NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

uvaballa

Reaction score
Congrats to UVa, but come on, it went to overtime so obviously could've easily gone either way.

Man UVA got leads but always let teams back in it for some reason. We were fortunate Jerome and Hunter played better than Mooney and Culver. I actually never panicked even when they were down 3.

ACC has now tied PAC 10 for most b-ball championships. We should pass them soon.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Man UVA got leads but always let teams back in it for some reason. We were fortunate Jerome and Hunter played better than Mooney and Culver. I actually never panicked even when they were down 3.

ACC has now tied PAC 10 for most b-ball championships. We should pass them soon.
Its beyond insane that one league currently has six different teams that have won NCAA basketball titles in last 25 years or so.

And yes, they'll pass the Pac 12 with all their titles from 30-40 years ago.

It does sound like UCLA is making a hard push to finally become relevant again.

Last edited:

uvaballa

Reaction score
Its beyond insane that one league currently has six different teams that have won NCAA basketball titles.

And yes, they'll pass the Pac 12 with all their titles from 30-40 years ago.

It does sound like UCLA is making a hard push tofi ally become relevant again.
UVA also only has one senior and he doesn’t start anymore. They may compete for another title next year.

Man I have a ton of respect for Chris Beard and his program. He just needs to stay where he is and he’ll get a ring.

UVA top 3 was just better than TTU guys.

DFWJC

Reaction score
UVA also only has one senior and he doesn’t start anymore. They may compete for another title next year.
The way its going, UNC wont give the a problem after losiing 5 key players

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hopefully Culver stays for next year at Tech and improves his game.

His past few games in the tournament stunk, but he’s young and has a lot of growing potential.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Hopefully Culver stays for next year at Tech and improves his game.

His past few games in the tournament stunk, but he’s young and has a lot of growing potential.
Hunter just outplayed him tonight. I doubt either stays though since they’re both lottery picks.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
And the East Coast has yet another championship crown. Congrats Virginia on your first Championship! Well earned and deserved.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Said all year those two teams were my faves to watch and the best coached.
They were mirrors of each other with a bellcow lotto pick, great outside shooting and super tough defensive mentality.
That proved out.
Was a great game that went to OT and Tech was up 3 with 3 left in OT before UVA closed it out.
Hunter was simply the best player Tech had faced in this tourney and first since Zion to beat the defense.
Super impressive kid that I'd love to have on the Mavs.

All year Tech took teams into deep waters with defense and drowned them. UVA was up to that task and it was Tech who faded late in OT.
The rest of the talk is nonsense LOL.
The Big 12 won the womens title, the NIT and took the men's Championship game to OT with a 10 team conference.
It finished the top ranked conference by KenPom and was top to bottom the most competitive nightly.
Kansas and KST lost key players or they would have advanced farther than they did.

Culver was worn down by a long tourney and the demand placed on him at both ends but he is special and will be a great pro. He's been compared to PG13 frequently.
Hunter was sensational and that size and range are special.

These two teams will both be good as long as they have those coaches.
Tech has its highest rated incoming class in its history.
They were picked pre-season 7th in a 10 team conference no need to shed tears for them as they continue to obliterate expectation.
Watching Beard re-load will be quite fun as he drew that team up out of the dust and now has recruiting power galore.
Beard is the heir apparent to Bob Knight and his coaching will work anywhere but hopefully it remains right where it is.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Zero doubt they both go and make millions.
Hunter made himself a lot of money last night.
Yeah I think Hunter will move up in the draft. He’s being compared to Kawai because he plays on both ends at a high level.

You were right these teams were basically the same. I hadn’t watched TTU games but they looked just like UVA. Fortunately we will probably only lose Hunter and Salt for next year.

TTU has to hope they can keep Beard because he’s a great coach.

MizzouCowboy4

Reaction score

Man I have a ton of respect for Chris Beard and his program. He just needs to stay where he is and he’ll get a ring.

UVA top 3 was just better than TTU guys.

Culver had a poor tourney

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Culver had a poor tourney
Naw, he had a poor shooting tourney but he showed his overall quality.
He finished out Mich St. and was generally the closer all tourney.
Against UVA he was 15 points 9 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals and a block.
Culver will be drafted very high.
Tech will have to really work to replace him thought they do have a lot of talent incoming.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yeah I think Hunter will move up in the draft. He’s being compared to Kawai because he plays on both ends at a high level.

You were right these teams were basically the same. I hadn’t watched TTU games but they looked just like UVA. Fortunately we will probably only lose Hunter and Salt for next year.

TTU has to hope they can keep Beard because he’s a great coach.
No doubt TTU is throwing Beard anything he wants.
He is up to 600K just in bonuses.
I don't see him having any interest in leaving given what he has built.
He's untouchable now in Lubbock and its most beloved citizen.

He has turned down everyone that has approached including UCLA, ARK and TAMU. I don't see any job that would be more rewarding.

One of the true blue bloods could make him the highest paid coach in history and steal him but I doubt they want to do that and I'm not sure that fits his style of coaching.
He loves the underdog role and underdog players.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No doubt TTU is throwing Beard anything he wants.
He is up to 600K just in bonuses.
I don't see him having any interest in leaving given what he has built.
He's untouchable now in Lubbock and its most beloved citizen.

He has turned down everyone that has approached including UCLA, ARK and TAMU. I don't see any job that would be more rewarding.

One of the true blue bloods could make him the highest paid coach in history and steal him but I doubt they want to do that and I'm not sure that fits his style of coaching.
He loves the underdog role and underdog players.

Don’t kid yourself jterrell.

If a big name blue blood school comes along and throws millions of dollars at Beard, he is as good as gone.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Although UT is not remotely a "blue blood" basketball program, I guess that is always a possibility because it's his alma mater.

On the other hand, I didn't realize Beard went to HS in Texas plus both colleges (Abilene Christian and Texas), so that bodes well to him being happy to stay in state....and maybe in Lubbock

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Although UT is not remotely a "blue blood" basketball program, I guess that is always a possibility because it's his alma mater.

On the other hand, I didn't realize Beard went to HS in Texas plus both colleges (Abilene Christian and Texas), so that bodes well to him being happy to stay in state....and maybe in Lubbock
He made his chops as an assistant to Bobby Knight; whom he considers his mentor, at Tech.
But yup he is a Texas guy through and through. Whataburger and country music.

Tech had more fans in Austin this year for games versus UT than UT did.
I don't see Beard leaving for UT.
But he is a hot name and will be offered by anyone with an opening.
Thus far he quickly shuts those people down.

He was an asst at Tech for 10 years. His roots are all in West Texas soil.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He made his chops as an assistant to Bobby Knight; whom he considers his mentor, at Tech.
But yup he is a Texas guy through and through. Whataburger and country music.

Tech had more fans in Austin this year for games versus UT than UT did.
I don't see Beard leaving for UT.
But he is a hot name and will be offered by anyone with an opening.
Thus far he quickly shuts those people down.

He was an asst at Tech for 10 years. His roots are all in West Texas soil.
Could be Tech's Mark Few

yimyammer

Reaction score
And the East Coast has yet another championship crown. Congrats Virginia on your first Championship! Well earned and deserved.
2y49jm.jpg

giphy.gif

I graduated from Tech