NBA season 19-20 Part 2

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
If they shoot like did in game 1 they won't lose a game this series.
They have been phenomenal all year and LeBron obviously took all the criticism last year to heart and rectified all that stuff.
No wild music videos and such, just back to the grind, all about winning LeBron.
His performance this year is really hard to quantify.
Players just don't do that at his age.
I've never thought he was the GOAT but 12 more months (and 2 titles) playing at this level and he will most certainly declare himself so.
I was never a Lebron fan until he became a Laker, and even at first there was adjustment period for me. I will try not to participate in a Lebron GOAT discussion anytime soon. I want to see how long he stays a Laker, and how many finals he can win as a Laker. The Lakers still need to win this finals. After that game 1 it feels like the finals are over already, the Heat can easily turn things around with a solid game plan, maybe not a comeback but things can still get very interesting if the Lakers go to sleep.

kwcool619

Reaction score
I was not on board when it was announced that the NBA will resume. I have not watched any games until the first round of the playoffs (I did not watch tonight's game. Watching the I-5 series--Dodgers vs Padres). My impression was it seemed so generic with the digital fans and manufactured noise. I will say that it was a step above scrimmage games. No real human element. No feel of the arena. An asterisk by the NBA champion.

Usually at this time of the year, the NBA teams are getting ready for the new season. But at the present, this NBA season has lasted almost 50 weeks. I understand the COVID-19 times we are in currently. I am in the small minority who felt if all 30 teams could not equally finish the season, just end it and prepare for the 2020-21 season. As a Lakers fan, I would be so pumped up at a starting lineup of LBJ, AD, Bradley Beal, Javelle McGee, and Kyle Kuzma, with KCP, Caruso, Montrez Harrell off the bench.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I was never a Lebron fan until he became a Laker, and even at first there was adjustment period for me. I will try not to participate in a Lebron GOAT discussion anytime soon. I want to see how long he stays a Laker, and how many finals he can win as a Laker. The Lakers still need to win this finals. After that game 1 it feels like the finals are over already, the Heat can easily turn things around with a solid game plan, maybe not a comeback but things can still get very interesting if the Lakers go to sleep.
I've always been a LeBron fan but I don;t know that I ever was a fan the way I was with Jordan.

If I had to rank my top 5 guys today I'd still go:
Wilt
MJ
LeBron
Kareem
Kobe

But LeBron can emerge at top of this list based on longevity.

visionary

Reaction score
I've always been a LeBron fan but I don;t know that I ever was a fan the way I was with Jordan.

If I had to rank my top 5 guys today I'd still go:
Wilt
MJ
LeBron
Kareem
Kobe

But LeBron can emerge at top of this list based on longevity.

agree with that list

I’m a huge fan of both MJ and LeBron

both had the talent and the drive and the work ethic which differentiate the greats from the GOATs

the difference between the 2 comes down to 2 things:

1. how important one thinks is the ‘killer instinct’ at the end of games in clutch with the last shot to win or lose

2. Is it tougher to stay in one place, help build that team, keep that team focused and winning or is it tougher to go to 3 different teams, change their culture, build those teams and help them win

splitting hairs between the 2 IMO esp if LeBron wins 1-2 more titles

I don’t think you can go wrong with either

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
agree with that list

I’m a huge fan of both MJ and LeBron

both had the talent and the drive and the work ethic which differentiate the greats from the GOATs

the difference between the 2 comes down to 2 things:

1. how important one thinks is the ‘killer instinct’ at the end of games in clutch with the last shot to win or lose

2. Is it tougher to stay in one place, help build that team, keep that team focused and winning or is it tougher to go to 3 different teams, change their culture, build those teams and help them win

splitting hairs between the 2 IMO esp if LeBron wins 1-2 more titles

I don’t think you can go wrong with either

I'm a big fan of both as well, and probably will always think MJ is the greatest, but people give too much flak to Lebron about leaving Cleveland. There wasn't a single player in Cleveland who you could say was a difference maker prior to him leaving at the end of 2009-2010.

