National championship thread

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So are you saying there are teams in Big12, Pac10, or Big10 that couldve gone undefeated with an SEC schedule this year?
Im not sure any could get through without 2 losses,let alone go undefeated. Who the SEC plays outside their conf schedule is almost irrelevant given the powers they play almost every week.

Anyway, I digress.
Cant believe Im being defender of the SEC in this thread
:laugh:

Its easy to defend the SEC. All you have to do is stick to actual facts.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It all depends how far you want to go back.

Obviously with Bama winning 5 in last 10 years the SEC has been dominant in this past era but that already appears to be evolving with Clemson winning 2 of last 3.

For example from 1997- 2005. SEC didn’t win any national championships.

Really? Tennessee isn't in the SEC? LSU?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think Clemson will be the top dog until someone knocks them off. Whats going to be interesting is how Dabo adapts when other programs start raiding his coaching staff. In college football with the reliance on recruiting, having continuity on staff is huge. Alabama is losing guys to TN and UGA b/c Saban's best recruiters are now head coaches at those programs.
It always comes down to recruiting.

And the top teams receive the top recruits. Will some of those be choosing Clemson instead of Bama or other SEC schools?

The Tide appears to be turning.

Just like I expect it to in Big 10 with Myer leaving and in Texas with Herman emerging.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It always comes down to recruiting.

And the top teams receive the top recruits. Will some of those be choosing Clemson instead of Bama or other SEC schools?

The Tide appears to be turning.

Just like I expect it to in Big 10 with Myer leaving and in Texas with Herman emerging.

Not everyone can play for Bama or wants to. Saban just lost a 5 star safety to Michigan. He'd been recruiting Trevor Lawrence since 10th grade. There is plenty of talent to go around. Alabama just gets more than their fair share. They just couldn't replace the entire defense in one off season.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My bad , forgot about them. And LSU wasn’t undisputed .

The bigger point is until Saban begin dominating the SEC didn’t dominate national championships.

Forgot LSU too

Point is that Saban dominating the SEC has cost Auburn and UGA national titles.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And probably cost other conferences and teams too.

Not really. Who in the ACC was going to win a national title if not for Clemson being in their way? Now, play that game in any other conference. Nobody can match the SEC's depth. Go look at the recruiting rankings. The top 3 teams are Alabama, UGA, and A&M

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Any statistics/trivia folks here know when was the last time Alabama lost a game by 28 points or more?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not really. Who in the ACC was going to win a national title if not for Clemson being in their way? Now, play that game in any other conference. Nobody can match the SEC's depth. Go look at the recruiting rankings. The top 3 teams are Alabama, UGA, and A&M
What I meant was if Ala wasn’t dominating other top teams from other power 5 conferences might have had a better shot.

History would support that when Ala wasn’t dominating the national championships neither was the SEC.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Again, Im.no SEC fan but people here sure are turning blue in the face trying convince others the conference isnt truly great in football.

They’re great at the top, obviously, and have several programs that have challened for and/or have won national titles

Alabama..several recent titles
Georgia..runnerup to Alabama for title last year...so would be champ otherwise
Auburn...won title in 2010
Florida....won title in 2008 and 2006
LSU....won title 2007
And so on....

Put it this way
Since Texas won the Big 12’s last national title way back in 2005....

SEC....9 national titles
ACC....3 national titles
Big10...1 national titles

Everyone else combined....0 national titles

————
And in the titles they didnt win, they were often runner-up.
I have a feeling A&M might even be challenging for their first title in the next 3-4 years as well
Just a guess

SEC is the best football conference. But many folks think once you get past the top 1 or 2 teams the conference isn’t head and shoulders better. I think that’s where fans argue. I think there’s quite a few teams that could finish with 9 or 10 wins playing Bama or UGA schedule. Same thing could be said about Clemson’s schedule.

SEC fans get sensitive about it for some reason. I know quite a few teams that could beat Louisville, ARK St., Ole Miss, Louisiana, ARK, Mizz, Tenn, Citadel, and Auburn this season.

Fans gotta be real with each other.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
SEC is the best football conference. But many folks think once you get past the top 1 or 2 teams the conference isn’t head and shoulders better. I think that’s where fans argue. I think there’s quite a few teams that could finish with 9 or 10 wins playing Bama or UGA schedule. Same thing could be said about Clemson’s schedule.

SEC fans get sensitive about it for some reason. I know quite a few teams that could beat Louisville, ARK St., Ole Miss, Louisiana, ARK, Mizz, Tenn, Citadel, and Auburn this season.

Fans gotta be real with each other.
It’s the best conference from top to bottom but they also have 16 teams and all state schools except Vandy.

The bigger point is until Saban begin dominating winning 5 of the last 10 championships the SEC wasn’t dominating national championships.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. 31.75 Points per Game
2. 35.33 Points per Game

1. Last four games Alabama has played and the number of points given up.
2. Last three games Alabama has played and the number of points given up.

Great vaunted SEC Alabama Defense...of course some will tell me they were not the same this year, which could be true but according to them the SEC is the Best and the SEC defenses are the best.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big 12 Teams vs SEC Teams this bowl season....3-1.
Big 12 had the best bowl record this season.

Clemson and Alabama are the best two teams in college football, but for those saying that the Sec or Acc are the best from top to bottom...the bowl games say otherwise

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s the best conference from top to bottom but they also have 16 teams and all state schools except Vandy.

The bigger point is until Saban begin dominating winning 5 of the last 10 championships the SEC wasn’t dominating national championships.

Do you even bother looking before posting? I gotta ask.

Alabama started its run in 2009. Prior to that Florida won in 2006 and 2008. LSU won in 2007 and was runner up in 2011. Auburn was runner-up in 2013. UGA was runner-up in 2018. The SEC has without question been dominating college football since at least 2006.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Do you even bother looking before posting? I gotta ask.

Alabama started its run in 2009. Prior to that Florida won in 2006 and 2008. LSU won in 2007 and was runner up in 2011. Auburn was runner-up in 2013. UGA was runner-up in 2018. The SEC has without question been dominating college football since at least 2006.
3 times in 10 years isn’t dominating.

Sorry but until Ala started dominating SEC wasn’t .

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. 31.75 Points per Game
2. 35.33 Points per Game

1. Last four games Alabama has played and the number of points given up.
2. Last three games Alabama has played and the number of points given up.

Great vaunted SEC Alabama Defense...of course some will tell me they were not the same this year, which could be true but according to them the SEC is the Best and the SEC defenses are the best.

If you don't have the interest in college football to understand that this years Alabama defense had very little in common from last years version, I can't help you. This years defense had to replace 8 defensive starters from last year including all 6 DBs......basically all their best players.

As for the conference, what your measure? NFL draft picks is "usually" a pretty good measure of conference talent.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo.../2018-nfl-draft-results-by-college-conference

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidc...fl-draft-for-12th-straight-year/#22f2cc235832

DFWJC

Reaction score
Opening odds for next year's title winner

Clemson +180
Alabama +250
Ohio Sate 12-1
Georgia 12-1
Michigan 14-1
Oklahoma 15-1
Texas 20-1
Nebraska 25-1
Washington 25-1
Florida 25-1
Notre Dame 25-1
Oregon 30-1

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3 times in 10 years isn’t dominating.

Sorry but until Ala started dominating SEC wasn’t .

You are factually incorrect. Since 2006, the SEC has been the best conference and you can't even make an argument for any other conference. That is 9 national titles in 13 years by 4 different schools. There isn't even a close second.

The SEC has also lead all other conferences in NFL draft picks for 12 consecutive years.

Last edited: