Never like the nickname America's Team

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Americas Team... Never liked it. Yes or No

It had more meaning back in the '70's when I was 10 years old, but I quit using the term many years ago when talking about the Cowboys. It just doesn't have the same meaning any longer.

Jerry doesn't care and neither do I. Forbes status means much more to Jerry than winning championships.

Flamma

Reaction score
As a fan from the UK I've never understood it either. That and 'world champions' that one always makes me smile. Fair enough when we have a franchise in London

I always thought world champions was stupid too. Anyone can be world champions of something the rest of the world doesn't play. But I always loved America's team. I think that was coined due to the fact someone noticed the Cowboys seemed to have a lot of fans all over the country.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The term "America's Team" profoundly disturbs some Cowboys fans more than it does for any fans of any other sports team in the world. Yes or no?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Love them or hate them people are drawn to the Cowboys. Cowboys get a lot of attention across the nations. This is why and how they became America's team. I know Landry hated the name, for me never bothered me once

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a fan from the UK I've never understood it either. That and 'world champions' that one always makes me smile. Fair enough when we have a franchise in London
I always thought world champions was stupid too. Anyone can be world champions of something the rest of the world doesn't play. But I always loved America's team. I think that was coined due to the fact someone noticed the Cowboys seemed to have a lot of fans all over the country.

Well the "world champions" applies actually.
If a country has an issue with it, let them form a football league, then challenge the SB champs.

Do you have a problem then with the World Series?

NFL films coined that phrase, Tex Schramm took it and ran with it. And it worked.

csirl

Reaction score
Well the "world champions" applies actually.
If a country has an issue with it, let them form a football league, then challenge the SB champs.

Do you have a problem then with the World Series?

NFL films coined that phrase, Tex Schramm took it and ran with it. And it worked.

Other countries - over 100 of them worldwide -DO have football leagues. A small number are even professional. Whats more, there is an official World Championship, which isnt the Superbowl.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFAF_World_Championship

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
It had more meaning back in the '70's when I was 10 years old, but I quit using the term many years ago when talking about the Cowboys. It just doesn't have the same meaning any longer.

Jerry doesn't care and neither do I. Forbes status means much more to Jerry than winning championships.

Not to mention in today's world the name gets to the players heads and they become too flamboyant and it distracts them staying focused on their game play. Then they also get involved in all sorts of off field activities that is non-conductive to being a pro sportsperson or good roll model.

csirl

Reaction score
Well, then let them challenge the NFL then.

They'd love to. Its the NFL who wont do it.

Reminds me of the time when England wouldnt enter World Cups in soccer because they believed everyone else was beneath them as they invented soccer. Things can change rapidly over the course of a couple of decades.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They'd love to. Its the NFL who wont do it.

More to the logistics than just saying no we won't. Like player contracts and injuries. I am sure they have legit leagues, but no one ever hears about them. We do not hear about, say, the Japanese World Football Champs. But they sure heard about the NFL.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
maxresdefault.jpg