Neon Deion... Jeff Pearlman book excerpt

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=pearlman/080919&sportCat=nfl

Editor's note: The following is an excerpt from Jeff Pearlman's new book "Boys Will Be Boys: The Glory Days and Party Nights of the Dallas Cowboys Dynasty," copyright 2008 by Jeff Pearlman. Reprinted with permission of HarperCollins.

[+] Enlarge
Cowboys book

HarperCollins

Purchase Jeff Pearlman's new book, "Boys Will Be Boys."

He officially arrived on Sept. 28, 1995, a hobbled man with a healthy contract and the hope of a city resting upon his shoulders. Deion Sanders was not merely the football phenom who would save the Cowboys' porous pass defense (and, as he demanded, play a little receiver, too). No, he was the football phenom who would save the Cowboys.

Need to shut down Jerry Rice one on one? Deion Sanders.

Need a punt or kickoff returned for a touchdown? Deion Sanders.

Need an offensive threat to draw attention from Michael Irvin? Deion Sanders.

Though Sanders moved to Texas in late September, going so far as to purchase a $2.95 million home in the suburb of Plano, he came holding a black cane, his left ankle cocooned in a soft cast. In the month before his scheduled Oct. 29 debut against the Atlanta Falcons, Sanders planned on adjusting his family to a new location, rehabbing his injury and -- most important -- getting to know his teammates.

Were there any apprehension from the newest superstar on that first day, it evaporated quickly. As Sanders entered the team's locker room, offensive lineman Nate Newton, the Cowboys' resident jokester, pressed PLAY on the CD player and blasted the volume. A catchy beat filled the air. Players started dancing. And pointing. And laughing. It was a rap tune. Not just any rap tune.

More from Jeff Pearlman
• "Boys Will Be Boys" excerpt No. 1: The wrath of
Jimmy Johnson
• Jeff Pearlman chat transcript

Now playing: "Must be the Money"
Album: Prime Time
Year of Release: 1994
Label: Bust-It Records
Artist: Deion Sanders
Genre: Ear Melting

From a pair of 100-watt speakers on a table in the center of the room, Sanders began to sing/speak/croak:

Well all right
Yeah
You know ever since I turned pro in 1989
When I signed the dotted line
It was strange!
'Cause things change
For the better and for the worse
So I called my momma and she said "Baby,"
Must be the money …

Sanders could not stop chuckling. The Cowboy locker room felt like home.

[+] Enlarge
Deion Sanders

AP Photo/Rusty Kennedy

Seemed like Deion Sanders was always showboating, didn't it?
"That was so funny," says Cory Fleming, the Cowboy wide receiver. "It was important Deion could laugh at himself, because Nate played that song every friggin' day for a month." Plastered throughout Sanders' new locker were 40 color Xerox copies of him interfering with Irvin in the '94 NFC Championship Game -- the play that, had a flag been thrown, could have changed the outcome. "In big red letters Mike wrote INTERFERENCE on each one," says Jim Schwantz, a linebacker. "Just hilarious."

On one of his earlier days with the team, Sanders ran into Alundis Brice, who just so happened to wear uniform No. 21, Sanders' digits of choice, at a Dallas-based BMW dealer. The rookie defensive back had long wanted to own a BMW 325i, and he was here to make it a reality. "Brice, what are you doing?" asked Sanders.

"I'm gonna buy this car tomorrow," he said. "But I first have to call my agent and set it up."

"It's your first sports car?" asked Sanders.

"Yup."

"Are you gonna pay cash for it?" Sanders asked.

"Yup."

Sanders nodded and drove off.

The next morning, Brice reported to Valley Ranch and was dismayed to spot his dream car -- a brand new metallic blue 325i with all the trimmings -- parked in the players' lot. "I can't believe this," he thought. "Somebody bought my car."

When he approached his locker, Brice noticed the keys on his stool alongside a note from Sanders. It read: NOW GIVE ME MY DAMN JERSEY!

"I wore numbers 22 and 38 in college (at the University of Mississippi), but they gave me 21 with the Cowboys," Brice says. "I had no emotional attachment to it. So when I read that note, I took my jersey down, hung it in his locker and got a new number. I'll never forget him doing that."

With such acts of grace and kindness, it took Sanders little time to develop a following in the Cowboys clubhouse. Like any American office space, Dallas had its cliques, usually divided along lines of race and age. White veterans like Aikman, Daryl Johnston and Jay Novacek could be found in one pocket. The black defensive linemen, headed by Haley, were in another. Now, Sanders was fronting a new group -- the younger defensive players who envied both his game and his lifestyle.

This is where the problems began.

For all his Jim Thorpe-esque skills, Sanders was sleeping-dog lazy. In practices, he went all-out every third or fourth play and refused to wear shoulder pads because, he would say, "I'm not gonna tackle anyone anyway." In meeting rooms, he was known to doodle and doze off. Told early on that Cowboys who refused to participate in the team's weight training regimen would be fined, Sanders dramatically whipped out his checkbook and jotted down a five-digit figure.

When Mike Woicik, the team's gruff strength and conditioning coach, complained about Sanders' indifference, Switzer sided with his new star. "We're talking about Deion Sanders here," Switzer told Woicik. "If he doesn't want to do something, he doesn't have to."

Woicik was speechless. Credited by many players as a key to the back-to-back Super Bowls, Woicik was a no-nonsense taskmaster who demanded maximum effort. "For Mike, anything short of a funeral was an unacceptable excuse to miss a session," says Kevin Smith. "Mike had the personality of a lamp, but if you had to bench press he knew exactly how many you were supposed to do. When you came in and you didn't do it, he'd say, 'You were out f-----' around last night. You must've been drinking last night. You must have been drinking two nights ago.' He'd be pissed. He wouldn't speak to you for a week. If you tested on the bench and you didn't make it, he wouldn't say a word to you for a whole week until you came in and did it. That's how he was. Your goals were his goals."

Throughout the locker room, Woicik was as respected as any Cowboy coach or official. And Deion Sanders had the nerve to treat him … like this?

Who were the Dallas Cowboys becoming?

"I still remember Deion's first team meeting," says Clayton Holmes, the veteran cornerback. "We were so fundamental about film. The way we studied it was critical. Well, Deion comes in, puts his feet up on a table and doesn't even watch." When Dave Campo, the Cowboys new defensive coordinator, asked the $35 million man to break down a play, Sanders let out a sly laugh. "Hey, Coach," he said, pointing toward the screen, "I got that dude right there. Wherever he goes I go. All that Cover Two stuff you're talking about -- y'all work that out."

[+] Enlarge
Deion Sanders

Photo by NFL/Getty Images

Deion Sanders and Michael Irvin -- quite a pair.
Seeing that the Cowboys' defensive back meetings lasted significantly longer than they had in Atlanta or San Francisco, Sanders took a page out of the Barry Bonds Playbook by investing in a black leather executive's chair and rolling it into the conference room. As his peers sat in standard metal folding chairs, Sanders lounged in comfort. "Guys thought that was kind of funny," says Schwantz. "Maybe not right -- but funny."

Although most veterans accepted Sanders' ego and indifference in exchange for the promise of otherworldly play, Aikman -- who had offered to defer part of his salary to help Dallas afford the defensive back -- was disgusted. It was bad enough Switzer approached discipline as if he were the proprietor of the Moonlite Bunny Ranch. Now here was "Neon Deion," teaching via example that image is everything and practice is overrated. From across the locker room, the quarterback would watch Sanders' postgame dressing ritual and cringe. As Jeff Rude of the Dallas Morning News described it: "Most people slip on a shirt when they get dressed. Deion puts on a jewelry store."

Around his neck, Sanders placed two thick gold chains with dangling diamond-studded 21s. He wore a diamond-studded Rolex watch, two gold diamond bracelets and matching diamond horseshoe earrings.

"There was a division between Deion and Troy that began to bubble over," says Kevin Smith. "We called it 'Double Doors' at Valley Ranch. Once we walked through those double doors it was football. We could laugh and joke, but it was all about football. To Aikman, that was sacred.

"When Deion came in, something changed for the worse. Guys who should have been studying football on a Wednesday at 12 o'clock were focused on other things. Deion was such a freaky athlete that he could shake one leg and be ready to cover anyone. But the guys following his lead weren't nearly as talented. You know what they say about dogs that chase cars -- they don't live long."

One of Sanders' most devoted disciples was Sherman Williams, the rookie running back with much talent but zero work ethic. "Deion had Sherman's ear 100 percent," says Kevin Smith. "He was a rookie who'd show up around 10 o'clock, 11 o'clock in the morning, smelling like weed and rolling with a posse. Guys like Sherman needed to be reminded of the importance of hard work. That did not come from Deion."

"You led by example," adds Dale Hellestrae, the offensive lineman. "And his example wasn't very good."

Sanders made his debut on Oct. 29, when the Cowboys thumped the Falcons, 2813, in Atlanta. The stars of the game were (ho-hum) Emmitt Smith (26 carries, 167 yards), Irvin (10 receptions, 135 yards) and Aikman (19 of 25, 198 yards, two touchdowns), yet the spotlight belonged to Prime Time. It was his moment in the sun. His day. In 44 defensive sets, Falcons quarterback Jeff George threw his way twice. The first time, receiver Bert Emanuel beat Sanders for an 11-yard gain. The second, Sanders batted down the ball.

Though he talked as if he were the Muhammad Ali of the gridiron, Sanders' play in 1995 was merely OK. In nine games as a defensive back, Sanders intercepted two passes and contributed a paltry 22 tackles (that's a robust $318,182 per tackle).

"Personally," says one Cowboy, "I thought Kevin Smith was a better player." Whereas the other primary cornerbacks -- Smith, Larry Brown and Clayton Holmes -- embraced contact, Sanders was a feather duster. When he tackled, it was with the gusto of a 90-year-old woman.

"One time a running back ran a sweep toward him, and Deion dove half-hearted into the turf," says Case. "We're watching film the next day, razzing him pretty good. As serious as could be, he said, 'I saw that dude coming and I had to make a business decision.'"

Jeff Pearlman is a former Sports Illustrated senior writer, and a regular contributor to Page 2. His previous book was "Love Me, Hate Me: Barry Bonds and the Making of an Antihero.". You can reach him at anngold22@gmail.com.

Interesting read, not sure how much of it is accurate or not but they got my curiosity Im going to have to read this book.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
The first nail in the coffin was jimmy leaving. The final nails came from sanders.

I wish the guys in the locker room would have called him out.

One of my favorite games from that era of football ever was the 1992 monday night game in Atlanta. Deion sanders was dancing and doing all his usual stuff before the game and the broadcast was all about him.....Until the game started. He had a game that would make jacques reeves look like an all pro. God I loved that game.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
theebs;2271193 said:
The first nail in the coffin was jimmy leaving. The final nails came from sanders.

Larry Lacewell brought his hammer to the funeral, too.

ddh33

Reaction score
Does it worry anyone that Deion has the ear of so many players today? Or has he just grown up enough to realize that it takes hard work, discipline, and self-control to be a good football player?

For what it's worth, I think Deion would be the first to tell you that he wasn't the hardest worker. He didn't have to be.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Does it worry anyone that Deion has the ear of so many players today? Or has he just grown up enough to realize that it takes hard work, discipline, and self-control to be a good football player?

I was thinking the samething as I read the article, hopefully Deion has learned the error of his ways. Not sure if on the Pacman fishing trip he was just talking to the cameras or not (hard to tell with Deion) but it seems like he is trying to be a good mentor. Maturity has a way of doing that to people.

Hiring Switzer has to be Jerry's biggest mistake of all-time.

dre1614

Reaction score
theebs;2271193 said:

I wish the guys in the locker room would have called him out.

One of my favorite games from that era of football ever was the 1992 monday night game in Atlanta. Deion sanders was dancing and doing all his usual stuff before the game and the broadcast was all about him.....Until the game started. He had a game that would make jacques reeves look like an all pro. God I loved that game.

Want some more Hater aide?

I'm sure you will be crying in your sleep when he is introduced into the Hall of Fame.

Temo

Reaction score
So Deion was flamboyant and Switzer didn't know how to keep discipline. I thought we all knew this like... a decade ago, when everyone was saying the same ****.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
dre1614;2271247 said:
Want some more Hater aide?

I'm sure you will be crying in your sleep when he is introduced into the Hall of Fame.

No I simply wont pay attention. Nor will most of my ilk. No big deal.

Reaction score
I think Deion worked hard. He just didn't like practicing. Big difference. You can't be as good as Deion was without being a hard worker.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I LOVE ME SOME ME!;2271296 said:
I think Deion worked hard. He just didn't like practicing. Big difference. You can't be as good as Deion was without being a hard worker.

Deion was told that if he didn't participate in the weight lifting program he would be fined.

He wrote out a check on the spot. True story. He was gifted. Hard work? He wouldn't toouch it with a ten foot pole.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Must be the money is one of the worst song ever.

If you are going to have a player like Deion Sanders in your lockeroom, you have got to have a strong coach.

Interestingly enough, Bobby Bowden, in Deion Sander's beyond the glory documentary, had nothing but praise for Deion.

But then again, in that same documentary, Deion Sanders and the catcher for the Boston Redsox (can't remember his name) got into because Deion carved a dollar sign into dirt near the plate at Yankee Stadium.

Im still glad he came here.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
tunahelper;2271312 said:
Thank God Deion is counseling PacMan?

To be honest, he is also counseling Terrell Owens.

