New England is the Better Team... but

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
dangerdoom4124;1709371 said:
Our pass rush is inconsistant and our pass defense is mediocre. It's been like that for how long?
Answer this, are we any closer to getting to the Super Bowl than at any time in the past 12 years?

starfrombirth

Reaction score
burmafrd;1709365 said:
A healthy Newman and a Healthy Henry would make a lot of difference. But we got very little pressure on Brady in the second half- and that really hurt.
we have the personnel NOW to win; we just need them healthy. Get our starting CBs back and Terry Glenn back and let us have another game; adding tank will help as well.

I've got news for you: I said this when Woodsen went out and I'll say it about Glenn. He'll never make a comeback. He's done. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see him come back and play anywhere close to what he did but he wont. The damage, wear, and tear on his knees over the years have just added up and they finally gave out. Best wishes Terry. Thanks for the memories. :bow:

hendog

Reaction score
Add in the fact that NE has been in the same system for years and we are starting just our 6th game w/ a new HC, OC, DC and a QB in his 16th start.. Most teams are given a free pass that 1st yr at least with an all new coaching staff. NE is a great team but they have probably reached their peak. We on the other hand have a ton of improving that will occur in the coming months.

Nice post Wayne.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I can't remember the last time a QB like Brady had receivers like he has, along with a very good OL...they get down to their 3rd RB and it's Faulk?

Let's also not forget that we definitely had a superior running game to theirs. We were running the ball very effectively in the 3rd quarter...we stopped their running game cold until the end of the game. Unfortunately, penalties stopped some of our possessions and caused a couple to end in FG's...then when we fell behind, we couldn't keep running the ball the way we'd like to have done to grind them down in the 4th quarter.

I really don't understand all the fuss about our secondary tonight, though. Even when Brady was completing 3rd down after 3rd down, the guys were not wide open...often they had defenders hanging on them or tackling them just as the ball arrived. Name me any team in the NFL with CB's who can cover all those 1,2, and 3 yard passes he was completing on 3rd and 1,2, or 3. We even had them throwing on the goal line with 1 yard to go...our defense was doing something right.

Welker is the ideal 3rd receiver....he's small, but so quick that he can get separation from just about anyone when he's running in motion or set off the line...he gets tackled just about every time, but how do you expect someone to be in his hip pocket batting down the ball when he's in motion or the slot, set off the line? Most QB's throw a little high or low or behind those guys from time to time, ending those long drives....Brady had an incredible night throwing the ball, and it wasn't because their guys were running around in our secondary free all night.

Moss is awesome...Stallworth has always been a top WR who couldn't stay healthy, but now seems to be...Welker is a tough, dependable, quick possession/3rd guy, and they still have two nice TE's.

We have TO....our number two is Crayton....When we bring in Hurd as #3, he can't win a 1/1 battle with anyone....we're going to see much less of Hurd and more of two TE's and two WR's, imo....until Terry Glenn returns. Those who have been so high on Hurd and Austin need a reality check, imo. We need to draft a young guy who can become a frontline starter when TO or Glenn are done, and we should be signing a FA in the off season like Welker to fill a key role.

All of that said, cut down on the penalties, and this game probably still goes down to the wire in the fourth the way it started the 4th.

One thing that has not been mentioned is this: despite Thompson's great KO return late, that freakin' kicker for NE was incredible on KO's...holy cow, he hit it sky high and into the endzone all game long, even after kicking off 6-7 times...it was incredible...what a weapon to control field position.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
wayne motley;1709475 said:
Welker is the ideal 3rd receiver....he's small, but so quick that he can get separation from just about anyone when he's running in motion or set off the line...he gets tackled just about every time, but how do you expect someone to be in his hip pocket batting down the ball when he's in motion or the slot, set off the line? Most QB's throw a little high or low or behind those guys from time to time, ending those long drives....Brady had an incredible night throwing the ball, and it wasn't because their guys were running around in our secondary free all night.

Moss is awesome...Stallworth has always been a top WR who couldn't stay healthy, but now seems to be...Welker is a tough, dependable, quick possession/3rd guy, and they still have two nice TE's.

We have TO....our number two is Crayton....When we bring in Hurd as #3, he can't win a 1/1 battle with anyone....we're going to see much less of Hurd and more of two TE's and two WR's, imo....until Terry Glenn returns. Those who have been so high on Hurd and Austin need a reality check, imo. We need to draft a young guy who can become a frontline starter when TO or Glenn are done, and we should be signing a FA in the off season like Welker to fill a key role.

All of that said, cut down on the penalties, and this game probably still goes down to the wire in the fourth the way it started the 4th.

One thing that has not been mentioned is this: despite Thompson's great KO return late, that freakin' kicker for NE was incredible on KO's...holy cow, he hit it sky high and into the endzone all game long, even after kicking off 6-7 times...it was incredible...what a weapon to control field position.

Reading my mind tonight. Amen.

Our past success of our offensive stats have hidden this fact, although I do add we need to add at least a #2 WR, cause Crayton is a #3.

The Curly One

Reaction score
We were outplayed, out coached and lost. With that said we still could have possibly won the game if it was not for our stupid penalties, same ones we get every week. Flozell false starts, Holding (or tackleing), TO in motion or dropping balls and roughing the passer.
The Cowboys are getting better, we now have the best team we have had since the 90's but we can not afford stupid penalties or dropped passes.
You also have to give credit to the Patriots. They are probably the best team in the league right now and we played them tough. I knew when they picked up Randy Moss in the off season they were doing everything it takes to be number one.