NBA Playoffs

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
NBA Season winding down. Play-In Tourney (#7-#10) starts April 12th, regular Playoffs start April 16th.

NBA.COM has a good breakdown that auto inserts current standings into a playoff tourney format.

NBA Team Standings & Stats | NBA.com

Current Standings:

Top 6 in the East (in order) - Heat, 76ers, Bucks, Celtics, Bulls, Cavs
#7-#10 (in order) - Raptors, Nets, Hornets, Hawks
#11 - Knicks, 5 games behind

Top 6 in the West (in order) - Suns, Grizzlies, Warriors, Jazz, Mavs, Nuggets
#7-#10 (in order) - Timberwolves, Clippers, Pelicans, Lakers
#11 - Spurs, 2 games behind

Hottest Teams right now: Celtics & Suns (9-1), Bucks & Grizzlies (8-2)
Coldest Teams right now: Clippers (2-8), Lakers & Bulls (3-7)

--------------------------------------------------

Looks like teams are starting to separate themselves permanently. I think the tourney this year is going to be pretty close to last year with a few exceptions such as the Hawks and Clipper's collapse. Warriors and Heat are back in the fold again.

Even Shaq said recently he thought the Lakers could go far when AD comes back, but I don't see any of the LA teams going anywhere. Kawhi not coming back, and as a Spurs fan, not surprised. Don't ever trust that guy for any injury timeline. Spurs still have a chance to catch up to the Lakers. I don't think anyone is surprised how much Westbrook has stunk it up. Suns remained hot as hell even with Chris Paul's injury, they're still the best team this year. Grizzlies the feel good story this year but I don't see anyone beating the Suns.

76ers starting to cool down after Harden trade but still a threat. I would hate to get the Nets in a first round. Simmons is a head case, he ain't coming back this year. But when Durant and Irving are on fire, that's still a tough team, and the restrictions on Irving are gone. I still think it's all on the Bucks again, unless their Big 3 don't get healthy come Playoff time. Sit and rest them, most of them have had some injuries lately, but nothing season ending. Bulls are sinking fast, Celtics are scary right now.

Mavs fans, what do you think your chances are this year? Hate to say it, but I'd give the Jazz or Nuggets better odds on going further, although Nuggets really need Jamal Murray back healthy. Looks like we're going to see some teams wiped out again this year from players not coming back. There was a lot of luck last year on injuries determining who went further, and looks the same this year. Suns are the only team that have proven they can still dominate with big injuries.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My Celtics have been on fire in 2022. They having been playing a very Spurs brand of basketball. Their switching and use of Robert Williams has really stiffled teams PnR. On top of that we have been in top 5 of offensive efficiency since the new. I think we have a good shot at a finals berth this year

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
My Celtics have been on fire in 2022. They having been playing a very Spurs brand of basketball. Their switching and use of Robert Williams has really stiffled teams PnR. On top of that we have been in top 5 of offensive efficiency since the new. I think we have a good shot at a finals berth this year

Yeah, I'd probably go with Celtics in the East and Grizzlies in the West as far as this year's Hawks and Clippers. Don't include the Heat and Warriors only because they were pretty good not that long ago, not surprising to see them back on top.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah, I'd probably go with Celtics in the East and Grizzlies in the West as far as this year's Hawks and Clippers. Don't include the Heat and Warriors only because they were pretty good not that long ago, not surprising to see them back on top.
Celtics had a down year last year, but they have made 3 ECF's since 2017

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Celtics had a down year last year, but they have made 3 ECF's since 2017

That's true, probably shouldn't sell them short. Off topic, but have you seen that new Lakers show on HBO Max. The guy playing Red Auerbach is great. They have a bit where Jery Buss meets Red and Auerbach treats him like a red-headed step child.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score

Your Celtics? They're MY Celtics! Lol

Absolutely love what PP has brought to the team since his minutes have increased. Now, if Derrick White can up his shooting percentage (+10-15%), they become an even scarier team and that is SCARY! :)