Both Pacman and Owens have been pretty quiet these days...

sago1

Reaction score
Actually there's a little more I remember about Deion. In 95 someone alleged that Aikman was a racist cause he throw more to white WRs then to the black WRs. Also at the same time there were allegations that Aikman was gay. In Skip Bayliss's book about the Cowboys published sometime in 95(?) I believe both allegations were mentioned by him. In fact it entirely possible Bayliss book was where the first allegation that Aikman was gay might have surfaced. Anyway, Aikman was furious & confronted Deion claiming/believing he was the instigator of the whole lie re Aikman being a racist. While Deion allegedly denied he ever said any such thing, Aikman didn't believe him. It's entirely possible that Aikman's belief was based on the division he might have seen along racial lines that was going on in the lockerroom and which Aikman probably rightly believed Deion was behind. As for the gay allegation, it was believed that one of the Cowboys coaching staff was part of a campaign by Switzer, or done on Switzer's behalf, to hurt/destroy Aikman because Switzer believed Aikman had the power to get him fired & was out to do so. And what better way to do so then to destroy Aikman's manhood in the eyes of his teammates and the public. The Cowboy coach who allegedly responsible for the gay allegation against Aikman then accepted a head coaching job at Oklahoma arranged by either Jerry Jones or Switzer. It entirely possible Jerry actually fired the coach or forced his removal on Switzer. What does seem possible is there certainly was a growing tension between Aikman & Deion which went on for years. Sometime in 97/98 Deion was behind a effort to put the blame for the Cowboys demise on Aikman's shoulders & sounded his views in the Cowboy lockerroom. Don't recall if this was done behind Aikman's back or what. I do remember hearding that Irvin eventually had enough of it & at some point called Deion out.

I also believe I read/heard that the Cowboy players totally supported Aikman that he wasn't a racist & that issue really didn't divide the lockerroom to the extent some thought it might. Heck, Aikman's favorite WRs were Novacek & Michael Irvin & Kevin Martin; Novacek was the only white WR. Does that mean that Tony Romo is a racist cause his favorite WRs are Witten & TO? Of course not. Anyway, at some point it became clear that the Cowboys weren't interested in bringing Deion back & he eventually signed a contract with the Commanders. Frankly, I've never liked Deion cause I've always thought he was such a snake in the grass. Have always believed he was very jealous about the role that Aikman, Irvin & Smith held within the Cowboy organization and their popularity with the public. Deion desperately wanted to be the main man; he was able to cultivate Irvin & Smith to a certain extent but his lack of discipline & devotation to the work ethic Aikman thought necessary if the Cowboys were to continue to win (and Aikman's continued belief Deion was behind whole racist allegation) ensured Deion was never be the big man on campus he wanted to be.

BTW: Deion helped us win our 3rd Lombardi simply cause he wasn't playing for the 49ers & thus couldn't help them to beat us in the championship game so we were able to win the SB in 95. But I also believe Switzer's hiring & his lack of discipline on the team started the Cowboys descent helped by Deion's personal ambitions at the expense of the Cowboy team itself. Lastly, like I said I don't remember the name of the coach who might have been the source of Bayliss book on Switzer's behalf but he did become (I believe) the first black head coach at Oklahoma.

FYI: For those who don't know, Aikman already had an unpleasant history with Switzer while he was a student & playing at Oklahoma. Switzer recruited Aikman to play QB & lead him to believe he was changing to a passing offense which suited Aikman's talents. When Aikman got to the school, he found out Switzer intended to continue the old running game Oklahoma had used for years vs what he told Aikman. Aikman transferred out after he got hurt after one year at Oklahoma to UCLA; Switzer greased the wheels with the UCLA head coach so Aikman could make that transfer. But there were also a lot of allegations that Oklahoma players were involved in lot of unsavory things including selling tickets, etc. Aikman was never involved in any of those activities but was called back from UCLA to testify. Aikman wasn't happy to be in any way involved in the unsavory aspects of what was happening at Oklahoma. I doubt Jerry ever consulted Aikman whether to hire Switzer as head coach. If he had, it entirely possible Aikman might have mentioned some of the problems that had been ongoing in Oklahoma while Switzer was head coach. Believe Oklahoma was punished by the NCAA for those activities.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
That's why I can't stand Deion.

I still remember at training camp in Wichita Falls when they had an outdoor practice at the 14,000 seat high school stadium. Deion's toe was supposedly hurt, but he was well enough to play catch, dance, and clown around on the sidelines while his teammates worked. My dad turned to me and said, "Do you think he's really hurt?" We were so naive. Neither of us had even thought that he might just be ducking practice until that moment.

And as for who to blame... Look no further than our owner, who to this day loves to tell everyone that we'd never have won that third (non-Jimmy) Superbowl without the 13 million dollar man he signed.

Thank Gawd guys like Romo and Witten and TO and Felix are hard workers, or else we'd be going down the same path today. We might still before Jerry is finished.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
Doomsday;2271245 said:
I was thinking the samething as I read the article, hopefully Deion has learned the error of his ways. Not sure if on the Pacman fishing trip he was just talking to the cameras or not (hard to tell with Deion) but it seems like he is trying to be a good mentor. Maturity has a way of doing that to people.

Hiring Switzer has to be Jerry's biggest mistake of all-time.

I think that old Deion is gone. That's the Deion that tried to drive himself of the road then found god. I think after he got religion, he also realized the silliness of some of his ways.