NBC Sports-Dallas Cowboy rumors aren't going away for Sean Payton-PFT

Diehardblues

Reaction score
the only way you'll see someone else is injury or sale of the team. Now there does exist the slight possibility that Dak flunks this year they may not commit to him but all signs point to Dak being successful. And of course you being an avid cowboy fan that what your hoping right? I know Jerry loves him some Dak and Garrett will be gone before Dak
I’m hoping for what’s best for Cowboys Football long term. Anything that includes Jerry doesn’t provide me much hope.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, just taking on the tough discussions and members who seem to bully others.

Oh please. Now you're going to try to play some "victim" here? When you're the guy who just wants to spread his "anti-Jerry propaganda" at every turn?

You're not "taking on" anything here. You forget the key component of your "opinion" having any value by never having support for anything you claim. It's just noise.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oh please. Now you're going to try to play some "victim" here? When you're the guy who just wants to spread his "anti-Jerry propaganda" at every turn?

You're not "taking on" anything here. You forget the key component of your "opinion" having any value by never having support for anything you claim. It's just noise.
But you’re still here? All opinions are noise. You don’t like the noise .

Are you denying Jerry is the core cause of the dysfunctional organization? Most would agree.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But you’re still here? All opinions are noise. You don’t like the noise .

Your opinions are noise. Other people actually back up theirs.

Are you denying Jerry is the core cause of the dysfunctional organization? Most would agree.

No they wouldn't. You don't get to speak for "most", just yourself. More delusions.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I said the team Parcells left us. Do we need to argue that all over again?

If your perception things are improving helps you get thru each season, that’s fine. My hope is very limited. And my expectations have been limited for years. Because of one factor.

And that's still 13 years ago, and even if that team was as good as this one, that isn't the question isn't about where it peaked, it's sustaining and building from it. The current Cowboys were built on a steadfast focus on good drafts and salary cap management, and that focus doesn't seem to be wavering. I don't know if it's enough to get them to the promised land - I tend to think they may have gone a bit too conservative with how they look at outside free agents - but it doesn't seem likely to crash like it did at the end of Phillips stint as head coach. QB is still the vulnerable spot to me though, and although I'm not all in on Dak, I think the team still would take a big hit if it had to rely on Rush or White.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And that's still 13 years ago, and even if that team was as good as this one, that isn't the question isn't about where it peaked, it's sustaining and building from it. The current Cowboys were built on a steadfast focus on good drafts and salary cap management, and that focus doesn't seem to be wavering. I don't know if it's enough to get them to the promised land - I tend to think they may have gone a bit too conservative with how they look at outside free agents - but it doesn't seem likely to crash like it did at the end of Phillips stint as head coach. QB is still the vulnerable spot to me though, and although I'm not all in on Dak, I think the team still would take a big hit if it had to rely on Rush or White.

Player personnel has done its job in my opinion. It's in the Xs and Os where this team gets overmatched.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Player personnel has done its job in my opinion. It's in the Xs and Os where this team gets overmatched.

I agree, although they still manage to get close enough in the division round that one decision, or one turnover, or one circumstance could easily be enough to move them into the NFC championship game. That's why even though I like Garrett on a human level, I have been in favor of replacing him the last few years. Getting over the hump has been too much of a challenge for him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, although they still manage to get close enough in the division round that one decision, or one turnover, or one circumstance could easily be enough to move them into the NFC championship game. That's why even though I like Garrett on a human level, I have been in favor of replacing him the last few years. Getting over the hump has been too much of a challenge for him.

The playoffs is when coaching matters most, and that's why this team routinely gets outclassed there.

I think Garrett would do a fine job in a team's personnel department. And he likes to play it safe and not take risks. Unfortunately, that same risk averse nature is a hindrance when it comes to coaching on gameday.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The playoffs is when coaching matters most, and that's why this team routinely gets outclassed there.

I think Garrett would do a fine job in a team's personnel department. And he likes to play it safe and not take risks. Unfortunately, that same risk averse nature is a hindrance when it comes to coaching on gameday.
No doubt Garretts strengths aren’t on Game Day. And I’ve called him a Walk Around GM. But that’s just noise.

While I critic his Game Day gaffs I also applaud his influence with Jerry. We had the greatest HC this era in Parcells but he couldn’t deal with Jerry’s meddling.

This is why I defend Garrett. Because the culture is much better with him. So, until Jerry is ready to give it up and totally get out of the way I’m not very hopeful he’ll attract anyone greater who’d deal with foolishness and ego.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes but we had the same challenges with Wade and Bill too. On teams with similar talent level.

I seriously haven’t seen a Cowboy team this era that deserved to go much further than it has with the exception of 2007.

Yes, it’s been close but not what I’d argue were greater teams that they lost too. Very marginal at best.

I truly didn’t see as many coaching errors as lesser player performances on the bigger stages. Our best talent doesn’t have those signature games when we need it the most.

I certainly didn’t think we had a better team than anyone in Final 4 last year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No doubt Garretts strengths aren’t on Game Day. And I’ve called him a Walk Around GM. But that’s just noise.

While I critic his Game Day gaffs I also applaud his influence with Jerry. We had the greatest HC this era in Parcells but he couldn’t deal with Jerry’s meddling.

