Nervous about our offensive line after hearing Big Nate's comments

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't need Nate Newton to tell me this OL has problems.
Well, you should have told him to wait more than two weeks before rolling down the same interstate in the same van at the same time of day with another vanload of weed.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was listening to a recent podcast of Hanging with the Boys and don't have a lot of confidence in our OLine after hearing Big Nate talk about it.

Nate was reporting about Tyron Smith already having back problems in training camp. Nate basically said if he's having it this early you can go ahead and assume he's missing significant games this year, which I agree with.

The crew started talking about Tyron's backup because we saw how much it hurt last year. They talked about Zack Martin's comment on Tyler Smith learning 2 positions as a rookie. Zack basically said that it's much easier to learn two positions on the same side instead of going back and forth because at least some of the technique stays the same. Newton doesn't sound too high on the remark though. Being practical, he said Zack is a once in a lifetime talent, was Pro Bowl caliber from day one, and what may look easy for Zack is not the same for Tyler. Much longer and funnier bit that Nate launches into on this and why so many superstars are not great coaches, but he's right. And this reminds me of a thread here asking if we should be worried that Smith wasn't on the starters practice team from day one, because that does worry me, and yes, Zack was on the first team from day one.

Didn't hear much good or bad about Tyler, just doesn't seem like Nate is sure he's the one at LT. The crew didn't sound very high on Josh Ball either. They didn't talk much about Connor McGovern either, at least not the parts I listened to. They were pretty much mocking our depth at offensive tackle right now. Nate's philosophy is that if the left tackle and center are not locked up, a team won't have much success, and can get by at the other positions on the line. His jokes about Dak better learning how to run again this year have me worried.

If you listen to Hanging With the Boys, Nate is always the practical one. He's not a homer like Irvin. He's not one of those guys who gets in the dumps like the rest of the media and fans. He keeps it light, practical and makes his predictions and observations like an everyday player using some good examples from his career or others to explain his points.

LINK BELOW if you want to listen to it. One of the better episodes I've listen to. It starts with a great tribute to MB3 from Jesse Holley. Some good stories about MB3 you don't hear.

Hangin' with the Boys: Remembering Marion (dallascowboys.com)
  • One player can completely remake an OLine.
    • In 1992 Jimmy made Erik Williams the RT and moved Nate to OG.
      • They had a middle of the pack OL in 1991. That move resulted in them being the best OL in the league in 1992.
    • Tyler Smith could be that player.
      • He was (in my opinion) the most powerful player in the 2022 NFL draft.
    • In 2021, Connor Williams often blocked on the 2nd level in the run game with Biadasz more often blocking a DT.
      • In 2022, they can scheme to make Biadasz the 2nd level blocker and let Tyler Smith take on the DTs.
  • Swing Tackle is indeed a concern.
    • They have the option to move Steele to LT if Tyron is out and then find somebody to play RT.
      • Steele started 6 games at LT in 2021 and was ok. He is better at RT than LT, but ok at LT.
    • If nobody steps up in camp, they can find a veteran Swing Tackle capable of playing RT.
      • Either after the cut to 53 when some veteran OTs are cap cuts but still have ability or by trading a late round pick.
    • Worst case, they can move Zack Martin to RT and play McGovern at RG.

Aven8

Reaction score
I’ve said for awhile now about Tyron’s injuries and how he’s killed the continuity of the Oline for the past couple of years. Having said that the FO did get Tyler in the 1st round to hopefully take over for him per Stephen one day. IMO he’s a Guard but you never know.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Wow.....an entire page and change and not one person claiming that Nate Newton knows nothing about OL play because of his legal issues.

The guy assessed the situation pretty well around 2008 when he told everyone that one weak link (Cory Proctor) could bring down the whole operation, even if the other four were pretty solid.

The team has done the right thing in moving on from Collins and Williams and remaking the line, but I'm afraid, per usual, they are a year behind it. If nothing else, certainly not ahead of it.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
All these worries and concerns help remind me that the goal is 9-7(thanks Jerry). So when I look at it through that lens I’m ok. My only hope now is that I get to one day buy myself a new T shirt. This pre 2015 gear is starting to show its age.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
  • One player can completely remake an OLine.
    • In 1992 Jimmy made Erik Williams the RT and moved Nate to OG.
      • They had a middle of the pack OL in 1991. That move resulted in them being the best OL in the league in 1992.
    • Tyler Smith could be that player.
      • He was (in my opinion) the most powerful player in the 2022 NFL draft.
    • In 2021, Connor Williams often blocked on the 2nd level in the run game with Biadasz more often blocking a DT.
      • In 2022, they can scheme to make Biadasz the 2nd level blocker and let Tyler Smith take on the DTs.
  • Swing Tackle is indeed a concern.
    • They have the option to move Steele to LT if Tyron is out and then find somebody to play RT.
      • Steele started 6 games at LT in 2021 and was ok. He is better at RT than LT, but ok at LT.
    • If nobody steps up in camp, they can find a veteran Swing Tackle capable of playing RT.
      • Either after the cut to 53 when some veteran OTs are cap cuts but still have ability or by trading a late round pick.
    • Worst case, they can move Zack Martin to RT and play McGovern at RG.

