Need help with car problems

RaZon

Reaction score
I have always just poured part of a bottle/can of soda (Coke, Pepsi, etc.) on it and it clears it up right away.

Like I said not much with car stuff but this is a new problem that started a few months ago. It is my wifes car so don't want her stranded,

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like I said not much with car stuff but this is a new problem that started a few months ago. It is my wifes car so don't want her stranded,
In case you did not realize, I was being serious. The acid in the soda will neutralize the corrosion very quickly.

That said, if the battery is old, then you may want to consider buying a new battery for her car. Some auto parts places like AutoZone will check your battery for free.

Warick

Reaction score
Don't use soda, it just makes a mess. Get a large pitcher of warm water, and slowly pour over the corroded terminals, and it will wash the corrosion away. No need to remove cables or anything (though you can if the problem is really bad), and you don't have a sticky mess afterwards. Don't let the corrosion go on too long because it can damage the cables, and terminals. I check mine every week or so, or whenever I pop the hood, and if I see any, it gets a bath.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Here's what you do.

Open the hood. Take the cap off the radiator over flow tank. Start car and slowly back up. Buy new Chevy truck. Open hood. Replace radiator cap w/ cap from car. Close hood.

That is how you fix any car!!!!!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Quite bluntly, if you're as mechanically uninclined as you say, bring the car to a mechanic or an auto parts store and let them check it out, especially since it's your wife's car.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The stuff I bought looked a lot like Vaseline and was about the same consistency It may have stuff in it that specifically prevents corrosion I dont really know though
The "special" stuff is silicon based rather than petroleum based. It's easier on rubber and plastics and might last longer in some situations.

Any non-conductive grease will work on the battery terminals. I like Vaseline because it works well and it cleans up real easy.