New Jaguar Wiley tries to forget failure with Cowboys

Reaction score
Chump.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/jaguars/2005-08-09-wiley_x.htm

By Skip Wood, USA TODAY
JACKSONVILLE — Marcellus Wiley rubs his hand across his face and then over his head to combat the sweat pouring off him.
clear.gif
2005-08-09-wiley-ins.jpg
clear.gif
Marcellus Wiley, seen here bringing down Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Damon Huard, had only three sacks last season for the Cowboys.
clear.gif
By Tony Gutierrez, AP

"Whew!" the defensive end says a minute or two after a Jacksonville Jaguars morning workout amid stifling heat and humidity. "Why don't we just have a seat right here?"

Then he promptly drops to a casual sitting position right there on the field and gestures for his visitor to do likewise, prompting a few of his new teammates to laugh. Someone yells, "What's that? A picnic?"

Wiley, 30, waves a dismissive hand while returning their laughter.

But when the former Pro Bowler and nine-year veteran begins to discuss the last few seasons, the laughter quickly ceases — especially when revisiting last season's one-and-done stint with the Dallas Cowboys.

Wiley, who came in as the team's highest-paid free agent with a $4.5 million signing bonus, had three sacks. He publicly complained immediately after the season about how he was used and indicated he had no desire to return, and the team soon obliged him by letting him go.

Quite a drop from three years ago, when he was named to his first Pro Bowl after registering a career-high 13 sacks his first season with the San Diego Chargers. He had 10½ the previous season with the Buffalo Bills, and the future looked bright for the Columbia graduate, one of the league's handful of Ivy League players.

But after a solid 2002, when he was named a Pro Bowl alternate, he had three sacks the following season before looking to rebound in a big way with the Cowboys. It didn't happen, and so he accepted a one-year, $790,000 deal from the Jaguars. He has been practicing mostly with the second team for the first time since he backed up Bruce Smith with the Bills in the late 1990s.

Wiley knew it would be this way.

"I have a lot to prove to them, and that's understood," he says. "There are two Marcelluses out there, as they see it. They see the guy who had 23 or 24 sacks in two years and made the Pro Bowl and all that kind of good stuff, and then they see the guy who goes to Dallas and is barely running around and he's not getting out of his stance.

"That's OK. I understand that. I'm just glad I have another chance to earn my way and pave my own path."

Jaguars defensive line coach Ray Hamilton is among the more curious observers.

"He's definitely a proven player, but he's not a guaranteed starter for us, so he's got to show that he can make a contribution," Hamilton told the Associated Press. "But he's still a good player and can do some things that will help us win games. But how it pans out, no one knows."

Wiley believes he never had a chance to show his true talent in Dallas, largely because he was switched from left to right end. When he was frequently taken off the field on third downs, he would silently chafe.

"I just stood there on the sidelines shaking my head. It made me say to myself that football is over. I wasn't feeling good, I didn't like playing under those circumstances and my bank account was good enough that it was saying, 'Hey man, come rest with us.' "

Wiley finally manages another chuckle.

"I didn't do it because I love the game so much," he says. "So that's why I'm here."

He's with a team that's swooning over the acquisition of top-flight right end Reggie Hayward, who joins a line that includes Pro Bowl tackles Marcus Stroud and John Henderson.

"What more," Hayward says, "can you ask for as a defensive end?"

Wiley can answer that.

Redemption.

"I'm finally having fun again, but there's also a lot of hard work I have to do to prove some of those naysayers wrong — actually, all of them."

Wiley then smiles broadly and mentions something else, a post-sack ritual he loved to perform in Buffalo and San Diego but couldn't bring himself to break out during his Dallas funk.

"I'm ready," he says, "to dance again."

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
2005-08-09-wiley-ins.jpg

Notice this picture was from a preseason game.

Eddie

Reaction score
He failled to realize WHY he was pulled on third downs.

Reminds me of the students who blame their teachers for the F grade.

Reaction score
Alexander said:
2005-08-09-wiley-ins.jpg

Notice this picture was from a preseason game.

Was probably during mop up in the 4th qtr, that doesn't look like Trent Green there.

What a useless chump, what the heck was Jerry thinking.

ghst187

Reaction score
I'm sure Jerrah is trying to forget the millions he flushed on Wiley too

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Drederick Tatum said:
Was probably during mop up in the 4th qtr, that doesn't look like Trent Green there.

What a useless chump, what the heck was Jerry thinking.

That's Damon Huard.

I would say he was playing in trashtime.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Wiley then smiles broadly and mentions something else, a post-sack ritual he loved to perform in Buffalo and San Diego but couldn't bring himself to break out during his Dallas funk.

"I'm ready," he says, "to dance again."

I wouldn't be thinking of dancing if I went the first ten games without a single sack, either! Kinda hard to do a sack dance if you have no sacks...

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Dat dude's gonna be second string the rest of his football days... What a schmuck! I watched him close a few times last year and it was like he was running in mud... He was slow as molasses... WTH JJ... Without that disaster of an OL during the CHI game last year he'd probably have just .5 or 1.0 sacks... best of luck elsewhere Dat brick.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Drederick Tatum said:
I've been trying to forget about him also.

With our new friends up front it is much easier!

kapolani

Reaction score
I'm not defending him by any means, but there is some truth to what he's saying.

I don't know how many of you play sports.

I've played my whole life. Football and soccer. High school and college.

When you train your whole life a certain way - and then asked to change what you've been doing - and doing well - it's like learning it all over again.

Remember when Ellis was switched? How about his reservations about playing in the 3-4? It's not that different...

How he had 'some' difficulty...

How about when an offensive lineman is asked to switch from the left to the right?

You come out of your stance differently. Your weight is on your wrong (different) foot. How is it any different than what some of our linemen are going through.

It's like asking a right handed person to throw with their left...

I'm a fan of his. I met him when I lived in San Diego. He's an extremely bright guy and is a pretty good person. I was pulling for him when he was here. I still hope he does well...

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
Wiley needs to expand on this and say he's ready to forget last year in Dallas and his last 2 in San Diego. He had his share of excuses for his lack of production there as well.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Why is he STILL talking about his dismal days and poor performance in Dallas? Can you say bitter? Move on allready! :rolleyes:

kapolani

Reaction score
Kilyin said:
Welcome To Dat Dude's Fan Club Site!

President: kapolani
Vice President: kapolani
Members: kapolani

LOL..

That's funny.

Let me ask you something...

Have you ever played a competetive sport in your life?

If not then you will never understand what I was trying to point out...

Kilyin

Reaction score
You're kind of presumptuous aren't you? I understand what you were trying to point out, I just don't buy into it in this case.

kapolani

Reaction score
Kilyin said:
You're kind of presumptuous aren't you? I understand what you were trying to point out, I just don't buy into it in this case.

I'm not presuming anything...

I was merely responding to your rather childish post about my comments.

Go outside right now and try and toss a football with your offhand through a tire 10 yards away... Or better yet shoot some free throws with your offhand...

Please enlighten me on your sports backround...

University of Hawaii football: #18 92-94
University of Hawaii soccer: #10 91-93

Kilyin

Reaction score
Go outside right now and try and toss a football with your offhand through a tire 10 yards away... Or better yet shoot some free throws with your offhand...

No thanks, but I might suggest you schedule a proctologist appointment to remove the stick from your rear.

If Wiley hadnt been a total liability in stopping the run, he wouldnt have been moved. He was invisible at every position. Your whole spiel is completely irrelevant.