NBA Playoffs 2023

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Anyone watching?

Going with Sir Charles recent take on Inside the NBA where you're wasting your time watching anything in the East other than Cavs vs Knicks. Milwaukee, Boston, and Philadelphia all had a failed season if they don't make it past the first round. Second round is where it starts to get interesting.

West is much more interesting for the first round. You have 3 Teams with Championship experience rosters that had so-so records in the Lakers, Clippers and Warriors that could get hot at the right moment. You have unknown or less heralded teams like the Kings and Grizzlies that could finally take that next leap in their franchise's history. The series I will enjoy the most - Sun and Clippers. Look forward to Kawhi and Durant going at it with a bunch of talented starters to surround them. Makes me wonder if this series is where the Champ will come out.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Anyone watching?

Going with Sir Charles recent take on Inside the NBA where you're wasting your time watching anything in the East other than Cavs vs Knicks. Milwaukee, Boston, and Philadelphia all had a failed season if they don't make it past the first round. Second round is where it starts to get interesting.

West is much more interesting for the first round. You have 3 Teams with Championship experience rosters that had so-so records in the Lakers, Clippers and Warriors that could get hot at the right moment. You have unknown or less heralded teams like the Kings and Grizzlies that could finally take that next leap in their franchise's history. The series I will enjoy the most - Sun and Clippers. Look forward to Kawhi and Durant going at it with a bunch of talented starters to surround them. Makes me wonder if this series is where the Champ will come out.
I think the champ likely comes out of the East. Boston and Milwaukee look like the most complete, but this could he Embiid's year too. West has some star power, so I wouldn't sleep on the likes of Denver, LAC, and Phoenix, but I think an East team take it this year. GS catching fire is also a possibility. Never sleep on a team with that kind of hardware

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think the champ likely comes out of the East. Boston and Milwaukee look like the most complete, but this could he Embiid's year too. West has some star power, so I wouldn't sleep on the likes of Denver, LAC, and Phoenix, but I think an East team take it this year. GS catching fire is also a possibility. Never sleep on a team with that kind of hardware
Both Embiid and Jokic are big men who need to do something now to seal their legacy like Giannis did recently. I know there are a lot of Celtics fans here, but I'm not much of one and would rather see Philly or the Bucks take it. Bucks probably the closest thing I have to a team that reminds me of what my Spurs were like in the dynasty years.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Can’t tell you the joy it brings me to see the Grizzlies knocked out the 1st round.

Another year of failure for the paper champs dynasty.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Hard to stomach hoops when injuries seal the deal on Playoff success. Even NFL teams go to the Super Bowl with backup QBs. I guess when you only have 5 starters, it counts. Could see the defeat on the Clips coach once George and then Kawhi were down. (Again!). No miracle injury comeback for Giannis this time.

Looking forward to the Nuggets/Suns series.

T-RO

Reaction score
All I do with the NBA now is look at occasional box scores. The league lost me.

AyeAtey

Reaction score
Very interesting in West, nothing straight forward nor predictable, but excitement.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How do you lose to the 76ers Game 1 at home without Embiid then win the next two with him playing

This has a strange playoffs

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Strange season finally comes to an end for the Dubs. I'm glad they at least made it to the second round of the playoffs. Would have hated to see the defending champs get taken out in the first round. They just could never seem to get on track this season. For a franchise that has done so many right things over the course of the past 8-9 years, the swing and miss on Wiseman hurt as well as the stalled development of Kuminga. I really think they should have done what they could to have secured a legit big man next to Looney.

This will probably be a really big offseason for the Warriors. They have to retool. They can't run it back. Poole should be shopped. They may let Draymond walk or do a sign and trade.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Huge game by Tatum yesterday. Most ever in a game 7.

You have to wonder if yesterday spells the end for James Harden as a marquee player. 7 of 27 from the field in games 6 and 7

ESisback

Reaction score
1)SO GREAT watching Steven A. cry after his Knicks get the boot..
2)Celtics prevail, like the best team should.
3)I PRAY that Denver eliminates the L.A. Lebrons, so the fawning can stop (or at least slow down a little)! But the rating$ people desperately want The Lebrons vs. Boston.

