New Video of Roy's hit on Coles with a new angle...

calico

Reaction score
New hit

I caught this on FSW a mins ago and loaded it up. I use some slow motion later in the vid to show the impact.

This vid clearly shows that he leads with his shoulder.

A vicious hit? Yes

Worth a fine? No

Ken

Reaction score
Wow.

Good job calico.

That is clear as day that he lead with his shoulder.

Encore

Never Enough
Reaction score
Thanks.

When you slowed it down.. you can tell that his helmet hit the facemask of Coles.

p1_

Reaction score
Encore said:
Thanks.

When you slowed it down.. you can tell that his helmet hit the facemask of Coles.

it looked like he lead with his head to me as well, upon further review.

Also, I must say, I liked the hit he put on TNew as he celebrated. Sweet!

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if he led with his shoulder or not. Hit helmet made contact with Coles' helmet. Since Coles is considered a "defenseless player" in that situation (he had not yet landed with both feet on the ground), ANY helmet-to-helmet contact is illegal, whether it's intentional or not. The same thing happened to Darren Woodson when he almost killed Darrell Jackson. He hit him IN the shoulder WITH his shoulder, but since their helmets met, it's illegal.

Note that the rule is much different when it's not a "defenseless player," such as on the Gardner hit. In that case, simple helmet-to-helmet contact is not illegal. It's only illegal if the player uses his helmet (such as the crown or facemask) to "spear, butt or ram" the opponent, which Roy did not do. He used his shoulder to deliver the blow, and the side of his helmet merely made incidental contact with Gardner's helmet. If Gardner hadn't already landed on the ground with both feet and taken almost another full step, thus making him no longer defenseless, Roy might have been fined for that hit, too. But since Gardner wasn't defenseless, it was perfectly legal.

Encore

Never Enough
Reaction score
p1_ said:
it looked like he lead with his head to me as well, upon further review.

Also, I must say, I liked the hit he put on TNew as he celebrated. Sweet!

It's a good thing that Roy can't be fined on Helmet-To-Helmet hits on his own teammates. The helemt-to-helmet hit on Newman would've cost $5,000 easy.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
at the point of contact roy's helmet is at chest level. a bad job by the league office "tape worms".

Falcon

Reaction score
With all the bad press over the PI call I am sure they felt they had to do something against the Cowboys. Too bad the national media is so biased not to mention all the bad calls against the boys not to mention TO's phantom catch the prev week. Hey bad calls happen.

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
Encore said:
Thanks.

Yep...It didn't look as thought he led with his helmet to me, but there was contact between the helmet and facemask.

Rude

Reaction score
Great job Calico with the video

I dont think he should have been fined, you can see in the video the helmet to helmet was a complete accident, stuff like this happens all the time in football, no need to fine a player for an accident that happens a lot in the NFL.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
at the point of contact roy's helmet is at chest level. a bad job by the league office "tape worms".

Coles' facemask comes down and hits the top of Roy's helmet.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Rude said:
I dont think he should have been fined, you can see in the video the helmet to helmet was a complete accident

It doesn't matter whether it was intentional or not when it's a defenseless player.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
It doesn't matter whether it was intentional or not when it's a defenseless player.

Adam the fine was bull hockey no matter how the NFL tries to cut it

This is the best sports league but it soon will be a crapy league if they keep this Bull hockey up

That hit should not be a fine period. It is bad enough that the QB's are wearing yellow pratice jersey in the games now days with all the new rules.

Somethings are just stupid and the fine on this hit was stupid.

Nerm

Reaction score
I'm not really bothered by this. I think the NFL has gone overboard with the rules and fines against defensive players. I don't condone cheap shots, but this is too much. Guys like Ronnie Lott and LT would have had to get side jobs to pay off all the fines they would have gotten if these rules were in place in the 80's. They were not dirty players either.

I just hope Roy keeps playing his game. It works and he isn't playing dirty.

On a side note, I love reading 10 page threads on Skin's message boards about how Roy is too mean to them. Last year they were upset about Roy "putting a suplex" on Ramsey. Of course I think he knocked three of their players out of that game LOL! This year they seem to think he was too mean to their WR's. I just hope I'm reading more threads about how mean he is after the Skins come to Dallas this year.

Rude

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

I know that, but so Roy is supposed to wait until the player has caught the ball and planted his feet and then run before he makes a hit on a player? The rules in the NFL are just getting ridiculous.

chicago JK

Reaction score
Nerm said:
I'm not really bothered by this. I think the NFL has gone overboard with the rules and fines against defensive players. I don't condone cheap shots, but this is too much. Guys like Ronnie Lott and LT would have had to get side jobs to pay off all the fines they would have gotten if these rules were in place in the 80's. They were not dirty players either.

On a side note, I love reading 10 page threads on Skin's message boards about how Roy is too mean to them. Last year they were upset about Roy "putting a suplex" on Ramsey. Of course I think he knocked three of their players out of that game LOL! This year they seem to think he was too mean to their WR's. I just hope I'm reading more threads about how mean he is after the Skins come to Dallas this year.
Yeah it is pretty funny. After reading a few threads I feel like I am watching JFK with Kevin Costner.

calico

Reaction score
chicago JK said:
Yeah it is pretty funny. After reading a few threads I feel like I am watching JFK with Kevin Costner.

"back...and to the left."

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Rude said:
I know that, but so Roy is supposed to wait until the player has caught the ball and planted his feet and then run before he makes a hit on a player? The rules in the NFL are just getting ridiculous.

I don't agree with this rule, either, but that's what it is.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nerm said:

It's not surprising the fines on defensive players when you consider the guy handing out the fines used to be a WR (for the 49'ers no less). There should be some defensive players on the penalty board (or whatever it is) to balance things out.