Never forget September 11, 2001

terra

Reaction score
2,977 people died that day. Over 2,000 have died from cancer and other ailments since then. That's about 5,000 dead.

Some don't like to talk about the war efforts, but over 7,000 troops died in Afghanistan and Iraq. Let's not forget those guys either.
so many first responders were not wearing sufficient protective equipment; so many came down with lung cancer and other respiratory illnesses.

Hardline

Reaction score
On the bright side. This would've been Tom Landry's 98th birthday.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Agree with you.

I’ve always read the stories and the people escaping and being near impact. It’s just insane what people have had to endure.

It’s one of the reasons I enlisted after high school
I never heard the stories until I became a adult….I’ve read people suffering from ptsd, they’ve become drug addicts or alcoholics, died later on from smoke in their lungs, developed lung cancer…just a nightmare. That tragedy is effecting lives to this day…damn I hate that for families and the victims.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I went to a memorial service for it today at the Strategic Air Command Museum for 9/11. My brother, who works as a commercial airline pilot, was there with me. I remember as soon as the attacks happened, I was worried about my brother, who I knew was flying that day. However, as soon as I found out which airlines had been hijacked, I knew it could not have been his flight, since he worked for a different airline at the time. What did happen was that his flight was immediately ordered to land with no explanation.

I was on my way to my job at a Denver tech firm when the first plane hit. When I arrived, my coworkers were already talking about a plan crashing into the WTC, though they didn't know yet that it was a terrorist attack. Later, when the second plane hit, they knew, and we were all sent home.

CWR

Reaction score
so many first responders were not wearing sufficient protective equipment; so many came down with lung cancer and other respiratory illnesses.

They had to fight for the medical coverage they needed up until a year or two ago also. The problem is the human body isn't designed to wear all that gear for hours upon end. Even with people knowing what they do now, it's very rare for anyone to be fully geared up after the fire is extinguished and during overhaul. Part of it is poor culture, and the rest is simple physical exertion.

Never forget they were heros, until they needed medical coverage. It's typical, unfortunately as we forget about our vets who come back struggling as well.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
They had to fight for the medical coverage they needed up until a year or two ago also. The problem is the human body isn't designed to wear all that gear for hours upon end. Even with people knowing what they do now, it's very rare for anyone to be fully geared up after the fire is extinguished and during overhaul. Part of it is poor culture, and the rest is simple physical exertion.

Never forget they were heros, until they needed medical coverage. It's typical, unfortunately as we forget about our vets who come back struggling as well.

That drives me nuts. They're heroes and therefore ought to be able to get whatever medical help they need. When 9/11 happened, there was all this talk about uniting as a people. I would hope that still applies, and thus the public would demand that they get what they need to have a chance at being healthy.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
That drives me nuts. They're heroes and therefore ought to be able to get whatever medical help they need. When 9/11 happened, there was all this talk about uniting as a people. I would hope that still applies, and thus the public would demand that they get what they need to have a chance at being healthy.

The public always loves their firemen. Unfortunately when it comes time to act politicians do what they do and there isn't enough backlash. Same way Sly Turner stole half my pension 10 years in, and then had the police union sue to block our pay raise.

The public supports us, but they aren't marching city hall.

quickccc

Reaction score
Sept. 11, 2001

i remember the day, started hearing the incoming news at work ,,, co workers getting messages from friends/relatives at home watching TV ..what was initially thought to be a horrible plane accident was immediately erased and re-started as a terrorism attack with the 2nd plane tower

sheer panic and fear at work place and into the streets , stalled traffic jams, everyone cutting out and trying to get home immediately, some worried
about their kids, schools panicking too, .. People being told to get away from tall towers and buildings, internet was stalled and frozen from miles out ..

At the end of the say, millions gathered in front of our home television trying to gather as much information as possible ..
it was awhile before Americans were able to regroup their lives again, ...

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I was working for a stock trading platform (Quote.com) in California I’m my early 20s at the time. We operated on east coast time, so I was up and already working at the office. I remember someone coming in from the break room and saying a plane crashed into a skyscraper in NYC. I immediately thought it unfortunate but likely a Cessna or other small plane, not a commercial airliner.

I also remember literally laughing at the suggestion by one of my colleagues that it was done intentionally to bring the building down. After another 10-15 minutes (or whenever the second plane crashed) and folks came running in and telling people we all headed to the break room and we’re glued to the TV. We all left work early that day and I just remember the eerie feeling of being attacked and not knowing what was coming next.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The wound is fresh as if it was yesterday. Hearing horrific stories to this day. Watched 9/11 TV show yesterday where a father of 3 at the time, lost his beloved wife. She had perished by turning around trying to save others.

They did find her left hip bone & brought it to him. The young father had to raise all 3 girls alone & they interviewed them who are now in their twenties. Each one is aware on how their mom died, a hero.

Many of those who died left behind children who were so young they never got to know their parents. Gut wrenching. :(