WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Network free-for-Al

NBC, ESPN battle to land Michaels

header_tuningin.gif

Since Dick Ebersol inked John Madden last month for the Peacock's "Sunday Night Football" package, which debuts in 2006, inquiring minds are wondering what the NBC Sports boss' next move will be.

His EbNess has said he was interested in pursuing Al Michaels, Madden's ABC "Monday Night Football" booth mate. ABC Sports/ESPN boss George Bodenheimer made Madden an offer to join ESPN's "Monday Night Football" team (that package debuts in 2006, too), but the Big Man turned that offer down.

What's left of our brain tells us Mr. Bodenheimer likely has pitched Michaels on becoming his No. 1 NFL play-by-play man. This is a move with two faces. ESPN needs to save face after losing Madden, who was a member in good standing of the Disney/ABC/ESPN family. Bodenheimer also needs a marquee face for what clearly will be the most high-profile sports package ESPN has ever aired.

NBC is committed to paying Madden $24 million over six years. It is highly doubtful Ebersol is going to shell out that kind of moo-la-di to land Michaels. Especially when he will have to grease the palm of one Mr. Bob (Rapping Roberto) Costas.

You think Costas is going to tell Ebersol: "I know our cap number is low, but I'm a team player. Go right ahead and defer my salary a couple of years. Just make me a balloon payment in 2011."

Ah, not quite.

So it is safe to say ESPN will be willing to pay Michaels more than NBC would (a couple of reports put his ABC salary - MNF and NBA - at around $7 million per).

If that is the case, Michaels, who has spent nearly his entire career as a major player on network television, has a choice. He can make more money working an NFL package on cable TV (with no playoffs or Super Bowls included) or less doing NFL play-by-play for NBC, where he will also have a chance to call playoff games and two Super Bowls.

This is not an easy decision.

Say ESPN offers Michaels $2 million a year more than NBC. Michaels would have to leave $12 million on the table to work for Ebersol. Man, that's a lot of bread.

Anyway, if Michaels does decide to stay in the Disney family and go to ESPN, it would surprise no one if Ebersol teams Tom Hammond with Madden. Three reasons: 1) It would be an economical move. 2) Hammond's no-nonsense, focused style would give Madden plenty of room to do his thing (just like the Madden/Pat Summerall team). 3) Loyalty. Hammond already is the voice of NBC's football coverage (Arena and Notre Dame).

Other than Ebersol saying he has "interest" in Cris Collinsworth, mum has been the word on the Fox game and HBO studio analyst. Something must be percolating. Before Ebersol signed Madden, Collinsworth was considered a double candidate (booth or studio) at NBC. Even with Madden in the fold, would Ebersol move Collinsworth into the booth as a play-by-play voice? That all depends on what Michaels ultimately decides to do.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/326606p-279247c.html

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
NBC wants Michaels and Collinsworth? What the heck for? Both guys suck.

"Lipless" and the "Pencil Necked Geek" there's a winning pair. Now all they need is to bring in Joey-T and they will be all set. :shoot4:

1fisher

Reaction score
I can't stand Collinswod......I rank him in the same class as Thiesman.. :pee: :puke: :D

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
It's amazing what a lack of good broadcasters there is for football.

Collinsworth sucks... but he can't hold a candle to the almighty King of Sucking- Theisman.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
CactusCowboy said:
Michaels sucks? Your crazy. He is a true professional. Who do you like?

Michaels a true professional? Based on what? Are you his mom or something?

Let give you a litany of reasons why I think he sucks:

1. His focus is NOT on the game but on pontificating about his views.

1a. He frequently ignores the game being played on the field to rant about something completely unrelated to the game on the field.

2. He is blatantly biased for and against certain teams and this comes out in his commentary.

2a. He is just as blatantly biased for and against certain players and has let his opinions be known in no uncertain terms.

3. Over the years he has pushed out anyone who might threaten his standing in the MNF booth except Madden (Frank Gifford is prime example). Not to mention several folks at ABC who have said that he is a total A-Hole to work with.

4. He has pushed for the entertainment factor over the sports focus on MNF.

5. If the game is not exciting he will tend to ignore it and go off on a tangent.

6. He has no upper lip.

Guys I like (there aren't many):

Dick Enberg, Pat Summerall, Dick Stockton, Troy Aikman, Moose Johnston, & Joe Buck.

Reaction score
I agree Thumper, Al "Mobster" michelle SUCKs...

The single most overrated Sports broadcasting type in the history of sports...

Who can ever forget his "Tow the Mob line" quote when his boss "Eddie The crime boss" Debartolla was caught paying off New Orleans Gambling officials...

When the NFL announced that Eddie would no longer be allowed to own the "Mobby Whiners" he said in his best Mob voice...
"Fo whaat"?

He knows next to nothing about football as well...
He should stick with Golf...

Sifillest

Reaction score
damn its unfortunate all the potentially best play by play guys are on nfl sunday countdown....i salivate at a tom jackson/madden combo.....or he could give him troy aikman....i donno but im tired of michaels and chris collinsworth is an annoying guy....hopefully we will be pleased with the final product

kartr

Reaction score
Hollywood Henderson said:
I agree Thumper, Al "Mobster" michelle SUCKs...

The single most overrated Sports broadcasting type in the history of sports...

Who can ever forget his "Tow the Mob line" quote when his boss "Eddie The crime boss" Debartolla was caught paying off New Orleans Gambling officials...

When the NFL announced that Eddie would no longer be allowed to own the "Mobby Whiners" he said in his best Mob voice...
"Fo whaat"?

He knows next to nothing about football as well...
He should stick with Golf...

Or breaking Knee caps for Eddie D.

CanadaBoys

Reaction score
No offense... As great as Moose and Aikman were as players they stink as broadcasters.... hey are both quiet and modest types, which doesn't work int he booth.