Parcells was done with coaching. That's why he's left, not because of some boogeyman Jerry Jones story. Bill himself is the first to say he's enjoyed working with Jerry. Parcells own words run completely counter to your argument.

If Jerry "chased Parcells off", why is it that he never took a head coaching job again?

This is why I defend Garrett. Because the culture is much better with him.

Maybe, but that "culture" hasn't won them the games when they've mattered most. His shortcomings in X's and O's have outweighed any positive cultural impact, or stability in the scouting department. Ultimately, your coach has to be a good coach.

So, until Jerry is ready to give it up and totally get out of the way I’m not very hopeful he’ll attract anyone greater who’d deal with foolishness and ego.

I think Sean Payton is exactly that guy. Payton simply wants to coach his offense. That's all he's ever wanted. He's content to allow a number cruncher in Mickey Loomis handle all of the GM stuff in New Orleans and he's never made a play for more power. He wants to be an offensive coordinator with the head coach title. Give him a good defensive coordinator and he's wins.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Parcells was done with coaching. That's why he's left, not because of some boogeyman Jerry Jones story. Bill himself is the first to say he's enjoyed working with Jerry. Parcells own words run completely counter to your argument.

If Jerry "chased Parcells off", why is it that he never took a head coaching job again?

Maybe, but that "culture" hasn't won them the games when they've mattered most. His shortcomings in X's and O's have outweighed any positive cultural impact, or stability in the scouting department. Ultimately, your coach has to be a good coach.

I think Sean Payton is exactly that guy. Payton simply wants to coach his offense. That's all he's ever wanted. He's content to allow a number cruncher in Mickey Loomis handle all of the GM stuff in New Orleans and he's never made a play for more power. He wants to be an offensive coordinator with the head coach title. Give him a good defensive coordinator and he's wins.
And that’s not noise? Lol

Of course Jerry ran Bill off early. That was certainly sentiment here locally. It’s not like Bill would have admitted it publicly. He’s a a class act but believe what you will.

And he wasn’t looking for a HC job when he took Dallas position. If he was ready to completely retire why go to Miami and be VP?

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I’d love to have Payton and any legit coaching staff. But Jerry’s not going to allow someone to come in and steal his thunder. Especially when Jerry is as close as he thinks he is. Jerry doesn’t want to win that bad or he’d of stepped away years ago.

This is why we have puppets as HC. Jerry wants the credit he didn’t receive with Jimmy. There’s only one way. And that’s Jerry’s way. It’s why Garrett is here.

And you wonder why Jerry is my key target. Because it’s him that isn’t allowing a better organization. Jason is just my pet puppet.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And that’s not noise? Lol

Of course Jerry ran Bill off early. That was certainly sentiment here locally. It’s not like Bill would have admitted it publicly. He’s a a class act but believe what you will.

And he wasn’t looking for a HC job when he took Dallas position. If he was ready to completely retire why go to Miami and be VP?

He didn't "go to Miami" to be a head coach. The fact is that at his age, Parcells was done with the grind that being head coach demands. Look up the man's own words.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He didn't "go to Miami" to be a head coach. The fact is that at his age, Parcells was done with the grind that being head coach demands. Look up the man's own words.
Sometimes you must read between the lines. If I could copy the Dallas Morning News I could provide you several columns on the subject.

It’s becoming very suspect how you don’t ever seem want to place any burden on how Jerry runs Cowboys Football.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d love to have Payton and any legit coaching staff. But Jerry’s not going to allow someone to come in and steal his thunder. Especially when Jerry is as close as he thinks he is. Jerry doesn’t want to win that bad or he’d of stepped away years ago.

This is why we have puppets as HC. Jerry wants the credit he didn’t receive with Jimmy. There’s only one way. And that’s Jerry’s way. It’s why Garrett is here.

And you wonder why Jerry is my key target. Because it’s him that isn’t allowing a better organization. Jason is just my pet puppet.

I don't think Payton would demand anything more than what Garrett already has. Read up on Payton's relationship with Jerry. They're very close. Payton knows who Jerry is. He won't be surprised by anything. And again, look at Payton's track record. He wants to coach his quarterback and his offense, he doesn't care about much after that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sometimes you must read between the lines. If I could copy the Dallas Morning News I could provide you several columns on the subject.

It’s becoming very suspect how you don’t ever seem want to place any burden on how Jerry runs Cowboys Football.

Not "any" burden. But unlike you, not "all burden".

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes but we had the same challenges with Wade and Bill too. On teams with similar talent level.

I seriously haven’t seen a Cowboy team this era that deserved to go much further than it has with the exception of 2007.

Yes, it’s been close but not what I’d argue were greater teams that they lost too. Very marginal at best.

I truly didn’t see as many coaching errors as lesser player performances on the bigger stages. Our best talent doesn’t have those signature games when we need it the most.

I certainly didn’t think we had a better team than anyone in Final 4 last year.

Sometimes it's just a matter of the more you are at the dance, the more opportunity you have to advance in the competition. I don't disagree that we have had some good teams in the past, but we haven't sustained or built beyond it to improve our chances. Obviously we can't know for certain how it far it will go this time, but again, the approach that has built what we have has been consistent, and we are winning the division and getting to the division round of the playoffs with more regularity than at any times since the early to mid 1990's. That at least points in a good direction.

Last edited: