News: New deal coming for Cowboys center Travis Frederick?

Verdict

Reaction score
He wont get more than 10 million a year this year or next. Keep in mind his cap number is around 2.1 million this year, resigning him now probably increases that figure 4+ million more that could also be carried forward. I rather more time on a rookie contract knowing you have leverage and the avg. Per year is very unlikely to drastically increase in the short term. Only way you lock him up now is if you can work up an extension that is team friendly and lower than other top centers. Center isnt a skill position, if we were talking wr, qb, etc. Then sure it makes sense to extend now.

Well, it only makes sense to extend him now if you don't want him to get away (check) and you can give him long term security, by passing some of his risk of loss off to the Cowboys, in return for a team friendly contract at a less than market value extension. It makes sense for the player and the team. It doesn't make sense to extend him and assume the risk and pay an amount equal to or greater than market value from the team's perspective, because you would be taking on risk for no return on that investment.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I personally would wait to next year. He's got a very resonable contract this season then escalates to what the top centers are making next year. They could likely sign him to a lower cap figure in 2017, while paying a similar contract to what he would get this offseason. The center market isnt likely to skyrocket based on who has already gotten paid. 5 year 45 million dollar deal is likely what theyre looking at. Maybe guaranteed money jumps a bit over a year, but at his age hes likely to see all of it anyway.

I can't see anything less than 6/60m if you count his 8.8m for 2017....the Franchise Tag doesn't do the team any favors since it treat all OL as LTs.....

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
I hope they extend him soon and can free up some cap space. On a side note, who is the backup center?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I hope they extend him soon and can free up some cap space. On a side note, who is the backup center?

They won't free up any space extending him.......he only counts 2.2m this year but jumps to 8.8m next year

Any extension will be for more than the 8.8m he gets next year

Looks like Looney is the backup right now

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
They won't free up any space extending him.......he only counts 2.2m this year but jumps to 8.8m next year

Any extension will be for more than the 8.8m he gets next year

Looks like Looney is the backup right now

Didn't know that. So no way to give him more money upfront to somehow give cap relief? I just feel better about the linemen getting money than to do most of the other players. I know I hate on Free, but I just don't believe in him long term, but you can't have rock stars all over the place.

fortdick

Reaction score
Remember how many hated that pick? I know everyone will say they were all for it now. But that was not the actual truth of the matter.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Didn't know that. So no way to give him more money upfront to somehow give cap relief? I just feel better about the linemen getting money than to do most of the other players. I know I hate on Free, but I just don't believe in him long term, but you can't have rock stars all over the place.

They could eventually lower his 2017 number depending on the structure of his deal......it could end being used as a salary cap ATM every year like TSmith's deal....getting it done now could help eat some of the signing bonus pro-ration......it is a safe bet he will play out his entire contract just like TSmith

fortdick

Reaction score
no they liked the player just not that high.

Both, as I remember. But, I said they hated the "pick". So before you tell me I am wrong, take the time to read what I said.

You must have been one of those.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
He wont get more than 10 million a year this year or next. Keep in mind his cap number is around 2.1 million this year, resigning him now probably increases that figure 4+ million more that could also be carried forward. I rather more time on a rookie contract knowing you have leverage and the avg. Per year is very unlikely to drastically increase in the short term. Only way you lock him up now is if you can work up an extension that is team friendly and lower than other top centers. Center isnt a skill position, if we were talking wr, qb, etc. Then sure it makes sense to extend now.

Ridiculous. The only way you get a good deal - E.g. 7 years at 75 mill - is if you buy out some of the rookie contract.

Wake the f up to reality

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Well, it only makes sense to extend him now if you don't want him to get away (check) and you can give him long term security, by passing some of his risk of loss off to the Cowboys, in return for a team friendly contract at a less than market value extension. It makes sense for the player and the team. It doesn't make sense to extend him and assume the risk and pay an amount equal to or greater than market value from the team's perspective, because you would be taking on risk for no return on that investment.

After next season he will have made over 16m......I would say he isn't pressed to sign a bad deal.....he might want to get some more upfront but his 8.8m salary for next year guarantees in March.......I don't see any deals with TFred unless he just doesn't like money

jrumann59

Reaction score
Both, as I remember. But, I said they hated the "pick". So before you tell me I am wrong, take the time to read what I said.

You must have been one of those.

Po-tay-toe, Po-tah-toe.

Actually I liked the pick at that point all the talent left was at the time considered 2nd round grades or worse. Fredrick was taken with the 31st pick which at that point in that draft was nothing but an early 2nd rounder. People wanted a sexy pick, centers are not sexy, in hindsight I am sure many of the teeth gnashers and hand wringers have changed their tone about it. It was a safe pick that has paid off in spades.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
fredbeard just looks like a center. a tough one. "I would hate to get into a fight with that guy"

sign him. pay him fair market, and be glad we have a center for years and years to come!!

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Ridiculous. The only way you get a good deal - E.g. 7 years at 75 mill - is if you buy out some of the rookie contract.

Wake the f up to reality

A bit grumpy, lol? I didnt realize you knew so much about contracts, 75 million seems high for a center. The total deal is probably more in the neighborhood of 50 million.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
A bit grumpy, lol? I didnt realize you knew so much about contracts, 75 million seems high for a center. The total deal is probably more in the neighborhood of 50 million.

Seems too high. Until you see what others got and factor age and quality of play in.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Some of you guys are really bad at math. Currently the (top) centers are getting in the 8.8 - 9 million a year with the contracts in the same neighborhood of 5 yrs 45 million. If you added that to his current deals it's 7 years 55 million area. If you didn't count this season it would be 6 years 53.8 area.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
I'm guessing they'll try to get another 8 year deal like they did with Tyron

Thefeelofcotton

Mandalorian
Reaction score
Bsj71Z1CMAAYmYK.jpg

Seriously, if we don't re-sign anyone else from the O-Line, a great center is very difficult to come by.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
In the past, the Cowboys have adhered to a policy of signing their most talented players early rather than late. I think they will again in 2016.