Netflix problem

rags

Reaction score
Yesterday, I got an email from Netflix telling me that my account is on hold and for me to update my credit card information. I only own 1 credit card, which is a Master Card. I put in the information again, with the same result.

Is this a phishing expedition? Now what do I do?

Thanks!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yesterday, I got an email from Netflix telling me that my account is on hold and for me to update my credit card information. I only own 1 credit card, which is a Master Card. I put in the information again, with the same result.

Thanks!
If you're able to access Netflix and watch it, I'd say it's a scam.

rags

Reaction score
I can't log in. It tells me to update my credit card information, which I can't do.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

Thanks!

Sounds like a scam. I would call your bank's fraud department immediately. If you've typed in that card info on a scam page, I would have your bank change the card right away. After that, you will need to go to Netflix's legitimate site and update the info, or call them. Same deal with wherever else your card is on file.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
And never give out your info to someone who contacted you again w/o checking.

That's exactly it. If someone from Netflix (or whoever) calls or emails and says, "You need to update your card info," the correct answer is, "I'll call you guys back and do so." Then you call whatever number you know is the correct number and talk to them about it, updating it, if necessary. Or you could do it on the website that you know for sure is theirs.

The crooks have gotten really slick, setting up web pages that look like the real deal or calling you and sounding like a legit rep from the company.

I used to work for Alarm.com, and there were *******s who would actually manufacture real-looking Alarm.com polo shirts and go from house to house ripping people off. Alarm.com never sends any service people out to people's houses, as the company is a vendor, not a direct service provider. The people who really might send someone out are alarm companies like ADT and Brinks. Companies like that use the Alarm.com platform, but your alarm company is not Alarm.com.

So if someone knocks on your door and says, "I'm from Alarm.com to update your system," slam the door in their face. If they say they're from ADT and you have an account with ADT, still don't trust them. Call ADT first. Normally an alarm dealer won't simply send someone out without making an appointment with you first.

So many bleepin' scammers. Keep a database on your computer, or even just a notebook, with all the right phone numbers of the companies you do business with. Never trust someone who calls you up, emails you, or knocks on your door saying they're from one of those companies. Always verify. So many stinking crooks -- it's disgusting.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
That's exactly it. If someone from Netflix (or whoever) calls or emails and says, "You need to update your card info," the correct answer is, "I'll call you guys back and do so." Then you call whatever number you know is the correct number and talk to them about it, updating it, if necessary. Or you could do it on the website that you know for sure is theirs.

The crooks have gotten really slick, setting up web pages that look like the real deal or calling you and sounding like a legit rep from the company.

I used to work for Alarm.com, and there were *******s who would actually manufacture real-looking Alarm.com polo shirts and go from house to house ripping people off. Alarm.com never sends any service people out to people's houses, as the company is a vendor, not a direct service provider. The people who really might send someone out are alarm companies like ADT and Brinks. Companies like that use the Alarm.com platform, but your alarm company is not Alarm.com.

So if someone knocks on your door and says, "I'm from Alarm.com to update your system," slam the door in their face. If they say they're from ADT and you have an account with ADT, still don't trust them. Call ADT first. Normally an alarm dealer won't simply send someone out without making an appointment with you first.

So many ####ing scammers. Keep a database on your computer, or even just a notebook, with all the right phone numbers of the companies you do business with. Never trust someone who calls you up, emails you, or knocks on your door saying they're from one of those companies. Always verify. So many stinking crooks -- it's disgusting.
Just yesterday, the North American Heart Association(Or something like that) called me. Asked for my birth date. I asked why they were calling me, and they got snippy and replied that they'd tell me if I gave them my birthdate. I replied they needed to tell me why they called me again.

If this actually was that Heart thingie, then they are major idiots. I am 57 years old w/ no signs of heart issues at this point. I see my doctor every 6 mths or so, and he would have definitely told me if he was referring me.

