News: New deal coming for Cowboys center Travis Frederick?

CCBoy

Reaction score
New deal coming for Cowboys center Travis Frederick?
http://thelandryhat.com/2016/06/20/cowboys-new-deal-coming-travis-frederick/

Here’s why the Dallas Cowboys should be giving their Pro Bowl center, Travis Frederick, a contract extension soon.

Beware, it’s danger season in the NFL. For the next six weeks or so, players are away from their respective teams and it’s a time when problems arise. Players have a tendency to get into trouble this time of year without having anywhere to be until late July. The Dallas Cowboys should spend that time wisely and the front office can help.

Now is the time to re-sign center Travis Frederick. The cost on contracts for offensive linemen continues to rise and Fredbeard deserves a long-term deal as one of the game’s best centers.

The Cowboys have the money to make it happen and signing Frederick could save them from paying the $8.8 million fifth year option they exercised in April. That seems to be the going rate for top of the line centers in the league; Atlanta Falcons center Alex Mack averages $9 million a year, Miami Dolphins center Mike Pouncey comes in at $8.95 per year, his brother Maurkice Pouncey earns $8.8 million with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Oakland Raiders center Rodney Hudson makes $8.9 million a season.

Re-signing Frederick now may keep the Cowboys from overpaying when his contract is up. Waiting until next offseason could cost the Cowboys more money and things can get contentious when a player makes it to free agency. When the pressure builds to get a deal done, that’s when teams tend to overspend...

Derinyar

Reaction score
I hope it happens to a reasonable deal. He's a top 5 C and should get paid as such. I do think the Cowboys seem to get decent structures for the guys who they sign early, and maybe Fredbeard will be one of those. That Smith Contract is wonderful for us, and I suspect that he sees most of it if he stays healthy. Hopefully Fredbeard follows his lead and signs a deal good for both sides.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
I personally would wait to next year. He's got a very resonable contract this season then escalates to what the top centers are making next year. They could likely sign him to a lower cap figure in 2017, while paying a similar contract to what he would get this offseason. The center market isnt likely to skyrocket based on who has already gotten paid. 5 year 45 million dollar deal is likely what theyre looking at. Maybe guaranteed money jumps a bit over a year, but at his age hes likely to see all of it anyway.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I believe it's next years cap they want to fit the new contract in and replace that 5th year option number with the extension. Maybe something is done this year - mid to late season?

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Might as well sign early to get some discount. I have no worry of him regressing.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I personally would wait to next year. He's got a very resonable contract this season then escalates to what the top centers are making next year. They could likely sign him to a lower cap figure in 2017, while paying a similar contract to what he would get this offseason. The center market isnt likely to skyrocket based on who has already gotten paid. 5 year 45 million dollar deal is likely what theyre looking at. Maybe guaranteed money jumps a bit over a year, but at his age hes likely to see all of it anyway.

And next year, you are looking at 10 mill or more per year. The idea that the market isn't exploding is incorrect. Alex Mack is a great center. He's also 30. Giant 3rd contracts are pretty rare. Hudson is a good center but he's not in Fred's league. Not even close. Mike Pounce is good but not as good as his brother who signed for almost 9 mill a year in 2014.

The market has exploded. The last two years saw huge deals for guys that are not top 5 centers (Fin's Pouncey, Hudson) and a massive deal for an older player (Mack).

Fred is 25 and top 5. That combination puts him in a different boat than many of the contracts cited for comparison. Look at Hudson's deal, the ask "what would he have gotten if he had a legit resume?" Then realize that the market has exploded.

CCBoy

Reaction score
PHILLIP PROCTOR
SPRINGFIELD, VA

Zack Martin is arguably the best guard in all of football. Why is he not getting any love on the NFL's top 100 players?

Bryan: Well if it matters to you, on our Top 50 list and quite high. My guess is that the players didn’t feel like that he played to that level which to be honest, he didn’t start off that well. He got banged up in training camp and that hurt him. As the season went on – I thought he did improve. I wouldn’t worry much about that ranking.

David: For the sake of argument, I suppose you could say that Zack Martin was flagged a whopping 11 times – 14 times, if you include declined flags – last season. The Cowboys also went 4-12. Now, I still think he’s one of the best guards in the NFL, but those things might help explain why he’s not showing up in the rankings. Having said that, these rankings list are hardly comprehensive. They’re done to create content and generate conversation during the slowest part of the offseason. They’re not worth getting upset about.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2016/06/21/mailbag-offseason-workouts-camp-no-respect-zack-martin

Verdict

Reaction score
I agree that we should sign Fred Beard to a contract extension. He is probably the second most important OL, second only to left tackle. But let's also ask ourselves what he is worth on the open market, and what would it take for you to trade him to another team? No, I don't want that to happen, I am just asking what you think it would take to trade him off to another team.

This would have been a more realistic exercise if this discussion was occurring pre-draft, since we wouldn't let him go and leave a hole at center. But would you have let Fred Beard walk for a late first and a late third round pick? You could potentially draft his replacement late in the first, keep cap costs down and get a bonus 3rd round pick for the trade. Would you do it?

The same could be asked about Martin. Would you let Martin walk today for a first and a third? I probably wouldn't but that draft capital would sure come in handy on the next draft day. I know it won't happen, but it is interesting to discuss.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Perhaps a combo of guaranteed money and longer contract can get him in the low 8M range.

It is going to be hard to retain all the starters on that OL. One or two may get away.

Compare that line with the early 90s. We had Allen and early Williams who were the stars. The rest were merely good to pretty darn good. The line has stars along the left side, C, and RG. Only Free is merely good. If we were still without FA then we'd have a dynasty along that line esp if we added a better RT. As it is we will be lucky to keep 3 or the 4 stars.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
And next year, you are looking at 10 mill or more per year. The idea that the market isn't exploding is incorrect. Alex Mack is a great center. He's also 30. Giant 3rd contracts are pretty rare. Hudson is a good center but he's not in Fred's league. Not even close. Mike Pounce is good but not as good as his brother who signed for almost 9 mill a year in 2014.

The market has exploded. The last two years saw huge deals for guys that are not top 5 centers (Fin's Pouncey, Hudson) and a massive deal for an older player (Mack).

Fred is 25 and top 5. That combination puts him in a different boat than many of the contracts cited for comparison. Look at Hudson's deal, the ask "what would he have gotten if he had a legit resume?" Then realize that the market has exploded.

He wont get more than 10 million a year this year or next. Keep in mind his cap number is around 2.1 million this year, resigning him now probably increases that figure 4+ million more that could also be carried forward. I rather more time on a rookie contract knowing you have leverage and the avg. Per year is very unlikely to drastically increase in the short term. Only way you lock him up now is if you can work up an extension that is team friendly and lower than other top centers. Center isnt a skill position, if we were talking wr, qb, etc. Then sure it makes sense to extend now.