Twitter: Next gen stats - Zeke was slower in 2017

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Well then you're expectations aren't realistic.

I wish he had a QB worth a crap to back defenses off the line of scrimmage.
Why? It’s 5.1 yards per carry like he averaged in 2016. Are you claiming he over performed in 2016 and 2017 is the real Zeke from here on out?

Morris played with the same QB, faced more 8 man fronts, and played 3 games without Tyron. He played well.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why? It’s 5.1 yards per carry like he averaged in 2016. Are you claiming he over performed in 2016 and 2017 is the real Zeke from here on out?

I'm claiming I understand football. Which is why I never believed for a second during the 2016 season that Dak Prescott was a quality QB. Once teams figured him out and saw how limited he is, defenses were much more nosey at the line of scrimmage this year. They knew the QB in Dallas couldn't beat you. He doesn't have talent.

There are several factors for the lower rushing average, the OL play dipped, Tyron's missed time, the distraction of the #HerTruth scandal, but no factor was bigger than the giant void behind center in Dallas.

Worrying about a player who almost definitely was going to win another rushing title seems silly to me. Like of all the things to worry about, this is your focus? You are truly clueless if it is. He is our offense and the only possible way this team can compete for anything this year is on his back.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Worrying about a player who almost definitely was going to win another rushing title seems silly to me. Like of all the things to worry about, this is your focus? You are truly clueless if it is. He is our offense and the only possible way this team can compete for anything this year is on his back.
Nice Strawman

people can see and say that Zeke put on a few pounds without making it the focus of the team or even worrying about it.....in fact he corrected it himself last year during the suspension

Doesn't mean it didn't happen or can't be discussed

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I'm claiming I understand football. Which is why I never believed for a second during the 2016 season that Dak Prescott was a quality QB. Once teams figured him out and saw how limited he is, defenses were much more nosey at the line of scrimmage this year. They knew the QB in Dallas couldn't beat you. He doesn't have talent.

There are several factors for the lower rushing average, the OL play dipped, Tyron's missed time, the distraction of the #HerTruth scandal, but no factor was bigger than the giant void behind center in Dallas.

Wouldn’t be a conversation on the zone without panties getting twisted and stupid accusations getting tossed around.

I have a lot of opinions on a lot of topics. None are particularly my “focus”. My “focus” is on the Cowboys in their entirety in which Zeke is a part of.

His 2017 was off and it wasnt just because Dak Prescott sucks. It isn’t just because teams were stacking the box. And it isn’t just because the oline didn’t play as well. Zeke, too, didn’t play as well as he did.

I am not “worried” about Zeke. I just want him to get back on track. Just like I am not “worried” about Dan Bailey, I just want him to make his field goals next year.

Why do most people on this board have to be so damn combative in almost every difference of opinion?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wouldn’t be a conversation on the zone without panties getting twisted and stupid accusations getting tossed around.

I have a lot of opinions on a lot of topics. None are particularly my “focus”. My “focus” is on the Cowboys in their entirety in which Zeke is a part of.

His 2017 was off and it was want just because Dak Prescott sucks. It isn’t just because teams were stacking the box. And it isn’t just because the oline didn’t play as well. Zeke, too, didn’t play as well as he did.

I am not “worried” about Zeke. I just want him to get back on track. Just like I am not “worried” about Dan Bailey .
Why do most people on this board have to be so damn combative in almost every difference of opinion?

It wouldn't be a discussion here without some homer fan bringing up underwear when they know they can't win a debate.

The "focus' is about the dude on twitter.

If his 2017 was "off" then his "off" is would be NFL rushing champion if not for a suspension. That's some kind of "off".

I think I'll worry about the players whose off years consist of something other than most productive at their position. That's all I'm saying.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
The "focus' is about the dude on twitter.

If his 2017 was "off" then his "off" is would be NFL rushing champion if not for a suspension. That's some kind of "off".

I think I'll worry about the players whose off years consist of something other than most productive at their position. That's all I'm saying.

Things are relative. If Zeke blew his knee out in training camp and we fed the ball to Morris a bunch of times then he can lead the league in rushing too.

