New Special Teams Coach

quickccc

Reaction score
Not impressed either.

Struggled all night.

how do you grade out the special teams as a whole and overall for the year ?

return game ? (Austin, pollard)
how has the coverage teams been overall ?
Kicker? Punter ?
onside recovery team ?

until the special teams actually cost us a couple of games and continue to have horrible instances, I don't think the SP coach Keith O' Quinn is going anywhere.
in fact, i'll bet Quinn is getting credit for kicker Brett Maher and his 50-60 yard kicks.
Which is probably the key reason why Maher is still on the team- as I believe they really see him as a rare scoring weapon.

the Cowboys brass will simply supply O' Quinn with more quality coverage team guys (ala Verdell Bryant) re-sign Maher, Jones,
and find more return men once Tavon moves on in FA.

simplycowboys210

Reaction score
When will we get one? Horrible game for the ST.
I was just thinking the same thing when I woke up, while I was watching I did not understand why we kicked it to the guy 3 times in a row, and let him run it to the 50 yard line. Like new York was avg starting at the 45 while we were at the 20. It was super annoying and a simple "kick it out the end zone" would be a fix.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Only because the Giants are terrible. We played horribly and we had two weeks to prepare for this game. Had we played against a competent team we'd have taken an L last night.

This coaching staff basically needs to be purged. There's no one I think we absolutely must keep.
Joke's on you. Dallas doesn't do anything to prepare for teams.

blueblood70

Reaction score
guys it was very cold, makes the ball heavy and outdoor has winds, both kickers were having issues with short kicks..yes coverage was poor, they need to fix that.. special teams have not been special in some time..

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Just kick the damn ball through the back of the end zone. Every. Time. Maher has the leg right?
I kept thinking the same thing during the game. He has pretty consistently had touchbacks up until last night. I wondered if the short kicks were by design, or the cool temps affected the ball (although NYG's kicker didn't have a problem reaching the end zone most of the time).

Last edited:

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Whatever you want to say about the Giants, they’ve got some decent pieces on offense. And like I said, we won by three scores in a league built on parity and with plenty of room for improvement. If you can’t just enjoy the wins a little bit, and the third straight sweep of a division rival, what’s the point?
Because seeing the big picture makes you aware of the issues that will resurface. Nobody is saying wexarent happy with the win but things need fixing or it will bite thus team in the backside

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
For a unit that usually has such a small impact on games, the kickoff teams sure struggled last night. The Giants pop-kick to Pollard on the first play of the night worked perfectly and pinned us at the 15. Like another poster said, what Pollard had to do was catch the ball with one foot on the sideline so that we'd then get the ball at the 40. Hoping that was a rookie mistake he'll learn from, but it cost us over 2 first downs' worth of field position. And the coverage unit... sheesh. Letting the Giants out to the 50 twice was terrible, and it looked like it was down the same lane too.

It was still a 3 score win, so I'm not going to go full haterade mode like some are, but that unit was definitely sloppy.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because seeing the big picture makes you aware of the issues that will resurface. Nobody is saying wexarent happy with the win but things need fixing or it will bite thus team in the backside

Yep. Welcome to the NFL.

We’re 4-0 in division and leading the lead after a three score road division win, and the front page of the forum is mostly doom and gloom threads. I’m explicitly saying we’re not happy with the win when we really should be.