National championship thread

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If you don't have the interest in college football to understand that this years Alabama defense had very little in common from last years version, I can't help you. This years defense had to replace 8 defensive starters from last year including all 6 DBs......basically all their best players.

As for the conference, what your measure? NFL draft picks is "usually" a pretty good measure of conference talent.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo.../2018-nfl-draft-results-by-college-conference

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidc...fl-draft-for-12th-straight-year/#22f2cc235832
No doubt SEC had been dominant conf with Ala & LSU dominating draft last 10 years but it’s more on the OL, DL , defense overall and for RB’s.

QB , receivers and some key positions are coming more out of other conferences. Interesting breakdown.
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...e-programs-most-nfl-draft-picks-last-10-years

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Aside from the usual suspects lately, I do think that sometime in the next few years that Florida or Texas may get another one.
I'm curious about Tx AM going forward too. They've never won one, but I think with patience, they just might challenge in a few years.
And maybe not as an absolute champ, but a real riser, I actually think Virginia could get decent if they can keep their coach.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You are factually incorrect. Since 2006, the SEC has been the best conference and you can't even make an argument for any other conference. That is 9 national titles in 13 years by 4 different schools. There isn't even a close second.
But take Alabama’s out then it’s not dominating .

And the history of College football doesn’t revolve around the last 10 years which this current domination is driven by Alabama. It’s not a given SEC is dominating without it as is reflected in prior eras.

And could be reflected in upcoming era if Clemson continues their trend.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you don't have the interest in college football to understand that this years Alabama defense had very little in common from last years version, I can't help you. This years defense had to replace 8 defensive starters from last year including all 6 DBs......basically all their best players.

As for the conference, what your measure? NFL draft picks is "usually" a pretty good measure of conference talent.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo.../2018-nfl-draft-results-by-college-conference

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidc...fl-draft-for-12th-straight-year/#22f2cc235832

Big 12 beat the SEC this year in bowl games 3-1

Three of the power 5 conferences had a winning bowl Record
Big 12, Big 10 and with the Clemson win the ACC
SEC had a .500 bowl record

And quit with they lost this player and that player...every college team loses players all the time but not every college team has the depth of an Alabama.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Aside from the usual suspects lately, I do think that sometime in the next few years that Florida or Texas may get another one.
I'm curious about Tx AM going forward too. They've never won one, but I think with patience, they just might challenge in a few years.
And maybe not as an absolute champ, but a real riser, I actually think Virginia could get decent if they can keep their coach.
It usually runs in cycles.

Ala has been dominating this past era. But we’ve had others dominate their eras which weren’t all from the SEC.

And the current new era is already seeing a potentially new dominant team not from SEC.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big 12 beat the SEC this year in bowl games 3-1

Three of the power 5 conferences had a winning bowl Record
Big 12, Big 10 and with the Clemson win the ACC
SEC had a .500 bowl record

And quit with they lost this player and that player...every college team loses players all the time but not every college team has the depth of an Alabama.

How did the Big 12 do in games that actually mattered against the SEC?

Name another team that has had to replace 8 starters on one side of the ball ....... ever. Alabama doesn't need to make excuses. Though, the defense is down this year, they still won 14 games and beat the best team in the Big 12.

uvaballa

Reaction score
I like your optimism but I doubt Virginia plays for any national championships. They have a very good coach and will probably compete in the ACC soon but they don’t get enough top recruits to compete against the big boys. They would have to luck up like Va Tech did and get a guy like Vick at QB to compete.

DFWJC

Reaction score

And the history of College football doesn’t revolve around the last 10 years which this current domination is driven by Alabama. It’s not a given SEC is dominating without it as is reflected in prior eras.

I think he's talking about overall conferences. I like the ACC, but at least right now, it's Clemson and everyone else. I do think they have several teams that will get much better real soon (UVa and Miami, for example) Very weird to see Florida State down like this.

The SEC literally has 5-6 teams that could challenge for the national title in the near term (3-4 years)
Bama, Georgia, LSU, Florida, Auburn for sure. Maybe A&M, but since they never have its a stretch. Even though Ky was ranked very high, I can't put them in there yet.

I think the Big 12 has two legit contenders in the near term in OU and Texas. They have TCU and maybe OSU that have shot to catch lightening a bottle, but not real soon...imo.

Big 10 has Ohio State and now that the coach is gone, maybe Michigan can get past them. Then maybe Penn State. Some are real excited about Nebraska rising. Guess we'll see.

