Neon Deion... Jeff Pearlman book excerpt

Don Corleone

Reaction score
There were also theories floating around that Deion is the one who ratted on Irvin for that hotel incident with the drugs that he eventually served a 5 game suspension for in 1996.

Some said Deion wanted the spotlight, and wanted Irvin out of the picture. I suppose the theory could hold water, but who knows?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2271360 said:
That's why I can't stand Deion.

I still remember at training camp in Wichita Falls when they had an outdoor practice at the 14,000 seat high school stadium. Deion's toe was supposedly hurt, but he was well enough to play catch, dance, and clown around on the sidelines while his teammates worked. My dad turned to me and said, "Do you think he's really hurt?" We were so naive. Neither of us had even thought that he might just be ducking practice until that moment.

And as for who to blame... Look no further than our owner, who to this day loves to tell everyone that we'd never have won that third (non-Jimmy) Superbowl without the 13 million dollar man he signed.

Thank Gawd guys like Romo and Witten and TO and Felix are hard workers, or else we'd be going down the same path today. We might still before Jerry is finished.

I dumped on TO a bit in another thread today, but I'll take him every time over a turd like Deion Sanders. At least Owens is a mixed bag, with a lot to admire alongside the stuff that makes him come off as a self-important ***. With Deion, it was just unnatural athletic ability given to one of the biggest ***** to ever walk on a football field.

Mash

Reaction score
I dont know......

Jimmy never yelled at his star players.....he used his fringe players as examples...

Jimmy ran a drug invested...poor educational program at Miami in College

All he cared about was winning.

IMHO....it was a mistake to have the younger players attach themselves to Primetime and look up to him as a role model.........he wasnt it according to this book anyways.....but shouldnt those players be accountable? Where were the other leaders of the team?

That being said......

Man....could Primetime play on game day..........was a true shut down corner.....interceptions are hard to come by when they dont throw it your way.....ask Newman.

Even reading this article........I would still take Prime Time on my team.......

There were enough leaders on this SB team to correct the problem if there was one.

Players like Haley and Sanders were difference makers.....IMHO their dominance on the field outweighed the antics off the field.

Its safe to say....Haley put us over the hump and made our DL so much better.....and its safe to say....when Sanders was healthy and with the injury to Kevin Smith.....Primetime was a very important cog in the secondary.

JMHO

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Word Mofo;2271410 said:
But Emmitt says we need leaders on this team? Ok, Emmitt.

I think we have them, but in all fairness none of us (including Emmitt) really knows what goes on behind the scenes. I guess the book will be written in another 10-15 years.

I'm not doubting the author, but there are always multiple sides to each story. Based on what this guy has written, it is amazing that this team won 3 out of 4 super bowls in a 4 year span. Ego clashes, the white house, divided locker room, racial tensions, players showing up smelling of weed, etc.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Mash;2271413 said:
I dont know......

Jimmy never yelled at his star players.....he used his fringe players as examples...

Jimmy ran a drug invested...poor educational program at Miami in College

All he cared about was winning.

IMHO....it was a mistake to have the younger players attach themselves to Primetime and look up to him as a role model.........he wasnt it according to this book anyways.....but shouldnt those players be accountable? Where were the other leaders of the team?

That being said......

Man....could Primetime play on game day..........was a true shut down corner.....interceptions are hard to come by when they dont throw it your way.....ask Newman.

Even reading this article........I would still take Prime Time on my team.......

There were enough leaders on this SB team to correct the problem if there was one.

Players like Haley and Sanders were difference makers.....IMHO their dominance on the field outweighed the antics off the field.

Its safe to say....Haley put us over the hump and made our DL so much better.....and its safe to say....when Sanders was healthy and with the injury to Kevin Smith.....Primetime was a very important cog in the secondary.

JMHO

:hammer:

I can't believe that this dude used two interceptions as an indicator of how well Prime Time played.:rolleyes:

Also, anyone that thinks any corner back on our roster was better then Deon need to have their head examined. The bottom line is, we probably would not have won the super bowl in 95 had it not been for Deon's presence on the field.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2271428 said:
I think we have them, but in all fairness none of us (including Emmitt) really knows what goes on behind the scenes. I guess the book will be written in another 10-15 years.

I'm not doubting the author, but there are always multiple sides to each story. Based on what this guy has written, it is amazing that this team won 3 out of 4 super bowls in a 4 year span. Ego clashes, the white house, divided locker room, racial tensions, players showing up smelling of weed, etc.

I serious doubt there were any racial tensions on the team. I think it is easy to interject race for instant controversy which equals instant sales.

superpunk

Reaction score
If you're a young player, and you can rationalize to yourself that you're just as talented as Deion, and can get by slacking off like he did, then you probably weren't going to make it in the league anyhow.

It wasn't Deion or anyone else that did the team in - more than anything it was just poor drafting. The same thing that built the team tore it down in reverse - the inability to continue to stock the shelves with cheap young talent. If we go down a similar course today, it won't be because Wade is a bumpkin or Jerry loves his stars, or TO is a selfish antagonist - it will be because we stopped drafting and signing Sam Hurds, Tony Romo's, Jay Ratliff's, Marion Barber's, Kyle Kosier's, etc.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Doomsday;2271155 said:
As serious as could be, he said, 'I saw that dude coming and I had to make a business decision.'

Hahaha, man i love me some Deion.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
c0wb0y_m0nkey;2271371 said:
I think that old Deion is gone. That's the Deion that tried to drive himself of the road then found god. I think after he got religion, he also realized the silliness of some of his ways.

That's exactly what he is saying, and why he is saying he's trying to help these young athletes. Sanders said he made a lot of mistakes as a player and didn't have anyone around to influence him for the better, so he's trying to be that person for Adam Jones and others.

It's never too late to change, and this story shows that Sanders definitely needed to change. Too bad someone couldn't have broken through his ego back then and not only made him a better player than the great one he was, but also helped him not contribute to the ruin of the 1990s Cowboys.

juck

Reaction score
theebs;2271193 said:
The first nail in the coffin was jimmy leaving. The final nails came from sanders.

I wish the guys in the locker room would have called him out.

One of my favorite games from that era of football ever was the 1992 monday night game in Atlanta. Deion sanders was dancing and doing all his usual stuff before the game and the broadcast was all about him.....Until the game started. He had a game that would make jacques reeves look like an all pro. God I loved that game.

A CB must cover receivers.Deion shut them down completely.The best CB ever in football.His importance in those playoffs were vital.

CoCo

Reaction score
sago1;2271347 said:
Actually there's a little more I remember about Deion. In 95 someone alleged that Aikman was a racist cause he throw more to white WRs then to the black WRs. Also at the same time there were allegations that Aikman was gay. In Skip Bayliss's book about the Cowboys published sometime in 95(?) I believe both allegations were mentioned by him. In fact it entirely possible Bayliss book was where the first allegation that Aikman was gay might have surfaced. Anyway, Aikman was furious & confronted Deion claiming/believing he was the instigator of the whole lie re Aikman being a racist. While Deion allegedly denied he ever said any such thing, Aikman didn't believe him. It's entirely possible that Aikman's belief was based on the division he might have seen along racial lines that was going on in the lockerroom and which Aikman probably rightly believed Deion was behind. As for the gay allegation, it was believed that one of the Cowboys coaching staff was part of a campaign by Switzer, or done on Switzer's behalf, to hurt/destroy Aikman because Switzer believed Aikman had the power to get him fired & was out to do so. And what better way to do so then to destroy Aikman's manhood in the eyes of his teammates and the public. The Cowboy coach who allegedly responsible for the gay allegation against Aikman then accepted a head coaching job at Oklahoma arranged by either Jerry Jones or Switzer. It entirely possible Jerry actually fired the coach or forced his removal on Switzer. What does seem possible is there certainly was a growing tension between Aikman & Deion which went on for years. Sometime in 97/98 Deion was behind a effort to put the blame for the Cowboys demise on Aikman's shoulders & sounded his views in the Cowboy lockerroom. Don't recall if this was done behind Aikman's back or what. I do remember hearding that Irvin eventually had enough of it & at some point called Deion out.

I also believe I read/heard that the Cowboy players totally supported Aikman that he wasn't a racist & that issue really didn't divide the lockerroom to the extent some thought it might. Heck, Aikman's favorite WRs were Novacek & Michael Irvin & Kevin Martin; Novacek was the only white WR. Does that mean that Tony Romo is a racist cause his favorite WRs are Witten & TO? Of course not. Anyway, at some point it became clear that the Cowboys weren't interested in bringing Deion back & he eventually signed a contract with the Commanders. Frankly, I've never liked Deion cause I've always thought he was such a snake in the grass. Have always believed he was very jealous about the role that Aikman, Irvin & Smith held within the Cowboy organization and their popularity with the public. Deion desperately wanted to be the main man; he was able to cultivate Irvin & Smith to a certain extent but his lack of discipline & devotation to the work ethic Aikman thought necessary if the Cowboys were to continue to win (and Aikman's continued belief Deion was behind whole racist allegation) ensured Deion was never be the big man on campus he wanted to be.

BTW: Deion helped us win our 3rd Lombardi simply cause he wasn't playing for the 49ers & thus couldn't help them to beat us in the championship game so we were able to win the SB in 95. But I also believe Switzer's hiring & his lack of discipline on the team started the Cowboys descent helped by Deion's personal ambitions at the expense of the Cowboy team itself. Lastly, like I said I don't remember the name of the coach who might have been the source of Bayliss book on Switzer's behalf but he did become (I believe) the first black head coach at Oklahoma.

FYI: For those who don't know, Aikman already had an unpleasant history with Switzer while he was a student & playing at Oklahoma. Switzer recruited Aikman to play QB & lead him to believe he was changing to a passing offense which suited Aikman's talents. When Aikman got to the school, he found out Switzer intended to continue the old running game Oklahoma had used for years vs what he told Aikman. Aikman transferred out after he got hurt after one year at Oklahoma to UCLA; Switzer greased the wheels with the UCLA head coach so Aikman could make that transfer. But there were also a lot of allegations that Oklahoma players were involved in lot of unsavory things including selling tickets, etc. Aikman was never involved in any of those activities but was called back from UCLA to testify. Aikman wasn't happy to be in any way involved in the unsavory aspects of what was happening at Oklahoma. I doubt Jerry ever consulted Aikman whether to hire Switzer as head coach. If he had, it entirely possible Aikman might have mentioned some of the problems that had been ongoing in Oklahoma while Switzer was head coach. Believe Oklahoma was punished by the NCAA for those activities.

John Blake was the coach you're trying to remember.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Idgit;2271387 said:
I dumped on TO a bit in another thread today, but I'll take him every time over a turd like Deion Sanders. At least Owens is a mixed bag, with a lot to admire alongside the stuff that makes him come off as a self-important ***. With Deion, it was just unnatural athletic ability given to one of the biggest ***** to ever walk on a football field.

Exactly.

T.O., I think, is a pretty good guy at heart. He's narcissistic and at times doesn't understand how his comments can hurt others, but I think he means well.

Deion, on the other hand, was just a cocky jerk who knew what he was doing and didn't care.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theebs;2271193 said:
The first nail in the coffin was jimmy leaving. The final nails came from sanders.

I wish the guys in the locker room would have called him out.

One of my favorite games from that era of football ever was the 1992 monday night game in Atlanta. Deion sanders was dancing and doing all his usual stuff before the game and the broadcast was all about him.....Until the game started. He had a game that would make jacques reeves look like an all pro. God I loved that game.

The final nail in the coffin was when Michael Irvin was laying on the concrete turf at The Vet. When we lost Irvin, the team lost it's heart and soul.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Rack;2271631 said:
The final nail in the coffin was when Michael Irvin was laying on the concrete turf at The Vet. When we lost Irvin, the team lost it's heart and soul.

One of those days that will go down in Cowboy infamy.....As he lay there....I'll never forget the knot in my stomach...I just had a hunch that was it for one of best players to ever wear the Star.:mad:

ladiewolve

Reaction score
Rack;2271631 said:

I feel Exactly the same way.:star:

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
Cbz40;2271744 said:
One of those days that will go down in Cowboy infamy.....As he lay there....I'll never forget the knot in my stomach...I just had a hunch that was it for one of best players to ever wear the Star.:mad:

That was before I had the Sunday Ticket, and the game was not broadcast locally. I remember having the ESPN gamecast up and thinking it was broken because it wasn't refreshing or showing any updates for like 20 minutes. Turned on the radio later to hear the horrible news.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Deion remains my least favorite Dallas Cowboy. He did some great things sure... , but to me he triggered the downfall of what might have been regarded as the greatest team of all time.