New Defensive Scheme

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
There is a lot of confusion about our depth chart, the value of Crawford, and why we have so few traditional, off-ball LBs. I think it also makes sense why signing Griffen was not a top priority. A nice bonus? Absolutely! But, a necessity to make this scheme work? Probably not.

So let me quickly try to address some of the front 7 schemes we will see from our new DC. This is just meant to be the basics, in no way an exhaustive look at our new defense, but hopefully, it will clear up some confusion.

First, forget everything you knew about Rod's basic 4-3 scheme. It is as old and predictable as dirt.
For example, Crawford is NOT starting as a base 4-3 RDE, as he did in '18. If we still had Rod, it would have made much more sense to have Griffen or Smith start at the DE across from Tank, rather than Crawford.

This is very close to what our base "4-3" will look like:
4-3_Under_large.png

According to the depth chart, the 1-tech is Poe, the 3-tech is Hill, and the 5-tech is Crawford. The LEO is DLaw and the starting SAM is Smith. Unlike Rod's defense, the primary role of the three inside guys will be to occupy the OL. Hill takes the LG, Poe occupies the Center and RG and Crawford occupies the RT. This leaves the Tank (or Griffen) one-on-one with the LT. It allows LVE (Mike) and JSmith(Will) to roam freely, while ASmith (Sam/DPR) one-on-one with the TE. I really like what our front seven looks like in this formation. Be warned - Poe, Hill, and Crawford will not fill up the stat sheet in this formation - so many of you will call them trash or JAGs but if LVE, Smith, Smith, Tank, and Griffen have great years, its because the other three are doing their jobs.

We will also see a lot of 3-4. People are a little more familiar with the basics of the 3-4 since we ran it for a number of years, but here is a look at one version of it:
hqdefault.jpg

The biggest difference is that Tank/Griffen will be standing up on the edge.

The most fun will come from when we go into the 4-2 nickel and we have our best pass rushers out there at the same time. I imagine we will see a variety of lineups in the "Nascar" package, but the unit that will see the most time is Tank, Griffen, Smith, and every body's favorite whipping boy -Crawford.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
There is 0 functional differences between the two pictures. Whether the edge is in a 2- or 3-point means nothing. Anything with Smith and Lawrence on the edge of what is effectively a 5-front might show up 3-4 times per game. Dropping one of them in coverage is a huge waste of their talents, and otherwise, you're committing to a 5-man rush and making it easy for the offense. It's just not a defense that makes a lot of sense in today's NFL.

Teams all run 11 personnel because it mostly eliminates this type of personnell. The "Nascar" package is the one we'll see a lot more of.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Great post. If you went back in time six months and said "Aldon Smith will get ten sacks for the Cowboys this year", people would have said you were nuts.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Realize that the 1st picture is against 13 personnel.

Second pic is 21 personnel.

13 personnel accounted for 3% of offensive packages in the NFL last year. 21 accounted for 8%.

If we run that against 11 personnel (60%) or 12 personnel (20%), Mike Nolan will be coaching linebackers somewhere.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
4-3_Under_large.png

Personnel wise, we could give this look with:

MIKE: LVE
WILL: Jaylon
LEO: Everson Griffen or Randy Gregory
SAM: Aldon Smith or Randy Gregroy
3-TECH: Tyrone Crawford or Trysten Hill (puke to both options)
1-TECH: Dontari Poe
5-TECH: Tank

jrumann59

Reaction score
4-3_Under_large.png

Maybe its just me but having Gregory or A. Smith in coverage scares me.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Maybe its just me but having Gregory or A. Smith in coverage scares me.
And this is why I think we're going to see very few of these looks. It's not that they scare me in coverage, it's just...what are they going to accomplish in coverage?

When you have 5 DL on the field, you're not really giving yourself much flexibility outside of stunting and different blitzes. But you aren't going to really make teams guess much who is going to come, and who is going to cover.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Gregory or A. Smith in coverage scares me.
Against one of the 3 TE's, I think they'd be okay.

Most likely TE #3. They are athletic enough to handle.

Probably a Zone drop anyway. Athletic enough, long arms to shorten passing windows.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
And this is why I think we're going to see very few of these looks. It's not that they scare me in coverage, it's just...what are they going to accomplish in coverage?
So many people use this pic as The Example of this type of scheme, but they aren't paying attention to the circumstances. Not only is it against 13 personnel, the offense is coming out of their end zone.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
So many people use this pic as The Example of this type of scheme, but they aren't paying attention to the circumstances. Not only is it against 13 personnel, the offense is coming out of their end zone.
It's also from like 2014. I think the point is just to show the alignment.

Edit: It's from December 2011.

Like you, I've been saying that this alignment - and the DE/OLB nuance - doesn't matter much, because you can't use it against 11. It's a differentiator that's mostly expired in the NFL.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
There is 0 functional differences between the two pictures. Whether the edge is in a 2- or 3-point means nothing. Anything with Smith and Lawrence on the edge of what is effectively a 5-front might show up 3-4 times per game. Dropping one of them in coverage is a huge waste of their talents, and otherwise, you're committing to a 5-man rush and making it easy for the offense. It's just not a defense that makes a lot of sense in today's NFL.

Teams all run 11 personnel because it mostly eliminates this type of personnell. The "Nascar" package is the one we'll see a lot more of.

I am sorry. Bring it up with Nolan and all of the other D-coordinators.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great post. If you went back in time six months and said "Aldon Smith will get ten sacks for the Cowboys this year", people would have said you were nuts.
I might still call you nuts. I will at least concede the possibility, although remote, but with Lawrence and Griffen likely entrenched at DE, and now with the addition of Gregory, there are only going to be so many sack opportunities to go around. And, there still are questions to be answered about what he is capable of after being out of football for 4 1/2 seasons.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
4-3_Under_large.png

Not a bad look at all but Randy Gregory still won't be available until late Oct. Everson Griffin will be a blessing, anyway, though! :)

Last edited:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I am sorry. Bring it up with Nolan and all of the other D-coordinators.
Bring what up? The 3-4/4-3 distinction will matter on a handful of plays a game, at most.

They can go through and install this stuff all they want, but you simply can't run it against 11 lol. There's nothing to ask.