So, was this a scam? Don't know, don't care. If a company cannot even tell me why they called, then that convo is over. Not to mention being extremely rude. It is known etiquette for the person that called to ID themselves and inform the callee why they are calling. Geez, didn't y'all know this when you were like 4? I did.

Creeper

Reaction score
I get these messages all the time saying my Amazon account has been suspended. It comes with a link to log in to Amazon and update something. It is a scam. I suspect the idiots who perpetrate this crap will use other accounts to grab your passwords or credit card info the same way.

But good general advice is never log into any account through an email link. If it is a scam, the link will be to a bogus site that will steal your password or other information.

rags

Reaction score
So, to make a long story short, after staying on hold for 30 minutes, they said the average wait time was 9 minutes,, I talked to my bank. They said the problem was connected to an Amazon purchase I made a little while ago. The person I talked to was able to fix the problem, and all is well.

Thanks for your help.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Just yesterday, the North American Heart Association(Or something like that) called me. Asked for my birth date. I asked why they were calling me, and they got snippy and replied that they'd tell me if I gave them my birthdate. I replied they needed to tell me why they called me again.

If this actually was that Heart thingie, then they are major idiots. I am 57 years old w/ no signs of heart issues at this point. I see my doctor every 6 mths or so, and he would have definitely told me if he was referring me.

So, was this a scam? Don't know, don't care. If a company cannot even tell me why they called, then that convo is over. Not to mention being extremely rude. It is known etiquette for the person that called to ID themselves and inform the callee why they are calling. Geez, didn't y'all know this when you were like 4? I did.
My brother answered the phone one day, back when we were around 20, and the guy on the other end just says, "Hi, who's this?"

My brother responds angrily with, "What do you mean, 'who's this'? When you call someone, you say who you are first, then ask for the person you want to speak with!"

The other guy, flustered, says, "Oh, I'm sorry, this is Uncle Ritchie, is Dotty home?"

Uncle Ritchie is my mentally challenged uncle. Made my brother feel like such an a-hole.
:laugh:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Another rotten trick the crooks do is to call you up and ask some question that you'll answer "yes" to, such as "Can you hear me?" Then they use that recording of your voice saying "yes" to "prove" you consented to buying something. So all of a sudden you end up with some charge on your credit card, whose details they stole somehow.

If someone you don't know calls you up and asks some question, don't answer and instead just hang up. Better yet, don't even answer if you don't know who it is. Let them leave a voice mail if it's something real.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Go to https://www.netflix.com/
Choose Sign In
Enter your user name and password
Look for your member account information. You can securely update your credit card information if Netflix requires it.

If you do not have a website account already sent up: choose Sign up now instead after reaching the site. You will be able to confirm or update your credit card information securely afterwards.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So, to make a long story short, after staying on hold for 30 minutes, they said the average wait time was 9 minutes,, I talked to my bank. They said the problem was connected to an Amazon purchase I made a little while ago. The person I talked to was able to fix the problem, and all is well.

Thanks for your help.
So the purchase you made caused the bank to put a hold on your card?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another rotten trick the crooks do is to call you up and ask some question that you'll answer "yes" to, such as "Can you hear me?" Then they use that recording of your voice saying "yes" to "prove" you consented to buying something. So all of a sudden you end up with some charge on your credit card, whose details they stole somehow.

If someone you don't know calls you up and asks some question, don't answer and instead just hang up. Better yet, don't even answer if you don't know who it is. Let them leave a voice mail if it's something real.
If you answer an unknown call and it is from a spammer/scammer, it validates your phone number as being "active" and then that information can be stored in a database and shared (or sold) to a lot of other spam or scam services.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Go to https://www.netflix.com/
Choose Sign In
Enter your user name and password
Look for your member account information. You can securely update your credit card information if Netflix requires it.

If you do not have a website account already sent up: choose Sign up now instead after reaching the site. You will be able to confirm or update your credit card information securely afterwards.