4)Boston over Miami in 6.
Denver SHOULD handle the Lebrons, but…

If the Lebrons lose, they’ll have to manufacture some Lebron drama so all the sports shows can run Lebron segments every hour every day until next season.

ESisback

Reaction score
Huge game by Tatum yesterday. Most ever in a game 7.

You have to wonder if yesterday spells the end for James Harden as a marquee player. 7 of 27 from the field in games 6 and 7
Considering that he’s not known for his defensive skill. At all.

T-RO

Reaction score
3)I PRAY that Denver eliminates the L.A. Lebrons, so the fawning can stop (or at least slow down a little)! But the rating$ people desperately want The Lebrons vs. Boston.

4)Boston over Miami in 6.
Denver SHOULD handle the Lebrons, but…

If the Lebrons lose, they’ll have to manufacture some Lebron drama so all the sports shows can run Lebron segments every hour every day until next season.
I grew up in Cali, a Laker fan.

As a kid for me it was Wilt, West, Elgin Baylor. As for how Wilt arrived in L.A. I would never have thought to ask or care about what drove the trade:
"On July 9th in 1968, the Philadelphia 76ers traded their superstar center Wilt Chamberlain to the Los Angeles Lakers in exchange for Darrell Imhoff, Archie Clark, and Jerry Chambers, plus an undisclosed amount of cash." - Sporting News
Years later in high school I was delighted to hear that my Lakers had acquired Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Never quite saw why the Bucks were interested in Elmore Smith or Brian Waters in the trade exchange. (draft picks were also included, but c'mon. This was the best player in the league.) My high school head simply thought: My team must be smarter and better...they keep getting the league's biggest stars.

The third notable Laker star in this stretch was acquired my senior year of high school, in even more curious fashion. Yet again it involved a small market team, the New Orleans Jazz (before their move to Salt Lake). I'll keep this summary brief: In exchange for 12th year fading veteran Gail Goodrich (12 points a game) the Lakers received the top pick in the draft, another first round pick and a second. Ergo: Magic Johnson, plus. You can try to tell me the Jazz owner didn't get a boat load of cash or other assets to facilitate the deal. You can try.

I arrived at UCLA and enjoyed a big Lakers dynasty. Huge fan. Then onto more curious acquisitions from small markets like Shaq. Only years later did I notice all the stank of the league, and generally lose interest in the game.

That all to say... in my cynicism... Go Nuggets.

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
I grew up in Cali, a Laker fan.

As a kid for me it was Wilt, West, Elgin Baylor. As for how Wilt arrived in L.A. I would never have thought to ask or care about what drove the trade:

Years later in high school I was delighted to hear that my Lakers had acquired Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Never quite saw why the Bucks were interested in Elmore Smith or Brian Waters in the trade exchange. (draft picks were also included, but c'mon. This was the best player in the league.) My high school head simply thought: My team must be smarter and better...they keep getting the league's biggest stars.

The third notable Laker star in this stretch was acquired my senior year of high school, in even more curious fashion. Yet again it involved a small market team, the New Orleans Jazz (before their move to Salt Lake). I'll keep this summary brief: In exchange for 12th year fading veteran Gail Goodrich (12 points a game) the Lakers received the top pick in the draft, another first round pick and a second. Ergo: Magic Johnson, plus. You can try to tell me the Jazz owner didn't get a boat load of cash or other assets to facilitate the deal. You can try.

I arrived at UCLA and enjoyed a big Lakers dynasty. Huge fan. Then onto more curious acquisitions from small markets like Shaq. Only years later did I notice all the stank of the league, and generally lose interest in the game.

That all to say... in my cynicism... Go Nuggets.
A good fan turned cynical by the league, players like Lebron, and the media. Common, nowdays. Sad, but keep on Truckin’!

T-RO

Reaction score
A good fan turned cynical by the league, players like Lebron, and the media. Common, nowdays. Sad, but keep on Truckin’!
My version of "truckin' with the NBA is occasionally checking box scores. I haven't watched even two minutes of a game in a long time.

ESisback

Reaction score
My version of "truckin' with the NBA is occasionally checking box scores. I haven't watched even two minutes of a game in a long time.
I watched about twenty minutes of the entire Celtics/6ers series. BIG drop off for me. Rigged for profit, and the NFL is trending that way too.