News: Needing to 'disrupt,' Jerry looks at offseason change

Sydla

Reaction score
I don’t care if McCarthy plays out his deal. He actually did pretty good adjusting the offense mid-season. The real issue is the extension of Dak.
McCarthy is a boob.

They should have blown up the staff and made a tough decision on Dak.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More from Jerry…

MOBILE, Ala. — Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones met with reporters on Tuesday morning at the Senior Bowl for the first time since making the decision to keep head coach Mike McCarthy in the building for the fifth and final year of his current contract after another early postseason exit, as he detailed his seemingly quick decision and the need to "disrupt" this offseason in order to have a better result in 2024.
Jones met with McCarthy for over three hours in the days following the abrupt postseason exit, and he emphasized on Tuesday that it wasn't something he had to think long on in order to move forward.
"This is not a 'talk yourself into it,'" Jones said. "It obviously gives you a lot of things to consider and think about. Everybody has options. This is one I'm very comfortable with. I felt good during the year with the job that Mike was doing. The team was responding well. We were all disappointed that we didn't win that Green Bay game. We had visions of a lot better than that, we all did. But there are things there that we can take forward."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/needing-to-disrupt-jerry-looks-at-offseason-change
Oh, now the narrative is “ aw shucks. We all wanted to win the GB game. Just didn’t happen “. Forget not being competitive on our home field and getting blown out by the 7 seed.

As long as Jerry is comfortable. He said it.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
I don't think JJ even knows what he is talking about any more.. he must forget things he has said..

I was reading earlier about how MM might get an extension mid season.. then I read something else where he might be interested in Bellycheat next season.. ***?

I seriously think he is losing it.

Edit: ok.. cant say that.. it was what the ...........

LysleE

Reaction score
That wildcard game beatdown at home by Green Bay should have been enough for Jones to be "disrupted".
Yeah…that was an embarrassment and failure at every level of the organization…yet Jerry thinks Dallas is close to winning a championship and will maintain status quo despite giving lip service to the contrary…we have all heard it before and seen the same end result.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry is still the big BSer he's always been -- that's simply his way of doing business.

He'll say anything to avoid further humiliation. That's his M.O. "Going all in," my foot!

I've been a devoted C'boys fan since 1960, but there's a limit to what a guy can take.

Last edited:

Cmac

Reaction score
"Everybody has options. This is one I'm very comfortable with."
Yeah... Jerry needs to be disrupted.
Jerry's performing disruption at the Senior Bowl now.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
The team did well. The defense was understaffed, lb and the defensive line interior. Quinn had to get cute because of this and made no adjustments that I could see in the last game.
The offense needs a shake-up. You can't continue to wait for half or three-quarters of a game to come to life. Either the guys are not full in on that side of the ball. I know who I blame, but it is what it is. A change up or shuffling needs to be made.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don’t care if McCarthy plays out his deal. He actually did pretty good adjusting the offense mid-season. The real issue is the extension of Dak.
He is playing chicken with Dak and he is going to lose. Dak and his agent are holding all the cards.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Do you like this and how it will affect the team?
If you are going to play chicken you have to be committed to not blinking. Jerry always seems to blink. See Zeke contract.

I am fine either way, all in or tear down and rebuild, but being stuck in the middle just seems like a waste of time.

I think players know Dak's contract is holding up CD and Micah's contract and I am sure others. So this could cause resentment. At the end of the day Dak needs to do what is best for him and his family. Whether we like it or not. Dak most likely makes $60M this year and gets a new contract with Dallas or another team for 5 years $300M.

There are only a few options.

1. Cut or trade Dak is going to have huge cap impact. Not a realistic option in my opinion.
2. Let his contract play out. In my opinion this prevents us from going all in.
3. If he has another strong year, his price will only go up especially as an unrestricted free agent. If he walks we get little compensation a late 3rd comp pick for an MVP candidate.
3. Extend Dak, add cap space and be active in free agency to fill holes to make a deep run.
4. Prey Dak takes a home town discount.

Only risk Dak has is potentially getting injured. Dak has been willing to gamble on himself in the past, and I don't see why he would not do it again.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
If you are going to play chicken you have to be committed to not blinking. Jerry always seems to blink. See Zeke contract.

I am fine either way, all in or tear down and rebuild, but being stuck in the middle just seems like a waste of time.

I think players know Dak's contract is holding up CD and Micah's contract and I am sure others. So this could cause resentment. At the end of the day Dak needs to do what is best for him and his family. Whether we like it or not. Dak most likely makes $60M this year and gets a new contract with Dallas or another team for 5 years $300M.

There are only a few options.

1. Cut or trade Dak is going to have huge cap impact. Not a realistic option in my opinion.
2. Let his contract play out. In my opinion this prevents us from going all in.
3. If he has another strong year, his price will only go up especially as an unrestricted free agent. If he walks we get little compensation a late 3rd comp pick for an MVP candidate.
3. Extend Dak, add cap space and be active in free agency to fill holes to make a deep run.
4. Prey Dak takes a home town discount.

Only risk Dak has is potentially getting injured. Dak has been willing to gamble on himself in the past, and I don't see why he would not do it again.
sounds good.

I'm reading more about how the team needs dak to just hand off the ball and hit very short curl routes and be a bus driver.

Is that good enough to pay him at an elite level while filling the roster with lesser players? seriously.

Chasing6

Reaction score
sounds good.

I'm reading more about how the team needs dak to just hand off the ball and hit very short curl routes and be a bus driver.

Is that good enough to pay him at an elite level while filling the roster with lesser players? seriously.
That is really the challenge in today's NFL. I believe the best way to win today is to build a strong team and have a rookie QB. Saving the QB cap space to make your team extremely balanced.

The Niners are a perfect example. Purdy is a bus driver surrounded by talent. A great running game takes a lot of pressure off the Qb and the defense has to play honest. Purdy has the ability to make some plays, but the less he has to the better.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
That is really the challenge in today's NFL. I believe the best way to win today is to build a strong team and have a rookie QB. Saving the QB cap space to make your team extremely balanced.

The Niners are a perfect example. Purdy is a bus driver surrounded by talent. A great running game takes a lot of pressure off the Qb and the defense has to play honest. Purdy has the ability to make some plays, but the less he has to the better.
so why would any Dallas Cowboys fan want the team to give an extension to someone who will cost the team in talent level? serious.

we can't continue to build like this.

Chasing6

Reaction score
so why would any Dallas Cowboys fan want the team to give an extension to someone who will cost the team in talent level? serious.

we can't continue to build like this.
Well Jeruh has backed us into a corner with his current contract. So we are kinda stuck in limbo. We have a pretty good team, but still have some serious holes. Jeruh is not getting younger, so I am sure he does not want to rebuild.

With out freeing up significantly cap space and going all in, we are not going to be legitimate contenders. So sounds like Jerry is willing to gamble or play chicken with Dak on his last year of his contract.

That is how I am seeing it.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Well Jeruh has backed us into a corner with his current contract. So we are kinda stuck in limbo. We have a pretty good team, but still have some serious holes. Jeruh is not getting younger, so I am sure he does not want to rebuild.

With out freeing up significantly cap space and going all in, we are not going to be legitimate contenders. So sounds like Jerry is willing to gamble or play chicken with Dak on his last year of his contract.

That is how I am seeing it.
yep, he messed up with the last contract and now it will affect the whole team. He has to deal with it now and make it right with a hard decision, but like always he will side with making the team relevant and keeping his cash cow going. shrugs it is what it is. don't get too excited about next year or the year after, because it will be the same as the last decades.