Pac 12. So hard to say. I don't any true title contenders but a handful of teams that could make noise--like Washington, Oregon, et al.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No doubt SEC had been dominant conf with Ala & LSU dominating draft last 10 years but it’s more on the OL, DL , defense overall and for RB’s.

QB , receivers and some key positions are coming more out of other conferences. Interesting breakdown.
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...e-programs-most-nfl-draft-picks-last-10-years

You still can't make a case for any other conference.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I like your optimism but I doubt Virginia plays for any national championships. They have a very good coach and will probably compete in the ACC soon but they don’t get enough top recruits to compete against the big boys. They would have to luck up like Va Tech did and get a guy like Vick at QB to compete.
Me neither. That's why I made sure to say that in my post.
:thumbup:
I just think they could be pretty strong soon.
Va Tech, Miami, FSU (if they right the ship) maybe Syracuse, and some others are all possibly going to get better, but still not national title type teams. To me, kind of like Ok St in the Big 12 when they have good year.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not trying to .

My point remains that without Alabama’s dominance it’s uncertain if SEC would have been as dominating.

It would just been another SEC team. Thats on par with your argument.

And while we are subtracting teams...... Whats the ACC without Clemson? The Big 12 with OU? The Big 10 without OSU....... Pac 10 without USC. Every conference has someone at the top of the heap. I think without Alabama , Auburn and LSU would have ruled college football.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Say we go back 20 years or so, when the BCS began.

Total number of titles and...
How about the number different teams that have won a title from each conference (as it is aligned today)

SEC (11): Alabama (5), Auburn (2), Florida (2), LSU (1), Tennessee (1)
ACC (5): Clemson (2), Florida State (2), Miami (1)
Big 12 (2): Oklahoma, Texas
Pac 10 (1): USC
Big 10 (1): Ohio State

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Say we go back 20 years or so, when the BCS began.

Total number of titles and...
How about the number different teams that have won a title from each conference (as it is aligned today)

SEC (11): Alabama (5), Auburn (2), Florida (2), LSU (1), Tennessee (1)
ACC (5): Clemson (2), Florida State (2), Miami (1)
Big 12 (2): Oklahoma, Texas
Pac 10 (1): USC
Big 10 (1): Ohio Sate

Though , technically, Miami was in the Big East when they won that national title.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It would just been another SEC team. Thats on par with your argument.

And while we are subtracting teams...... Whats the ACC without Clemson? The Big 12 with OU? The Big 10 without OSU....... Pac 10 without USC. Every conference has someone at the top of the heap. I think without Alabama , Auburn and LSU would have ruled college football.
It’s pure speculation if SEC would have been as dominating without Alabama’s dominance.

They certainly weren’t as dominating before Alabama’s run.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s pure speculation if SEC would have been as dominating without Alabama’s dominance.

They certainly weren’t as dominating before Alabama’s run.

Agreed. And its pure speculation the SEC wouldn't be dominating without Alabama. Those recruits would just end up at LSU or UGA or Auburn or Florida. Saban is a good coach but he wasn't this dominant at MSU or LSU. His dominance is due largely to the fact that he has been incredibly successful recruiting in his own backyard. You put Saban at Arizona State or Virginia Tech, and he's not winning anything. The overall point is that the SEC goes as the high school talent in this region goes.........and the talent keeps getting better. Thats why Urban Myer was all over Georgia and Florida recruiting. Harbaugh just stole a 5 star safety from Alabama. Clemson won their 2 national titles with Georgia born and bred QBs. Its the regional talent more so than the schools. More elite kids just happen to going to Alabama and Clemson at the moment.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They have a top 5 recruiting class coming in 2019. So, the needle is definetely pointing up for A&M. Its just an unfortunate thing for them that they are in the toughest division in all of college football. Not sure how you get through Alabama, Auburn, and LSU without a loss.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Paul Finebaum's show is going to be entertaining today. Phyllis from Mulga will probably have an aneurysm. :muttley:

DFWJC

Reaction score
They have a top 5 recruiting class coming in 2019. So, the needle is definetely pointing up for A&M. Its just an unfortunate thing for them that they are in the toughest division in all of college football. Not sure how you get through Alabama, Auburn, and LSU without a loss.
Gonna be rough.
And at least this coming year, A&M has to play at Clemson too. :muttley:
But I like their chances in the coming years to make a splash