And I want to make clear no one on that podcast comes out saying Tyler Smith is on a path to be a draft dud. The worry is more that Tyron is already getting hurt and dude may be thrown out before he's ready. As strong as Tyler is from his college grades, remember the knock is he needed the most coaching to be NFL ready.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Tyron Smith has been having back problems for the last 5 years. What exactly has been done to address is? Anything? Bueller? Bueller? Expect another season of him missing most of the games.

Flamma

Reaction score
Should have been nervous about it before Nate talking about it. Seems obvious. I think WR is a concern too.

WR shouldn't be a concern if our OL isn't. 2016 is the perfect example. Dallas had little trouble in the passing game despite not having a great WR group. Witten was way past his prime, Beasley, TWill, Hurd, Dez. When Dez was out for 3 games we didn't skip a beat. If our OL holds up, our WRs right now are more than capable. But if it doesn't, and Tyrone is out a lot, and we can't get a run game going, we're looking at a bad season.

starfan1

Reaction score
I would say our window is close to shut. Maybe 2 years or 3. Tyron is bout done and if we see zack start to struggle with health it may he time to blow it up

Sure there are stats that suggest different but we are running out of time

ondaedg

Reaction score
We don’t need to have a top 5 oline every year to be competitive. Good coaching and talent at the skill positions can overcome less than stellar oline play. Look at last year’s Rams and Bengals.

Our oline as it stands now is better than most of the playoff teams from last season. Would we be better off with a top 5 OL? Heck yeah but it’s arguable that we need another RB, a WR, a DB, and a DT as much or more than OL.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
And I want to make clear no one on that podcast comes out saying Tyler Smith is on a path to be a draft dud. The worry is more that Tyron is already getting hurt and dude may be thrown out before he's ready. As strong as Tyler is from his college grades, remember the knock is he needed the most coaching to be NFL ready.
Tyron wasn't "hurt". He was back to practicing after missing one public OTA.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
The offensive line is one area that needs to be solidified at all cost, IMO. If it was me, I would have kept Collins, drafted Tyler Smith 1st, then Abraham Lucas 2nd.

In my defense I have a Bill Parcells slash Jimmy Johnson philosophy. Get a decent QB. Add in some bigger WR's. Build your offensive line up to sustain two season ending injuries. Then build up on the defensive side of the ball. Team building is the real key to success and not many coaches can do it right.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where is the heck did Nate get Tyron is having back issues in TC. TC has not started.
It was reported Tyron was held out of the 1st OTA's because his back had some tightness, or a little sore. We have heard no reports since then.

Of course some players will have tightness and soreness at first. Even if training and working out, it happens.
And Tyron missed games last season because of a sprained ankle, more so than back or neck issues. IIRC.

Nate, and I love Nate and listening to him, but dang, he could do some research first, and not sound like some posters on here. :laugh:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is hanging onto Tyron Smith the same way he hung onto Garrett. Tyron is done and the sooner we move on, the better off we’ll be.
Moving on from favorite players and coaches is one of Jerry’s biggest problems as GM. The great GMs move on a year early, not waiting until the problem kills the team because you were emotionally attached.

Tyron Smith is one of my favorite Cowboys. But he is mostly done. And what’s worse, we are counting on him when the last several years his body has been telling us it cannot be counted on.

75boyz

Reaction score
We don’t need to have a top 5 oline every year to be competitive. Good coaching and talent at the skill positions can overcome less than stellar oline play. Look at last year’s Rams and Bengals.

Our oline as it stands now is better than most of the playoff teams from last season. Would we be better off with a top 5 OL? Heck yeah but it’s arguable that we need another RB, a WR, a DB, and a DT as much or more than OL.

Good and accurate post. Bengals o line was near worst in the league. KC's oline had all five new starters replaced from a year ago. Green Bay's oline was a revolving door of starters at best to include losing their all pro LT, then the guard that replaced him after 3 or 4 games leaving their 3rd body at LT from mid season onward.

Dallas can not accomplish the success these teams did last year without having a perfect 2016 type health and aged o-line for the exact reasons you mention.