Twitter: New DL coach name to watch: Jim Tomsula

MikeB80

Reaction score
Wow. No, I don't agree. Skins are not a great DL and he wasn't just a bad head coach, he definitely wasn't an excellent assistant coach IMO. If you feel differently, that's fine. Tell me what made him excellent.

the skins DL was actually very good.

You are missing the bigger point here. He has a history with Mike Nolan. They can get to work day one without any hesitation. They all speak the same language and will know what is expected. Greg Manusky has worked with Mike Nolan and was his DC before and Is available and I would like to see him hired as the LB coach but I am not sure he would be willing to do that again.

another point. McCarthy is a Pennsylvania guy, so is Tomsula, so is Manusky.

other possible hires who are long time McCarthy people...Tom Clements...Pennsylvania guy, Luke Getsy (Current GB QB Coach) Pennsylvania guy.

this stuff matters and its all about the comfort level and inter relationships among the men who work on the staff together.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
the skins DL was actually very good.

You are missing the bigger point here. He has a history with Mike Nolan. They can get to work day one without any hesitation. They all speak the same language and will know what is expected. Greg Manusky has worked with Mike Nolan and was his DC before and Is available and I would like to see him hired as the LB coach but I am not sure he would be willing to do that again.

another point. McCarthy is a Pennsylvania guy, so is Tomsula, so is Manusky.

other possible hires who are long time McCarthy people...Tom Clements...Pennsylvania guy, Luke Getsy (Current GB QB Coach) Pennsylvania guy.

this stuff matters and its all about the comfort level and inter relationships among the men who work on the staff together.

Yeah, go take a good look at Mike Nolan's history as a DC. I'm not a big fan of Nolan in recent years either. His best work, to me, was in his early years.

Time will tell.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Yeah, go take a good look at Mike Nolan's history as a DC. I'm not a big fan of Nolan in recent years either. His best work, to me, was in his early years.

Time will tell.

Im fine with Nolan especially if he has his guys around him to coach. Looking at just stats especially yardage does not tell the whole story. He knows every defense under the sun and has seen everything on offense possible with all the years he has been in the league. Everson Walls talked very highly of him yesterday. The guy is a great coach to have on a staff. His experience and tough nosed approach is long overdue here.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Im fine with Nolan especially if he has his guys around him to coach. Looking at just stats especially yardage does not tell the whole story. He knows every defense under the sun and has seen everything on offense possible with all the years he has been in the league. Everson Walls talked very highly of him yesterday. The guy is a great coach to have on a staff. His experience and tough nosed approach is long overdue here.

But that's any Coach right? I mean, if you give any NFL Coach top talent, they really should be able to put up results. I mean, that's why Garrett got fired right, because he couldn't do this with all the talent we have. But think about it, do you see us drafting that talent on the Defensive side of the ball? Do you see us spending multiple number one picks on the DL? That's what it's going to take to be able to provide what you suggest IMO. McCarthy is going to draft Offense, not Defense IMO. We'll see what happens but I don't agree at all. I am not fine with Nolan. His Dad is an old Cowboy guy but Mike Nolan, I am not nearly as impressed with what he has done of late.

JMO

MikeB80

Reaction score
But that's any Coach right? I mean, if you give any NFL Coach top talent, they really should be able to put up results. I mean, that's why Garrett got fired right, because he couldn't do this with all the talent we have. But think about it, do you see us drafting that talent on the Defensive side of the ball? Do you see us spending multiple number one picks on the DL? That's what it's going to take to be able to provide what you suggest IMO. McCarthy is going to draft Offense, not Defense IMO. We'll see what happens but I don't agree at all. I am not fine with Nolan. His Dad is an old Cowboy guy but Mike Nolan, I am not nearly as impressed with what he has done of late.

JMO

we have no idea what the draft is going to look like. Half the team is a free agent and having a new defensive staff I bet a lot of resources go into shaping it how they want to be able to play how they want.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Cool, go tell me where the Defense ranked in each season without Fangio. You don't have to go by win loss. Go do the research and see for yourself. I've already looked it up but be my guest. Go show us how smart you are but don't get lost on your way back to report what you find.

It was your argument. The W-L garbage you posted did nothing to prove your argument.

How about you show some stats that demonstrate your argument? The onus is on you not me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It was your argument. The W-L garbage you posted did nothing to prove your argument.

How about you show some stats that demonstrate your argument? The onus is on you not me.

It was my argument and you failed. Own up, or just do what you usually do, which is refuse to admit you are wrong. Either way, I don't care but do finish what you started. Post the Defensive numbers around the issue. It was your claim, you stepped in it, you post the numbers.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
we have no idea what the draft is going to look like. Half the team is a free agent and having a new defensive staff I bet a lot of resources go into shaping it how they want to be able to play how they want.

We'll see.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It was my argument and you failed. Own up, or just do what you usually do, which is refuse to admit you are wrong. Either way, I don't care but do finish what you started. Post the Defensive numbers around the issue. It was your claim, you stepped in it, you post the numbers.

Introspection: try it.

You made an assertion and backed it up with nonsense W-L. I called you on it and you then wishcast that other stats will back you up. It is what it is.

Meanwhile my post is getting to a dozen likes and yours has zero. The audience thinks your wrong too. you can posture all you like. I am not trying to convince you. You never have gotten that in our exchanges.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Introspection: try it.

You made an assertion and backed it up with nonsense W-L. I called you on it and you then wishcast that other stats will back you up. It is what it is.

Meanwhile my post is getting to a dozen likes and yours has zero. The audience thinks your wrong too. you can posture all you like. I am not trying to convince you. You never have gotten that in our exchanges.

More learning, less talking. Try it.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Oh forgot to add...”Jim”..I keep getting Tom in my head...another old coach,or just my age is catching up with me.