Antwaan Jamison, who was a mid season addition was pobably the second best player on that team. And let's not even give a serious look at the 2006-07 team he took to the finals. Cleveland's management sucked. They made poor decisions prior to Lebron having any front office influence. Letting Carlos Boozer go, when they still had a right to match was a colossal mistake. Yes, they were probably pissed he reneged on a verbal agreement, but they in essence cut their nose off to spite their face. Trading a 2007 draft pick in 2005 for Jiri Welsh and another that year for Sasha Pavlovic, but you could say neither move hurt due to the available players around the pick. But they weren't able to add a legit second star like a Scottie Pippen or even a third all star caliber player like a Horace Grant/Dennis Rodman.

Even the Miami team...which he won two championships with...had Dwayne Wade who is undoubtedly an all time great. But where does he rank among other "second best" players on championship teams? Ahead of guys like Tony Parker/Manu Ginobili, sure. Jason Terry, definitely. But Scottie Pippen? I'd say so, at least early on for the first finals loss and the two wins, but the loss against the Spurs? Not really. Kobe Bryant, definitely not. And Chris Bosh, while a good player, imo was over rated. He was a stat stuffer on an *at best* average team in Toronto. He had a lot of good offensive qualities, but he was honestly a very good *role* player akin to a Horace Grant but not quite a Dennis Rodman, who was obviously limited as well, but offensively as opposed to defensively. And after that, they just had a bunch of role players. Birdman, Ray Allen, Udonis Haslem (who some how is still in the NBA...), Mario Chalmers, I don't know, I just don't see a stacked team, like say Golden State *before* they added Kevin Durant.

And in Cleveland 2.0, I see the same thing. Great second star in Kyrie Irving and an over rated big man in Kevin Love, who was a stat stuffer on a bad team. JR Smith? Definitely played well, but he's an erratic volume shooter. Tristian Thompson was okay that year, but nothing special. Iman Shumpert? I actually think JR Smith is better...

So it's not like Lebron is joining these stacked teams and collecting rings. He's not suffering through ineptitude like Kevin Garnett or even being contempt with great success just short of a championship like Dirk was, which before everyone jumps on me, this is not a shot at Dirk. I just think it was more important for him to *compete* for a championship *in* Dallas than getting a better opportunity else where.

And let's be honest, all season everyone talked about how the Clippers were just better than the Lakers, so it's not even like people here think he had the best team.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of both as well, and probably will always think MJ is the greatest, but people give too much flak to Lebron about leaving Cleveland. There wasn't a single player in Cleveland who you could say was a difference maker prior to him leaving at the end of 2009-2010.

Antwaan Jamison, who was a mid season addition was pobably the second best player on that team. And let's not even give a serious look at the 2006-07 team he took to the finals. Cleveland's management sucked. They made poor decisions prior to Lebron having any front office influence. Letting Carlos Boozer go, when they still had a right to match was a colossal mistake. Yes, they were probably pissed he reneged on a verbal agreement, but they in essence cut their nose off to spite their face. Trading a 2007 draft pick in 2005 for Jiri Welsh and another that year for Sasha Pavlovic, but you could say neither move hurt due to the available players around the pick. But they weren't able to add a legit second star like a Scottie Pippen or even a third all star caliber player like a Horace Grant/Dennis Rodman.

Even the Miami team...which he won two championships with...had Dwayne Wade who is undoubtedly an all time great. But where does he rank among other "second best" players on championship teams? Ahead of guys like Tony Parker/Manu Ginobili, sure. Jason Terry, definitely. But Scottie Pippen? I'd say so, at least early on for the first finals loss and the two wins, but the loss against the Spurs? Not really. Kobe Bryant, definitely not. And Chris Bosh, while a good player, imo was over rated. He was a stat stuffer on an *at best* average team in Toronto. He had a lot of good offensive qualities, but he was honestly a very good *role* player akin to a Horace Grant but not quite a Dennis Rodman, who was obviously limited as well, but offensively as opposed to defensively. And after that, they just had a bunch of role players. Birdman, Ray Allen, Udonis Haslem (who some how is still in the NBA...), Mario Chalmers, I don't know, I just don't see a stacked team, like say Golden State *before* they added Kevin Durant.