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's true, probably shouldn't sell them short. Off topic, but have you seen that new Lakers show on HBO Max. The guy playing Red Auerbach is great. They have a bit where Jery Buss meets Red and Auerbach treats him like a red-headed step child.
Haven't gotten a chance to yet

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Your Celtics? They're MY Celtics! Lol

Absolutely love what PP has brought to the team since his minutes have increased. Now, if Derrick White can up his shooting percentage (+10-15%), they become an even scarier team and that is SCARY! :)
Pritchard resurgence could be key. One of their weakeness was the lack of that outside sniper to play off of Tatum and Brown. Grant Williams has been very nice with the corner 3, but Pritchard stroking it from outside in the playoffs would be a big boost

DFWJC

Reaction score
I haven't completely tuned out the NBA.

After nearly 30 years of die-hard fandom and being a season-ticket holder, my NBA fandom pretty much collapsed over the last 3 years.
Gave up the season tickets 2 years ago and really haven't looked back

But I will watch some playoff games!

only two very minor wishes
  1. No title for Lebron
  2. Mavs have a respectable showing...though it won't kill me if they don't

ESisback

Reaction score
Months ago, Shannon Sharpe and Cowherd were BOTH fawning over the L.A. Lebrons, and the superstar dream team with all the big names…a DYNASTY! Meanwhile, the Celtics were quietly building chemistry. Now, the C’s are first in the East, while the Lakers are 10th in the West! Two days ago, I was clicking around and landed on Undisputed for about 12 seconds. A picture of Lebron and MVP talk! Comical!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Various:

Mavs move up to 4th in West last night beating Utah. Could see GS slip out of 3rd into 4th or even 5th at current rate.

Lakers had an abysmal off-season plan. I could not see why they were being ranked so high in off-season rankings. As good as LeBron is and he may well be the GOAT, he is equally bad as GM. His "need" to leave teams after he drives them into the ground definitely tarnishes his rep for me. Will be interesting to see how much power he has left at this big age. His buddies constantly leaking to media rubs a lot of teams the wrong way.

Kobe, Tim Duncan and Dirk ate bad seasons after they won it all and had the team age out on them. They didn't cry to the press or jump ship.

Phoenix is just so good man. Time to give them respect. Of all the teams I have 0 confidence facing in a series it is Phoenix as most scary for me.
They have all the elements (athletic defenders 3 point shooting, rim protection, rebounding, efficiency on offense, shut down defense).

John813

Reaction score
Heat are picking a wonderful time to **** the bed.

Never really expected them to be close to the #1 seed and now they are showing some cracks.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Heat are picking a wonderful time to **** the bed.

Never really expected them to be close to the #1 seed and now they are showing some cracks.
From afar not sure how much it matters. MIA has been so good up til now that they can implode a bit and still handle low seeds first couple rounds.

I'm not sure I'd expect them to win the East but it would be a nice run to make the ECF.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score

After nearly 30 years of die-hard fandom and being a season-ticket holder, my NBA fandom pretty much collapsed over the last 3 years.

1. No title for Lebron

Agree with all of this! Well except I never had season tickets and my fandom started to wane more than a decade ago. Not a LBJ fan

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

1. No title for Lebron
Well you def get wish 1.
LeBron is out for season and Lakers are not winning anything. In fact I think they are full on tanking to avoid the play-in tourney.

Mavs should have a decent showing. They look to be a 3 seed now given how everyone is playing.
And they should be able to win 2 series. Memphis is really good but Dallas has matched up with them extremely well.
Ja is a really good player but Luka is just a bit better at everything.

Phoenix is extremely good and I have no desire to face that team until the WCF.
Just too many weapons.

NBA is a tremendous product overall but there are grating factors.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
go bulls!

unfortunately i think they won’t get passed the first round. they are winless against top teams this season.

Phoenix will probably win it all this season.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Celtics got good new with that Robert Williams should be back for the 2nd round