Newman health concerns

odog422

Reaction score
dbair1967;2165928 said:
"nagging, lingering injury"

this guy just cant win with you people, almost like Jones...his 2nd yr in the league I saw post after post after post of "he's a bust!!! see!!! should have drafted Leftiwch!!!" only to find out after the season that he played the entire season with a knee injury, for the sake of the team because we were in horrible shape at CB...last yr he had a serious injury, missed 3 games for the first time in his career and then played with said injury all yr (again, for the sake of the team) and he gets criticized again...

if he had just missed a bunch of games, everyone would say he "cant suck it up and play with pain"

this guy is a tremendous football player, he gives everything he has every week, works his arse off, is a model citizen and plays hurt...give him a break

David

Why so hyped? And where am I knocking him in my post? Relax.

Somehow you interpret my comment as criticism when it's not at all.

Give him a break? What are you talking about?

The point of my post was that it would be nice to have him for the whole season without some sort of injury that inhibited or affected his play. That statement is as much about wanting it for him, because he's one of the guys you pull for - good teammate, dedicated, etc. - as for the team.

And if you choose to take my comment about injuries impacting his play as criticism, that's on you. It's just a fact. Who plays to their full capabilities when injured? You can't.

I'd just like to have him healthy. Period.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
jr40usa;2165776 said:
I am a big fan of Newman, but becoming a bit concerned of his continued history of nagging injuries. Believe me , the groin injury will be a problem long into the season.

A continued history of nagging injuries?

Having plantar fasciitis and a groing tear/pull/strain/whatever isn't a real continued history of injuries.

Anyway, the key is whether or not this groin injury causes an abdominal tear. You do not want that. That's what happened to Henry and why Newman is saying that they are resting him, because there's a bigger concern of compounding the problem.

And last year with the foot injury he came back and played very well. So as long as the problem doesn't compound, I'm not worried about his play when he comes back.

YAKUZA

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
odog422;2166043 said:
Why so hyped? And where am I knocking him in my post? Relax.

Somehow you interpret my comment as criticism when it's not at all.

Give him a break? What are you talking about?

The point of my post was that it would be nice to have him for the whole season without some sort of injury that inhibited or affected his play. That statement is as much about wanting it for him, because he's one of the guys you pull for - good team mate, dedicated, etc. - as for the team.

And if you choose to take my comment about injuries impacting his play as criticism, that's on you. It's just a fact. Who plays to their full capabilities when injured? You can't.

I'd just like to have him healthy. Period.
Players play hurt in the NFL all the time.

Unless it's been misdiagnosed, there's no reason he shouldn't be close to 100% by week 1.

odog422

Reaction score
PullMyFinger;2166024 said:
So what? Id take an 80% Newman over most of the DB's in the league.

Ok. But I'm not comparing, rating or criticizing his play. I'm simply saying I'd like to have him without his having to deal with some sort of injury that prevents him from being close to 100%. For him as well as the team.

And it's frustrating because he's one of the guys who seems to do everything right, yet seemingly has to deal with some sort of issue like this regularly.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
DallasDW00ds0n;2165790 said:
its frustrating bc it is always something with Newman.

Explain please

Out of the 80 regular season games he has had the opportunity to play in during his 5 year career...... he has missed 3 with injury.

How is that "always something"?

odog422

Reaction score
Double Trouble;2166048 said:
Players play hurt in the NFL all the time.

Unless it's been misdiagnosed, there's no reason he shouldn't be close to 100% by week 1.

I know. I've heard it said that by midseason no one is healthy.

Hopefully he is healthy by week 1. But a groin injury on a CB is one of those injuries that seem to be more susceptible to re-injury, or not fully healing. I really do hope they watch him closely because I have no doubt he would push it to return.

bootsy

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2166025 said:
I'm not concerned with Newman, this is a minor injury and he will over come it. My God some of you are the biggest worry warts I have ever seen. This is football, players get nicked up this is not a big problem for the Cowboys right now and with it happening this eary in the process I don't think it will be a problem as we get into the season.
Thanks for saying what I have been wanting to say regarding this Newman injury. Too many worry warts and negative nancy's about this and about who our number 2 WR and on and on.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
bootsy;2166066 said:
Thanks for saying what I have been wanting to say regarding this Newman injury. Too many worry warts and negative nancy's about this and about who our number 2 WR and on and on.

These are fairly common injuries and with some rest which the Cowboys will give Newman he should be ready to go when we hit the season. The fact that it has happened now instead of late in camp is a good break for us and Newman

odog422

Reaction score
zrinkill;2166054 said:
I would like for the person that said "its always something" with Newman to explain how until last year he was never hurt.

Out of the 80 regular season games he has had the opportunity to play in ...... he has missed 3 with injury.

Please answer that.

I think his point is that while he may not have missed many games, unfortunately, he has often been having to play through something. Last year was the foot, the year before was his knee, etc. Hopefully, this groin deal won't be a similar issue this year.

Personally, even though I feel the same, I wasn't criticizing him in my posts or knocking him in any fashion, although most of the responses here carry that kind of flavor.

My point was that it would be nice to have him not having to deal with something that you know impacts his performance. I want it for him, because I like the player he is, as much for the team.

As someone else mentioned, it is fortunate it occurred now as opposed to close to the beginning of the year.