Newman best years are behind him

sportsman

Reaction score
The groin injury will be with him most of the year. So once again he will not be a real contributor to the team this year.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2306401 said:
Please. Against Washington, Newman allowed ONE catch that was thrown more than 4 yards downfield (also the first deep pass he has allowed since at least 2006). Reeves routinely allowed medium-length or deep catches. If he mostly allowed short catches and only an occasional long one (or had more than that one interception last season), he would have been a much better player. But there's a reason Football Outsiders called Reeves "The Human Target" and why they consider Newman one of the top cornerbacks in the league. One single, solitary long pass allowed doesn't change that.

Facts appear to be unwanted Adam esp when they run afoul of an agenda or one of its poorly derived cousins.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
jr40usa;2306370 said:
How ever you may fill about Newman his best years are behind him. He will never be looked at as one of the Cowboys top corners. The shut down corner that we drafted never really materialized. You can blame injuries or whatever. Jerry payed him superstar money, but so far hasn't gotten that over his career.
Newman has allowed one 1 (count them...ONE!) Touchdown against him in the last three years...just how the hell is that NOT a shutdown corner?

He does not get a lot of INT's admittedly but NO ONE beats him for the score...that IS Shutdown!

Boysboy

Reaction score
JackMagist;2306541 said:
Newman has allowed one 1 (count them...ONE!) Touchdown against him in the last three years...just how the hell is that NOT a shutdown corner?

He does not get a lot of INT's admittedly but NO ONE beats him for the score...that IS Shutdown!

Even though QB was obviously on Cincy's radar in the '03 draft, Marvin Lewis nonetheless WAS eyeing Terrence Newman.

Like I said-my only gripe about the Newman pick was his age(25) coming out. Anyone who's making all these "He's not all that great", "Why is he always injury prone?" complaints about him are nothing but blind-homers.

ddh33

Reaction score
I wish I was surprised by all this, but I'm not. So many fans need a scapegoat...

Newman is one of the best corners in the league. It's really that simple. AdamJT has given you stats. Some of us have eyes too...

Yep, he had a bad quarter when a couple of things went wrong for him, and I think that proves - more than anything - just how good Newman has been. I mean, honestly, aren't you guys pretty surprised when Newman gives up anything significant?

Thanos68

Benched
Reaction score
stealth;2306393 said:
did you really just make that comparison?

I wouldn't say he is incorrect that Newman is playing like pure garbage right now. Much like Reeves. However I have to give him a pass right now due to his groin injury and us having no idea how much it is hampering his play.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Thanos68;2306681 said:
I wouldn't say he is incorrect that Newman is playing like pure garbage right now. Much like Reeves. However I have to give him a pass right now due to his groin injury and us having no idea how much it is hampering his play.

That is exactly what I am saying. This year he is playing like crap.......no better than Reeves played last year. For a high priced, shut down Pro Bowl corner, he is playing terrible. Blame whatever you want to blame, whether it be injuries or other players, he is not playing at a Pro Bowl, shut down, corner level. It seems that he is content with giving up the catch and making the tackle. A true shut down corner will not only take care of his man, but is also a playmaker.

Hopefully Newman will turn it around soon.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
JackMagist;2306541 said:

The irony is, he gave that TD up to Mike Williams.

Powerdad23

Reaction score
Newman was an exceptioal Def Back at KSU..but he payed zone defense 90% of the time. Mainly because the other corner didn't have sufficient cover skills. Newman never has been a shut down corner. His tackeling skills are suspect. I suspect his 40 speed has dwindled to the point of retirement, but probably the reason Dallas doesn't play more man to man is that their ENTIRE secondary lacks the speed to stay with 4.3 and 4.4 receivers. Remember, with these NFL QB's today, it only takes a few "Feet" in separation to complete passes. And the difference between a 4.3 wideout and Newmans 4.5 or 4.6 is "Several" feet. So I agree. Wade's not playing man coverage because he doesn't have the individual speed in his secondary.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Newmqn has not played well for a while. He is living off of reputation right now. He is high maintenance, injured fairly often and may not play this week vs. Cinci. He just came off of the worst game he has ever played vs Wash and now gets injured in practice. He got his $50 mil just in time. After this year, people are going to understand he just ain't that good.

High maintenance and low production. Not a good combo.

I wish it weren't true, but it is looking like Newman is avg at best.

Good thing Pac, Jenkins, and Scandrick are available.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
superpunk;2306755 said:
That's not a world I want to live in.

The post above your's says Newman has 4.5 or 4.6 speed.

You think he can cover Stanback?

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
There needs to be a football IQ before being allowed to make threads. Newman is one of the best corners in the league.

MCowboys

Reaction score
ninja;2306765 said:
Good thing Pac, Jenkins, and Scandrick are available.

If Newman is average, what are they? Pacman has looked worse, not better than Newman. I like Jenkins and Scandrick, but they have to prove something first.

Torn_ACL

Reaction score
Newman is vastly overrated. He was the one player I didn't want us to resign.

He looked absolutely silly against Washington.

Oh yeah, and he's old.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
I am confused why this troll thread didn't take off better than it did, is it because the premise is so ridiculous?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
stealth;2306802 said:
I am confused why this troll thread didn't take off better than it did, is it because the premise is so ridiculous?

We need a bold statement zone so when these idiots are wrong they can get raked over the coals with it.

If they are wrong than nobody remembers this stupid thread and they go back to their holes.