And in Cleveland 2.0, I see the same thing. Great second star in Kyrie Irving and an over rated big man in Kevin Love, who was a stat stuffer on a bad team. JR Smith? Definitely played well, but he's an erratic volume shooter. Tristian Thompson was okay that year, but nothing special. Iman Shumpert? I actually think JR Smith is better...

So it's not like Lebron is joining these stacked teams and collecting rings. He's not suffering through ineptitude like Kevin Garnett or even being contempt with great success just short of a championship like Dirk was, which before everyone jumps on me, this is not a shot at Dirk. I just think it was more important for him to *compete* for a championship *in* Dallas than getting a better opportunity else where.

And let's be honest, all season everyone talked about how the Clippers were just better than the Lakers, so it's not even like people here think he had the best team.
I give LeBron zero flack for leaving CLE.
He wanted a different environment/organization and got it.

I do give LeBron flack for now being on his 4th stop. Leaving when the team has sold it's soul to add pieces FOR YOU, that's a negative to me.
LeBron is beyond great but any top 10 player could make a lot of Finals if he basically came up for FA every 2 years and decided to go to a team that had a great Finals chance.
So that part of his game I don't weight super heavily.
Dirk, Kareem, Magic, Bird and Kobe will always rank higher there with regard to loyalty.

All that said it is what it is. NBA has the most volatile yet exciting off-seasons of any major sport.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Clippers had more raw talent on the roster to be sure.
But just like the Lakers last year they started slow and never really got it all right.
LAL has been the best team since game 1 and it's a credit to them and LeBron that they were focused, driven and simply got the job done.
They have been absolutely dominant.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I give LeBron zero flack for leaving CLE.
He wanted a different environment/organization and got it.

I do give LeBron flack for now being on his 4th stop. Leaving when the team has sold it's soul to add pieces FOR YOU, that's a negative to me.
LeBron is beyond great but any top 10 player could make a lot of Finals if he basically came up for FA every 2 years and decided to go to a team that had a great Finals chance.
So that part of his game I don't weight super heavily.
Dirk, Kareem, Magic, Bird and Kobe will always rank higher there with regard to loyalty.

All that said it is what it is. NBA has the most volatile yet exciting off-seasons of any major sport.

I think it's clear that Miami would have found a way to re-tool around LeBron and they would have made it back to the finals. Maybe not as fast as Cleveland, but clearly, Riley has proven he's capable, so I can agree some what there. But even leaving Cleveland the second time, they just make horrible decisions. I don't even know if they gutted their team for Lebron. Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett and a 2015 first rounder was nothing. Wiggins is good, but him for Love is kinda fair given the competitive goals of each team at the time. Maybe I'd fault LeBron for the return in the Kyrie trade. They took a poor deal with the hope of competing again, but they were never going to beat Golden State and only future considerations should have been on the table.

But even with his return to Cleveland, I would not use the word loyal to describe Lebron. His goal is to win as many championships as possible. I don't think he would do what Durant did with Golden State, but anything short of that I think he would.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think it's clear that Miami would have found a way to re-tool around LeBron and they would have made it back to the finals. Maybe not as fast as Cleveland, but clearly, Riley has proven he's capable, so I can agree some what there. But even leaving Cleveland the second time, they just make horrible decisions. I don't even know if they gutted their team for Lebron. Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett and a 2015 first rounder was nothing. Wiggins is good, but him for Love is kinda fair given the competitive goals of each team at the time. Maybe I'd fault LeBron for the return in the Kyrie trade. They took a poor deal with the hope of competing again, but they were never going to beat Golden State and only future considerations should have been on the table.

