National championship thread

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gonna be rough.
And at least this coming year, A&M has to play at Clemson too. :muttley:
But I like their chances in the coming years to make a splash

Wow. I can't beleive Clemson scheduled that one. The good news for A&M is that Clemson is losing their DL to the NFL draft.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Wow. I can't beleive Clemson scheduled that one. The good news for A&M is that Clemson is losing their DL to the NFL draft.
Yeah, they scheduled a home and home. Beat A&M in a good game to open this season in College Station--before Lawrence was established as the starter.
Clemson has 5 freshman dlineman (including the 2nd and 3rd rated 5 star DEs from 2018) that are total blue-chips just waiting their turn and 3 monster dline recruits coming in this spring.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Clemson is pretty good at developing receivers both Watkins and Hopkins were top ten picks. This kid is not different.
Hopkins was not a top ten pick. Should have been. He went 27th overall.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, they scheduled a home and home. Beat A&M in a good game to open this season in College Station--before Lawrence was established as the starter.
Clemson has 5 freshman dlineman (including the 2nd and 3rd rated 5 star DEs from 2018) that are total blue-chips just waiting their turn and 3 monster dline recruits coming in this spring.

I saw that. Still need seasoning. None of them are going to be Christian Wilkins year one. Alabama had the same problem this year replacing most of their DL. Its not easy year one. I expect Clemson to be an offensive juggernaut but without the dominant D.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They have a top 5 recruiting class coming in 2019. So, the needle is definetely pointing up for A&M. Its just an unfortunate thing for them that they are in the toughest division in all of college football. Not sure how you get through Alabama, Auburn, and LSU without a loss.
Well the needle has to slip down for those teams as it did Auburn and LSU a little recently . It probably won’t for Alabama until Saban is gone. That’s the bigger impass. And then you still have to beat who wins the East.

A&M would have had a much clearer path if had stayed in Big 12 but couldn’t stand being a second fiddle to Texas. So, instead they’ll be a second fiddle to at least Alabama and others on any given season.

Aggies had all the revenue and enough recruits they should have stayed put and been a bigger fish in a smaller pond.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well the needle has to slip down for those teams as it did Auburn and LSU a little recently . It probably won’t for Alabama until Saban is gone. That’s the bigger impass. And then you still have to beat who wins the East.

A&M would have had a much clearer path if had stayed in Big 12 but couldn’t stand being a second fiddle to Texas. So, instead they’ll be a second fiddle to at least Alabama and others on any given season.

Aggies had all the revenue and enough recruits they should have stayed put and been a bigger fish in a smaller pond.

For whatever reason, they weren't able to do what they are doing now in the SEC. The whole program just got a lot bigger and more money poured in. They finally got the coaching situation handled and Jimbo just hauled in a top 3 recruiting class. If they can continue stacking together these kinds of recruiting classes, they'll give anyone a game.

The tide are currently very thin on the defensive line next year as they were this year, and its unclear they have any pass rushers. This is the first time I can remember Alabama not having a 6-7 man DL rotation. They've got nobody anchoring that defense next year. Its going to be a real interesting Spring in Tuscaloosa.

DFWJC

Reaction score

Texas A&M surpassed both Ohio State and Texas to become rhe wealthiest athletic program in the country.
I agree that if all else was the same the path woyld be easier in the Big 12.
But when they left, things were pretty dicy there, with lots of uncertainty.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Texas A&M surpassed both Ohio State and Texas to become rhe wealthiest athletic program in the country.
I agree that if all else was the same the path woyld be easier in the Big 12.
But when they left, things were pretty dicy there, with lots of uncertainty.
Ags had never been an elite football program. They thought since they had become elite in generating revenue and attendance they should become elite program.

The year they left Manziel was Freshman. That season they could have contended for Big 12.