Twitter: Neal's off to good start

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Neal has been playing good so far. It really is a great idea to have moved him from SS to WLB. He went from being slow for a safety to being really fast for a LB. The guy is physical enough to play weak side and his coverage for a LB will be good.

A nice situational piece for Quinn to use.

As for Jaylon… I don’t really love him as a starting LB. However, last year he was overused and under coached. He played something crazy like 98% of the defensive snaps, which is waaay too much. He was worn down by half time and the coaches had the defense such a mess that it’s really no surprise he played the way he did.

Reduce his snaps down to maybe a third of what he did last year, put him in position to play forward, and give him clear instructions on what you want from him, and I think we will see a much better player. Will he be worth what he’s being paid if he’s used like that? Probably not, but he’ll play much better.

I think that is what the coaches have in mind for Smith.

But I’m not going to lie: When he did that ridiculous dance in front of the Giants player, I wanted him off the team then. It was embarrassing.

However… I do think he’ll play much better this season, just not enough snaps to justify his contract.

This IMO is their biggest challenge.........

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I agree. If Jaylon can just get to the QB a few times, it will help justify that contract. When you start getting sacks, what you’re worth to your team (and to any NFL team) starts escalating very quickly. Teams pay around a million per sack to some guys.
If you are going to give snaps to Jaylon to rush the QB then you are taking snaps away from Parsons. This is a no go to me.

What would Jimmy Johnson do?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Really surprised Neal is playing so we'll. Hope he keeps it up against real competition.

As far as jaylon it's way to early to believe they would actually cut or trade him just yet. They would have to be in fire need of his roster spot, and not just a few million in savings.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Imagine having a thread about Neal and what he has shown so far and his potential without the same old tired things regurgitated about Jaylon over and over.

I guess we have had the Jaylon sucks thread in 12 hours so we must be due.

Thanks for your contribution to turning every thread negative.

Well its gonna happen here because Neal is playing behind Jaylon. So obviously talk about Jaylon's performance will be brought up. So its relevant to the topic. Geezz, what is more tiring than hearing about Jaylon sucks are comments wondering why it has to be brought up so much. This is a forum and things like this will be discussed whether you like it or not. No more about Dak's contract, LVE's injury, or Amari's mood. So Jaylon is on the block now. Not everything is lollipops and rainbows. That's the way life goes.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Really surprised Neal is playing so we'll. Hope he keeps it up against real competition.

As far as jaylon it's way to early to believe they would actually cut or trade him just yet. They would have to be in fire need of his roster spot, and not just a few million in savings.

I don't think Jaylon is in danger of being cut this year. But if there is anybody out there that is willing to trade and take on his salary he will be gone in a NY minute.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Keanu is playing like they need him too..fast n physical. The speed of LBs has become a strength with the addition of Neal and the rookies.

Cowboys will play nickel what(?) 70% of the snaps? So, Parsons and Neal should lead the LB group in snaps. I figure LVE will rotate in the nickel depending on the situation.

I think Jaylon will play better in a limited role suited towards his strengths.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't think Jaylon is in danger of being cut this year. But if there is anybody out there that is willing to trade and take on his salary he will be gone in a NY minute.

I doubt anyone is willing to give up something of value to entice Jerry to say yes. We are still 1 injury away from needing another lb. That could change as they get more comfortable with Parsons, lve being healthy, Neal, and Cox. But I don't see a team offering anything for him so they keep him till the off-season.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
If you are going to give snaps to Jaylon to rush the QB then you are taking snaps away from Parsons. This is a no go to me.

What would Jimmy Johnson do?

I certainly don’t want that, I agree. However, If Parsons needs a rest and you want to rush a SAM backer, Jaylon could do it. I don’t think Quinn wants anyone playing near 98% of the snaps. He will be doing a lot situationally.

That is about what I had in mind when I mentioned Smith rushing the QB. Either that or if you might have a situation where you might want to rush both him and Parsons on the same play. Maybe Gregory needs a rest or if it is third and very long, maybe Gregory is rushing from inside.

Anyway, I agree that we don’t want Smith taking any pads rushing snaps away from Micah.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I agree, I think the challenge is on Quinn to put Jaylon in some positions so he can succeed. I am not a Jaylon basher but he just looks so slow out there sometimes.

jnday

Reaction score
Sadly when the book is written on this worst era of Cowboys football ever I will be called negative.
The ugly truth is a negative thing. Some of these posters had rather avoid the truth instead of facing it. There is only so much positivity that can be milked out of a 6-10 team.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMHO, Jaylon plays better moving forward. He should be used as an outside LB on the line of scrimmage, rushing the QB. Having him and Parsons rushing on 3rd & long downs along with Gregory / Lawrence and a pass rushing DT to be named later could be overwhelming to opposing QB's.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From what I have seen, Jaylon is only in on running downs where they have 3 lbers. When they goto the nickel, its Parsons and neal or Parsons and LVE.

Jaylon has looked soo bad in preseason I dont see how they continue to let him on the field. Once he starts getting burnt in real games something has to give.

Yes, and they drafted Cox who was was the top pass coverage LB in college but fell to the 4th because he must improve in run defense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMHO, Jaylon plays better moving forward. He should be used as an outside LB on the line of scrimmage, rushing the QB. Having him and Parsons rushing on 3rd & long downs along with Gregory / Lawrence and a pass rushing DT to be named later could be overwhelming to opposing QB's.

The standard Nickel alignment is a 4-man DL.
- Gregory & DLaw are DEs in that alignment.
- There are only 2 LBs on the field in Nickel.

Where would Jaylon play in that scenario?

The only realistic option would be a 3-3-5 Nickel but on 3rd and long they want LBs that can cover and that can cut off screen passes to RBs in the flat.