Need to trust Zimmer to fix their run defense

Chasing6

Reaction score
Having a good run defense isn't too difficult. There are many things a DC can do to help out stopping the run. Clearly you can play more men inside the box, play bigger alignments, etc. However, to have an effective run defense cannot be undisciplined, beaten up at the point of attack and tackle poorly.

Yes, we all know there are personnel issues, especially inside at the DT position, but the Edge lineman, including DLaw have struggled against the outside zone runs for years. Our linebackers have really struggled to get off blocks, sure better DT's could help, but they need to be a better job of reading and reacting before a hat gets on them.

Jerry/Stephen have to give Zimmer the necessary resources if he doesn't have the right players to run his scheme. If some veterans continue to struggle with the fundamentals, Zimmer will not put up with it, like Dan Quinn did for years.

Zimmer has a strong track record of having good, disciplined defenses, we have to trust he will find some solutions to least make the run defense hold up.
There is no coaching solution to this problem.

It is a pure lack of talent created by the GM/Owner.

I recall Parcells calling TO the Player. At this point moving forward our Owner/GM no longer has a name and I will refer to him as the GM.

We knew what our 2 top problem areas were after last season. Our GM did absolutely nothing to address either one and both problems are significantly worse this year.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
There is no coaching solution to this problem.

It is a pure lack of talent created by the GM/Owner.

I recall Parcells calling TO the Player. At this point moving forward our Owner/GM no longer has a name and I will refer to him as the GM.

We knew what our 2 top problem areas were after last season. Our GM did absolutely nothing to address either one and both problems are significantly worse this year.
I tend to agree, it's lack of talent, but also players who just cannot execute the basic fundamentals. This defense needs a complete overhaul.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We fired Zimmer once before for a reason. We are actually WORSE against the run now under Zimmer, yet somehow he’s gonna fix it? How's that work?

Carson

Reaction score
This is like putting a wal mart tarp on your roof during a cat 5 hurricane and thinking you don’t get wet

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
These guys are soft as tissue and completely clueless on how to play a NFL defense.
its-gonna-take-a-while-steve-kornacki.gif
to fix....

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Our "GM" is being fully exposed. He is running out of people to blame it on.
Hiring a geriatric re-tread who was out of the league to run the defense wasn't a great strategy. :lmao: I mean, the guy was here for the last Cowboys Super Bowl. That should tell you enough.

montgod

Reaction score
MM will be fired soon.

Not even sure our usual stat padder will help. Giants aren't looking that bad.
I don't see it. JJ wants to make sure the remaining part of his contract is used with him working. One reason why I think Garrett stuck around so long within his contract - "our" paid whipping boy mentality who operates in whatever capacity we desire. Besides, who would be the interim if they actually did? Maybe Zimmer I guess... smh

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
It’s a personnel issue, not a coaching one. The Cowboys have great pass rushers, but have for a few years now been an average at best defense stopping the run. They are undisciplined filling their gap assignments on running plays.
It's both, and the rotten team culture of celebrity over results. We live this crap. You don't. We know. You don't.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is like putting a wal mart tarp on your roof during a cat 5 hurricane and thinking you don’t get wet
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like shooting an elephant w/ a Daisy Red Rider to stop him from charging you.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't see it. JJ wants to make sure the remaining part of his contract is used with him working. One reason why I think Garrett stuck around so long within his contract - "our" paid whipping boy mentality who operates in whatever capacity we desire. Besides, who would be the interim if they actually did? Maybe Zimmer I guess... smh
Nope. Looking back, Jerry has always saved one retread back to fire so he can blame it on them. Did the same thing w/ Wade.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
So, ask yourself why they can't execute fundamentals? Because they lack talent.
A lot falls on the prior DC's as it's basically their players still intact. I don't think they lack talent, but teams have figured out how to successful attack this defense. Team building is the bigger issue as they have to get bigger, stronger at multiple positions.