NBC: David Irving “working through” personal problems “the best that I can”

kevm3

Reaction score
Crazy how these people make as much money as they do.
Considering most of these guys leave the game essentially handicapped for your entertainment, I don't think they make enough.

T-RO

Reaction score
I feel the same way. Us non-judgmental open-minded people need to stick together because we're greatly outnumbered by the rest of these idiots that think they're perfect. ;)

You are “non-judgmental” and “open-minded” yet everyone you disagree with on this is “an idiot”. Hmmm... maybe think on that a bit.

I’m definitely in favor of patience in this case. Irving missed non-required sessions under very understandable personal circumstances.

I believe we humans ideally need a bit of mothering And a bit of fathering. We need understanding, compassion as well as toughness and high standards.

It’s interesting to look back of Parcells. He was tough as nails...yet he handled players like LT and his drug problems. He fired Quincy Carter but he also pursued Quincy—even years later—to try to get the guy back into football. Bill got involved personally with Quincy after football. Bill was tough AND caring. We need both.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Crazy how these people make as much money as they do.
It is more crazy that the majority of them don't know how to handle the money they get.

That is more of the issue. I have no problem with what pro football players make in relation to other sports professionals or especially entertainment artists.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Irving is at mini camp and participating. Where are people coming at with this “do your job” stuff?

I understand people want more out of him for the voluntary stuff. But at the end of the day, it is voluntary. As long as he in shape in time
For camp ready to play then, it should be fine.

So all these perfect people that has never taken a sick day, a PTO (personal time off) or a unexpected vacation day. The guy was even at OTA’s but worked on the side and has shown up to mini camp.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
We talking about millionaires here not someone fighting for survival.
Also the window of opportunity for this team to win is very small and limited. we keep babysitting players we will be stuck in a vicious circle of mediocrity for a long time.

That’s is true but each situation is different and showed be dealt as such.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
lot of ordinary American workers go thru lots of personal problems and still do the job they are hired to do every day this just seems like a excuse to me for irving he needs to grow up and handle his problems and do his job

Yes he does and let’s give him the time to grow up. Do you even know how old he is? 95% of males don’t mature until 25/27 years old.

CPanther95

Reaction score
You are “non-judgmental” and “open-minded” yet everyone you disagree with on this is “an idiot”. Hmmm... maybe think on that a bit.

The way my post soared over your head is going to inadvertently turn my sarcasm into truth.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Not everyone is in a custody fight for a child with an ex accusing them of domestic abuse.

Life and family before team.

He obviously had judgment issues in the past. He may actually be cleaning up his life now.
If this is a serious deal for him than I applaud him for putting his child first. He could be doing what countless other players are doing, which is ignoring their offspring. You can say football is his responsibility, but that pales in relation to his kid. At least it appears he is taking that responsibility seriously, which is better than a lot of people.

Wood

Reaction score
I think I have this figured out. David needs to grow hair out and just be that crazy guy on field who intimidates other teams with his unpredictability.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Also the window of opportunity for this team to win is very small and limited. we keep babysitting players we will be stuck in a vicious circle of mediocrity for a long time.

And if we cut every player with some talent because they don't meet angry fans' purity tests, what do you think is going to happen to that vicious circle? Some of y'all want to cut talented players because they sneeze without covering up and act like we can replace them with just any old UDFA.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I know his mind isn't right and it's hard to work and get focused when dealing with these types of issue.

I'd tell him to just show up to camp and try your best and we understand that these types of issues can sap your strength, focus, and will.

Had a buddy who had a failed engagement and he lost so much weight, couldn't function right for about 2-3 months. He bounced back though

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Everyone has “personal problems”. Everyone.

Not everyone is unable to continue their commitment to being a professional because of their personal problems. There are probably a dozen Cowboys players currently fighting through some big personal or family issues and somehow they are able to stay in shape, be on time, and remain completely capable of doing their job well.

This kind of stuff is why David Irving should not get a second contract. This kind of unreliability is a fundamental flaw that should prevent the Cowboys from staying committed to Irving. He has talent, but it takes a lot more than talent to be a successful professional athlete.

He has to find a place and someone to nanny his kids. That's a difficult problem for anyone.

Az Lurker

The Lurker
Reaction score
The lack of compassion for a man going through a custody battle is kind of staggering to me. He's young and kind of wild but he's been trying to secure the safety and well being of his child while ending a multi-year relationship that's involving courts and police statements. He hasn't missed any mandatory activities and we're still 2.5 months away from real football, give the guy a chance to get his life in order so he can focus on his job once the season starts.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It is more crazy that the majority of them don't know how to handle the money they get.

That is more of the issue. I have no problem with what pro football players make in relation to other sports professionals or especially entertainment artists.

Unfortunately It’s and indictment on the education system too. I mean I know all schools aren’t the same, but my high school didn’t teach us jack squat about how to manage money, investment, etc.

The most they taught us was how to balance a checkbook. As of addition and subtraction is that hard....

bud914

Reaction score
i'm not saying we should coddle him by any means. It's the offseason, give him a chance to take care of his daughter and family problems first and then make sure he is ready to go for the season...

bud914

Reaction score

not sure any of us would have been much better in our early 20's. a lot of them are out of the league before 30 and are not set up for life but they could have been.

for those who have the proper guidance to invest wisely 4 or 5 years in the league can set you up for life