New Louis CK special is out

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I actually prefer Dennis Miller, when talking about cerebral humorists. I openly admit that some of his references are too so obscure, I sometimes don't fully understand them, but I doubt anyone gets every one of them.

Carlin has good jokes, but I'm not crazy about the emoting, the faces, or the voices. If he were to do that less frequently I'd appreciate him more. It's the same way I feel about Jim Carrey, Will Ferrell, and Adam Sandler: Small doses.
Dennis Miller is another highly intelligent comedian, but that's the main difference between them and why George Carlin was so much more popular than Dennis Miller. George helped his audience understand his jokes. Dennis Miller didn't always do that. That's why people usually loved or hated Dennis Miller. If they couldn't understand him, they hated him. If they could. They generally liked him.

I was actually kind of split on my opinions of Dennis Miller. He was funny, don't get me wrong. He was also kind of an asshat. When he joined Monday Night Football, I knew immediately that was going to fail. The audience in football goes from highly intelligent to a completely lack of intelligence. Given the average IQ is 100 and to really understand Dennis Miller, 100 IQ was not going to cut it. That means that over half of the Monday Night Football watchers weren't going to be able to connect with Dennis Miller and he would fail.

Again, that is the difference between Carlin and Miller. Carlin helped his audience understand and Miller just laughed at those who didn't. Basically, he was a snobby bleeping ****. He was smarter than most people and he knew it and would flaunt it. That's pretty much why I wasn't a huge Dennis Miller fan, but respected his skill at his trade.