But even with his return to Cleveland, I would not use the word loyal to describe Lebron. His goal is to win as many championships as possible. I don't think he would do what Durant did with Golden State, but anything short of that I think he would.
MIA: I think it's clear MIA would have been at least a 2-3 year re-tooling to get back to a Finals caliber team.
LBJ has zero patience for that even in a very strong ORG.

CLE: That one isn't really debatable, LBJ was the de facto asst GM with Rich pulling strings and even arguing directly to ownership for guys to get overpaid.
They locked up money, assets and lost Kyrie. CLE will be bad for a long time now.

I don't blame LBJ for these moves but I also can't credit him for going to the Finals all these times if he just jumps to new teams to keep doing so.

If AD is injured middle of next season and out a full calendar year doers LBJ even re-sign in LAL in 2021?
The fact we don't know the answer to that is rather a competitor flaw imho.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
CLE: That one isn't really debatable, LBJ was the de facto asst GM with Rich pulling strings and even arguing directly to ownership for guys to get overpaid.
They locked up money, assets and lost Kyrie. CLE will be bad for a long time now.

He definitely lobbied for guys like Tristian Thompson, and as much as a mistake it was, I can't fault him for helping a guy get paid. I don't see how LeBron gets blamed for Kyrie leaving.

And yes, they will be bad for a long time, but let's look at why. They resigned Kevin Love after Lebron left, tying a bunch of salary into him. In 2018 they drafted PG Colin Sexton over Shai Gailgeous-Alexander and Michael Porter Jr. We'll see what happens in regards to Darius Garland, another PG, but they're going to be bad due to bad decisions outside of Lebron.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He definitely lobbied for guys like Tristian Thompson, and as much as a mistake it was, I can't fault him for helping a guy get paid. I don't see how LeBron gets blamed for Kyrie leaving.

And yes, they will be bad for a long time, but let's look at why. They resigned Kevin Love after Lebron left, tying a bunch of salary into him. In 2018 they drafted PG Colin Sexton over Shai Gailgeous-Alexander and Michael Porter Jr. We'll see what happens in regards to Darius Garland, another PG, but they're going to be bad due to bad decisions outside of Lebron.
He didn't lobby for just one guy.
A lot of guys were brought in because he wanted them and/or overpaid once FA hit.
He and Kyrie did not get along and the team chose LBJ over Kyrie then LBJ bolted leaving them holding the bag.

They had no choice but to overpay Love because he was their best player and only vet trade asset.

Drafting has been abysmal to be sure but they were going to be bad either way as they didn't have enough cash or trade assets to rebuild anytime soon.
MPJ sat out a year and has finally rounded into a starter caliber guy of late. CLE needs day 1 starters.
0 draft picks in 2016 or 2017 followed by picking only 8th in 2018.
5th in 2019 might eventually pan out.
5th again in 2020 is a let down after being so bad but this draft has more depth than elite at top guys.

Team just hasn't drafted that high or well and definitely not drafted enough to make up for LBJ walking away leaving them with zero return.
Then with it all crumbling they let Rich Paul influence a full roster overhaul.

https://slate.com/culture/2018/02/t...lease-lebron-james-it-probably-wont-work.html

ghst187

Reaction score
Forget LeBron, it was just an awful series to watch for basketball fans who aren’t big Lakers fans.
Denver v Boston or Miami would’ve vastly more entertaining and better basketball.
Those other three teams have very balanced scoring and play really great team basketball.
Lakers playbook: Lebron bulldozes to rim and shoots free throws, play #2, Lebron bulldozes to the rim and either misses but Davis puts it in or Lebron sets up Davis for an easy lay in.
im waiting for someone to make a meme putting Lebrons face on Bald Bull from Mike tysons punch out doing the bull charge. It was gross basketball for the purists. im sure the Lakers fans will flame me but you know it’s true.