Newman as a Punt Returner?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze said:
Exactly, I would have to say the running back position is by far the most injury prone position.

Id have to say oline...there is never a team that goes a whole season w/out at least one or two guys missing games.

Trip

Reaction score
I agree with your opinion that Newman should be returning punts.

Your topic reminded me of a thread I started last year when Parcells announced Peerless Price as his punt returner.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38573

I got roasted for it a little bit but predictably Price sucked as a punt returner.

Anyway, my point to posting this was to say that somewhere in that thread, I posted a link to a study that shows the players defending punts and kicks - like Roy Williams does with the Cowboys - are much more likely to get hurt than the return guys. So I agree with your opinion that returners aren't very likely to get hurt.

Some folks just cringe when they see TNew back there returning punts but think nothing of it when Roy Williams or some other valuable starter covers them.

Trip

Reaction score
By the way, Nors promised in that thread that Peerless Price was going to "shock Cowboys nation" returning punts.

I've had a really busy summer and haven't been around much, where is 'ol Nors? Banned for some slanderous comment?

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
you don't risk a top 2 or 3 cb in the league on return duties, its not smart business

Hiero

Reaction score
its not worth the risk imo. id much rather see a guy like rector or someone like that doing PR's. the difference probably wont be that much. maybe newman in very rare situations

DLCassidy

Reaction score
I think it will be Rector. He was an excellent returner in college. We will probably use Newman when we need a big play to get back in a game but I'd rather not add to his load.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Trip said:
By the way, Nors promised in that thread that Peerless Price was going to "shock Cowboys nation" returning punts.

I've had a really busy summer and haven't been around much, where is 'ol Nors? Banned for some slanderous comment?

Nors also promised that Romo would beat out Henson and could challenge for the starting spot. There are some here who already want to see that happen. I don't like Nors and never did. But even though it's unpopular to say so around here, he was right a lot of the time.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
LeonDixson said:
I agree with you Wayne, if Newman is clearly the best we got; put him back there. However, if the difference between him and Rector is small, I would rather risk Rector even if the risk is small.
Oh I agree 100%...if Rector can do the job...I certainly like Rector's quicks and ability to make people miss...when returning punts, you have to make the first guy miss yourself, maybe the 2nd guy too...then you have something.

Guys were so afraid of Deon that they broke down too soon and gave him room...and he'd just run away from them before finding a seam.

Big D

Reaction score
stealth said:
you don't risk a top 2 or 3 cb in the league on return duties, its not smart business

Please. Neon Deion did for years. If your good, your good.

Put TNew back as PR now!!!

:starspin

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Yeah, I have to agree, put him back there. I can't agree about Newman being top 2 or 3 in the league.