Never forget September 11, 2001

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
"we all have a duty to devote at least a small portion of our daily lives to ensure that neither America nor the world ever forgets September 11th"...Bill Frist

A time to remember those who died, those who served, and those who carry on.

Never forget.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Out of respect and love for our nation and for the deceased and their affected loved ones, Queen Elizabeth II broke 600 year English tradition and had her Royal Guard play the US national anthem outside of Buckingham Palace back in September 2001 when 9/11 happened...and once again last year on the 20th Anniversary of 9/11.

Carson

Reaction score
A lot of people lost their lives that day…I don’t think people realize how many people that survived but ended up having long lasting effects…

My condolences to all those effected by the tragedy.
Agree with you.

I’ve always read the stories and the people escaping and being near impact. It’s just insane what people have had to endure.

It’s one of the reasons I enlisted after high school

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
2,977 people died that day. Over 2,000 have died from cancer and other ailments since then. That's about 5,000 dead.

Some don't like to talk about the war efforts, but over 7,000 troops died in Afghanistan and Iraq. Let's not forget those guys either.

Scotman

Reaction score
I was an elementary principal then. The district went on lockdown, but left it up to the principals to decide whether or not to say anything to the kids. I felt like those events were going to change the whole world. Thousands lost and retaliation most certainly coming. The vibrations of those impacts would span generations.

Right or wrong, I decided not to tell the kids. My thought at the time was that their world could wait a few more hours to change.

The magnitude of it hit me right away. It settled deep in my chest. Thousands of lives lost. Thousands of stories cut short. Someone who was only days away from meeting the love of their life. Some woman who left two kids at daycare just to go in to a job she was leaving. Young men and women just beginning to earn their way in life. A grandfather just days away from retiring and spending his golden years with his wife. The stories go on and on. Lost in the stories, dust and rubble is the immense loss of potential.

9/11 changed things. I don't have to be reminded to remember. For some, this is already nothing more than a footnote in history. Or, they want to point and blame. For me, it's just an incalculable loss that can never be recovered.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I was an elementary principal then. The district went on lockdown, but left it up to the principals to decide whether or not to say anything to the kids. I felt like those events were going to change the whole world. Thousands lost and retaliation most certainly coming. The vibrations of those impacts would span generations.

Right or wrong, I decided not to tell the kids. My thought at the time was that their world could wait a few more hours to change.

The magnitude of it hit me right away. It settled deep in my chest. Thousands of lives lost. Thousands of stories cut short. Someone who was only days away from meeting the love of their life. Some woman who left two kids at daycare just to go in to a job she was leaving. Young men and women just beginning to earn their way in life. A grandfather just days away from retiring and spending his golden years with his wife. The stories go on and on. Lost in the stories, dust and rubble is the immense loss of potential.

9/11 changed things. I don't have to be reminded to remember. For some, this is already nothing more than a footnote in history. Or, they want to point and blame. For me, it's just an incalculable loss that can never be recovered.

Thanks for sharing this

CWR

Reaction score

This was back when educators left it to the parents to handle complex issues. Fwiw, I believe you did the right thing. 5 years later on Sept 11th, 2006 I started the HFD fire academy.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I personally believe you were right to allow their parents to be the ones to explain what happened that day. Not everyone reacts the same way, and there may have been too many who needed reassurance that they had nothing to be afraid of. That would best be handled by their parents.