Twitter: New catch rule going into effect

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I’ve been giving what I think the rule should be for three years and it’s exactly what the league has come up with. I discussed what I think the rule should be with you weeks ago and you didn’t like it. You thought it would create more fumbles. It’s going to create more catches and a few more fumbles. I’m fine with that trade off. It’s better than seeing great catches negated because the receiver couldn’t survive the ground with the ball.
Name 5 of these great catches from last year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Because the falling player can not protect himself like a player on his feet. They are much more exposed.

It's the whole reason the going to the ground rule was put in the way it was.

The reason the going to the ground rule was put into affect is because they wanted to make absolutely sure a receiver had total control of the football so they made them go through a process of having to survive the ground with the ball. A defender trying to nail a receiver who’s going to the ground is only going to end up with them nailing the receiver in the head or neck area when they’re on the ground. Your overthinking this way too much because if what you think is going to happen was the case the NFL would have never change the rule. They wouldn’t have changed the rule if it was going to result in safety concerns.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Because the falling player can not protect himself like a player on his feet. They are much more exposed.

It's the whole reason the going to the ground rule was put in the way it was.
No it wasn't.

Going to the ground came into play so that plays where the catch process can't be completed have another way to become a catch...OOB, end zone, diving players, etc.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Name 5 of these great catches from last year.

There’s been great catches over the past several years negated from Calvin Johnson’s catch to Dez’s catch. The rule wasn’t changed because of what happened this past year. It took several years of controversy to get this rule changed.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I’m being sensitive? Lol This is a discussion forum and I’m giving my opinion. I gave my opinion on what I think the rule should be several weeks ago to BlindFaith, it’s the same rule I’ve been posting for 3 years and it’s the exact rule that will being going into effect in 2018. :thumbup:Not everyone does have my exact point of view which is why a lot of people end up being wrong. :) So what rule can you come up with that would be better than this one?
There's still going to be controversy over movement of the ball. So I don't know.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
The reason the going to the ground rule was put into affect is because they wanted to make absolutely sure a receiver had total control of the football so they made them go through a process of having to survive the ground with the ball. A defender trying to nail a receiver who’s going to the ground is only going to end up with them nailing the receiver in the head or neck area when they’re on the ground. Your overthinking this way too much because if what you think is going to happen was the case the NFL would have never change the rule. They wouldn’t have changed the rule if it was going to result in safety concerns.
What I'm saying is the exact same thing Pereira was saying when he talked about possibly making a rule change.

But let's roll with it. I love watching heads explode.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Why would it be any different from the way it was before 2015?
Because the rule will be completely different. And for the first time since at least the 90s, and probably much further back, a player will not have to maintain possession while contacting the ground.

And that is different than the ground can't cause a fumble.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
This was ruled an INTERCEPTION in 2015. Before 2015, the only question would have been, "was he down before the fumble?"

phiint.0.gif

Since the player had to be "upright long enough" to become a runner, they ruled Ginn never caught the ball, so he had to maintain control after hitting the ground before it could be a catch. So he never actually "caught" it. The ball wasn't caught until Carroll "intercepted" it six yards down field.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Exactly, you're catching on.
When did you hear me say a falling player is a player in the process of catching a pass? A falling player could be a guy who takes a handoff and runs 10 yards, gets tackled and fumbles on the way to the ground.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
This was ruled an INTERCEPTION in 2015. Before 2015, the only question would have been, "was he down before the fumble?"

phiint.0.gif

Since the player had to be "upright long enough" to become a runner, they ruled Ginn never caught the ball, so he had to maintain control after hitting the ground before it could be a catch. So he never actually "caught" it. The ball wasn't caught until Carroll "intercepted" it six yards down field.
It would have been ruled an interception in 2014 as well.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
For the first time since at least the 90s, and probably much further back, a player will not have to maintain possession while contacting the ground.
You seem to be confused about this. Assuming they go back to the pre-2015 rule, a player who hasn't completed the catch process will still have to maintain possession while contacting the ground. The change is that he'll no longer be required to be "upright long enough" to complete the catch process.

blindzebra

Reaction score
When did you hear me say a falling player is a player in the process of catching a pass? A falling player could be a guy who takes a handoff and runs 10 yards, gets tackled and fumbles on the way to the ground.
He makes it up as it goes along. The goal posts are in a new place every post.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
But that player has already caught the ball.

If a player is falling while in the process of making a catch, they have to maintain possession.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
You seem to be confused about this. Assuming they go back to the pre-2015 rule, a player who hasn't completed the catch process will still have to maintain possession while contacting the ground. The change is that he'll no longer be required to be "upright long enough" to complete the catch process.
Nope. They are removing the going to the ground rule. So I hear.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
But that player has already caught the ball.

If a player is falling while in the process of making a catch, they have to maintain possession.
That would be the reason that a falling player isn't the same as a player in the process of catching a pass.