Twitter: New catch rule going into effect

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"The new catch rule, Vincent said, will require only that a receiver have control of the football, and any slight movement of the football in the receiver’s hands detected via replay review would not result in an incompletion.

The new rule will eliminate the requirement that a receiver who is in the process of going to the ground while making a catch must maintain control of the football while on the turf to be awarded a legal catch.

The replay standard for overturning an on-field ruling of a catch will be indisputable video evidence rather than clear and obvious.

“The Dez Bryant play, that’d be a catch” under the new rule, Vincent said, mentioning a series of controversial non-catch calls over the years. “The Jesse James play, that’d be a catch.”"
We'll see. It should never have been this hard. It's a joke.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Rule will be that if the Dez play happens again they promise to rule it a catch this time.

We got screwed, the ref standing there ruled it a catch and down a yard or 1/2 yard short of the goal line.

Just when I try to put it behind me they drag it back up. Media will be replaying that play to show how they changed the rule now.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I’ve been saying for three years the league will get rid of the “going to the ground” part of the rule or make some major modifications to it. That’s the part of the rule that’s caused most of the confusion and has negated several great catches.

Motown12

First words were not Mom or Dad but Flex Defense
Reaction score
for 95 years every NFL fan knew what a catch was and then the Perrerias and Blandinos of the world became part of the narrative almost every week. It sickens me every time they have Perreria up in the booth with Aikman and Buck as part of the "3 man crew". And then the NFL owners in charge of Goodells compensation were tripping over themselves to get him an extension even though he still had 18 months left on his contract. It just goes to show you how out of touch they have become with so much of the diehard fan base.

Air Force One

Reaction score
Well at least they changed it. This has been one of the biggest things for me in questioning why I even watched anymore. This will make for better football again. Not necessarily for the Cowboys, just football in general.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
sick of this bs, we got screwed, so they had to stay with the garbage for a couple years to try and justify their garbage... Ugh, what could've been, who knows how the game woul'dve ended, but we had a great shot :(

I rationalize that the Dez play spared us the agony of Aaron Rodgers marching down the field and ripping our hearts out with 3 seconds left...not that anything like that could ever happen. :banghead:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Rule will be that if the Dez play happens again they promise to rule it a catch this time.

We got screwed, the ref standing there ruled it a catch and down a yard or 1/2 yard short of the goal line.

Just when I try to put it behind me they drag it back up. Media will be replaying that play to show how they changed the rule now.

C’mon man let it go! We don’t need to turn this into yet another Dez catch cry fest. You’re dragging it back up by continuing to cry over the ruling. The rule is being changed.