Twitter: New catch rule going into effect

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After wasting so much time and energy trying to change a mind that refuses to be changed...Sometimes you just gotta walk away and quit wasting time.

Just some advice that I should follow more often myself.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm sure I could if I spent the time. The important thing for me is maintaining possession of the ball. I'm not getting back into any of the plays that were reversed because I don't have an issue with how the rule was, fans who didn't understand how it was written did. Any of those plays that were called incomplete would have been if they maintained possession. Seems good to me. Just find better ways of explaining the rule.

The competition committee spent several years trying to come up with a better, simpler catch rule to eliminate as much confusion and controversy as possible and you honestly believe if you spent the time you could come up with a rule that would be void of any judgement and controversy? Are you for real? :laugh: I got news for you, you could assemble the greatest minds this world has ever seen and they wouldn’t be able to come up with a catch rule that would be completely void of judgment and controversy which every fan would agree with. It’s impossible! There’s always going to be some judgment in determining control and not every fan is going to agree with the call. The original catch rule resulted in the previous catch rule because there was some controversy when a receiver had full control of the ball. There’s always going to be some judgment in determining that.

This resulted in the going to the ground part of the rule making a receiver hold onto the ball through the contact of the ground. That rule not only created even more controversy but confusion on what is and isn’t a catch. The rule negated touchdowns and obvious catches that would have been ruled down by contact had the receiver not had to survive the ground with the ball.