New roof installation gone weird

Flamma

Reaction score
For anyone that got a new roof, is it common that the roofers show up and start working without a word to the homeowner? I knew what day they were coming, so that wasn't an issue. But they didn't even bother knocking on the door or anything to let us know they were there or starting. I just found that odd. After about 6 hours they just left.

Then there was an issue. I contacted them and they said they would take care of it. They showed up on some random day, no warning, climbed up and started working again. Fixed it in about an hour and left. Not a single word was spoken to me.

Not too long ago I saw a case where roofers removed the roof on the wrong house. Now I know why.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
For anyone that got a new roof, is it common that the roofers show up and start working without a word to the homeowner? I knew what day they were coming, so that wasn't an issue. But they didn't even bother knocking on the door or anything to let us know they were there or starting. I just found that odd. After about 6 hours they just left.

Then there was an issue. I contacted them and they said they would take care of it. They showed up on some random day, no warning, climbed up and started working again. Fixed it in about an hour and left. Not a single word was spoken to me.

Not too long ago I saw a case where roofers removed the roof on the wrong house. Now I know why.
They're probably used to people not being home when they're working, so either they don't bother checking, or just don't care.

Flamma

Reaction score
They're probably used to people not being home when they're working, so either they don't bother checking, or just don't care.
If no one is home, that's fine. But if you show up at a job site, wouldn't it be wise to ring the bell and say, hey, we're the roofers, we're about to start? When the guy came to put the steel fence around my house, they rang the doorbell to let us know they were there.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If no one is home, that's fine. But if you show up at a job site, wouldn't it be wise to ring the bell and say, hey, we're the roofers, we're about to start? When the guy came to put the steel fence around my house, they rang the doorbell to let us know they were there.
I agree, but they probably figure the date was set, so just get on with it. Same thing happened when they took the big oaks down in front of my house.

Creeper

Reaction score
A few years ago I had a landscaper build a rock wall in the back corner of my property. We communicated by email and the same thing happened. They showed up one day and build the wall..over my property line! My neighbor rightfully complained so I called to have them move it back onto my property and again, they showed up one day and move the wall without saying anything. The new wall was just slightly over my property line and my neighbor complained again. At this point is was just a few inches so he said not to bother fixing it again, but that the heck!

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree, but they probably figure the date was set, so just get on with it. Same thing happened when they took the big oaks down in front of my house.
Ok, but those are big oaks. When concerning a roof, what if you're at the wrong house? It's happened before. When I heard about it I couldn't understand how it happened. But now I do. The house insurance refused to cover it. The roofers insurance refused to cover it. It ends up a big mess and the roofers have to pay it out of pocket.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
The roofers got an order, note, or message, "new roof at this address". Their boss communicates with them, they go, and you are an annoyance that they might have to have minor communication with

You can thank smart phones and computers for this

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The roofers got an order, note, or message, "new roof at this address". Their boss communicates with them, they go, and you are an annoyance that they might have to have minor communication with

You can thank smart phones and computers for this
That’s exactly it. Not to mention the interaction with the owner the less potential for there to be a change order in the field, or something the worker has no decision power to make.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ok, but those are big oaks. When concerning a roof, what if you're at the wrong house? It's happened before. When I heard about it I couldn't understand how it happened. But now I do. The house insurance refused to cover it. The roofers insurance refused to cover it. It ends up a big mess and the roofers have to pay it out of pocket.
Nobody came out to give you a quote before taking the job?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Might be odd but in some ways it might be a good thing.
Get there, get it done, do not bother you.

On the other hand if you have dogs it would be nice to know when they were there so you did not let the dogs out and the dogs get out of the yard due to an open gate or scare one of the workers.

You said you knew they were scheduled for a specific date, it would have been nice if they would have just called that morning before showing up to remind you or confirm it, even if that means allowing you time to move a car out of the garage or driveway so they are not blocking you in

rags747

Reaction score
The guy cuts your lawn weekly, I doubt he comes in to discuss the height of his deck and how he sharpens his blades Prior to arriving at your house. Evidently it is a thing because I see many complain about it here in Fla too. Tile, metal or asphalt? I currently have tile, Fla insurance starts pushing for you to replace your roof at approx the 17/18 year mark. My tile should be good for at least 40 years but they do not care. New tile roof will cost me approx $70k, I may go the asphalt route which should be less than half. We shall see…

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Usually people are home when they show up because they want to get 6-8 hours in before it's too late in the afternoon. Shingles in the summer in direct sun will make a roof feel so hot it's dangerous to do anything after a certain time of day. As soon as they can start hammering, they usually do and it's generally before people leave to work for a typical 9-to-5

Flamma

Reaction score
Usually people are home when they show up because they want to get 6-8 hours in before it's too late in the afternoon. Shingles in the summer in direct sun will make a roof feel so hot it's dangerous to do anything after a certain time of day. As soon as they can start hammering, they usually do and it's generally before people leave to work for a typical 9-to-5
That definitely makes sense. They put that roof in on one of the worst air quality days. Remember when that cloud came over the northeast due to Canadian wildfires? They were up there banging away.

John813

Reaction score
I'm not surprised. They do that around here too. Sure the workers are told to start at X time and get going.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I had mine replaced in 2017 and that's what they did as well. Most of these roofers don't speak English though and are just part of a work crew who receive an address and hit it. I was impressed not only with how quickly they worked but their methods in dealing with Texas heat on a roof. They'd all have big chunks of foam to protect their knees, wore wet bandanas around their mouth and necks, and would only take lunch outside so that their bodies didn't adjust to the cooler conditions. Most of them are storm chasers who travel the country following hail and weather damage. I didn't know they were there until I heard someone on my roof. I personally had no issues with it but my dog sure wanted a word with them.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I get both sides of it. It's nice to know when the workers will be there, but on the other side of it, I get that they just want to get in and get the job done so they can move on to the next one. Especially if you live in an area that is growing. My buddy just built a new house and I went over there to help him run some comm wire before the sheetrock went up, and I happened to start chatting with the GC of the construction company. He was telling me, because the Boise area is growing at such a fast pace, that they can't keep up and are having to ship in roofers from other areas. Might be that the company you hired has a stacked workload and they don't want to dilly-dally around and just get the job done.

Praxit

Reaction score

..communication is not an aptitude today.