You see the overall result and think it is good and it is. But I thought Zeke was special or at least supposed to be. He was in 2016. He wasn’t in 2017.

Gameover

Reaction score
Captainsaveazeke

He wasn’t as good this year. Face facts

In Zeke’s defense, he didn’t see as many of these in 2017:
DAOdJtMW0AA-GLX

Kinda got exposed w/o the mile wides

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Things are relative. If Zeke blew his knee out in training camp and we fed the ball to Morris a bunch of times then he can lead the league in rushing too.

You see the overall result and think it is good and it is. But I thought Zeke was special or at least supposed to be. He was in 2016. He wasn’t in 2017.

Except Morris wouldn't lead the league in rushing. So other than that you make a good point.

Yes. There's nothing special whatsoever about a RB on pace for his 2nd rushing title in his first two years in the league with a QB who can't throw and an OL that struggled his 2nd year. This is routine stuff. Happens all the time.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Except Morris wouldn't lead the league in rushing. So other than that you make a good point.

Yes. There's nothing special whatsoever about a RB on pace for his 2nd rushing title in his first two years in the league with a QB who can't throw and an OL that struggled his 2nd year.

Why wouldn’t he? Just keep feeding him the ball.
DMC could have led the league in 2015 if he started the whole year and we fed him the ball. He still had 1k with much worse QB play than Dak. At that point it is just an exercise of getting your rushing attempts up high enough.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Feel free to discuss. I think there are several reasons for this : off season issues, trouble with the league etc. stress weighs on people

I agree. He was fatter. Like the rest of the Cowboys and is par for the course under Garrett and any regime under Jones......after a good season they get high on cocky wagon and think they have arrived. Even young players like Dak and Zeke have had this issue. Where is the head coach in all of this? Clapping and patting fannies.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Yes. There's nothing special whatsoever about a RB on pace for his 2nd rushing title in his first two years in the league with a QB who can't throw and an OL that struggled his 2nd year. This is routine stuff. Happens all the time.

Morris did lead the league in rushing I believe his rookie year. FYI

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Morris did lead the league in rushing I believe his rookie year. FYI
He was 2nd. That’s the year Peterson went off for 2k. Ironically AD did that with a horrible QB..something that apparently is hindering our generational type RB.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He was 2nd. That’s the year Peterson went off for 2k. Ironically AD did that with a horrible QB..something that apparently is hindering our generational type RB.

Zeke was balling the first 24 games of his career before he got suspended. For the most part. He got cocky and it showed. Oline took a dip.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
"Out of shape" Zeke was headed toward 1,600 plus yards and another rushing title before #HerTruth sat him down for a month and a half.

All the bullcrap that went with the lies a woman told, all the distraction and that was the pace he was at before the suspension. And he was getting better every game.

On the laundry list of worries with this team, Zeke Elliott is about last on the list.

So yeah, Joshy....he who thinks he knows something....Dallas "better hope" that doesn't happen again or we're liable to have another rushing champion.
:clap::hammer::clap:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Adrian Peterson came off a major knee injury, had Christian Ponder for a QB, averaged 6 ypc on his way to 2k yards.

Zeke goes from 5.1 ypc in 2016 to 4.1 ypc in 2017 because his QB sucks? We drafted him #4 because he was supposed to be a generational type of talent. If we are to believe his defenders, he really isn’t generational, he needs a a great line, great QB, top WR drawing coverage, HoF tight end and he really can’t “carry a team”. Basically, the same criticism as Dak.

Too bad it is too late to get Ramsey. Didn’t need a 4th overall pick to give us 4.1 ypc. Joseph Randle was even able to do that with Weeden and without Dez .

Last edited:

aria

Reaction score

In 2016, Dallas lead the league in rushing attempts. Couple that with arguably the best O line in football and a lot of running backs would have led the league. I’m not saying he’s not very good but to act like he did it by himself and no other running back would have had similar success is ridiculous.

Oh yeah, that horrible QB you hate also got rookie of the year over your boy.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
In 2016, Dallas lead the league in rushing attempts. Couple that with arguably the best O line in football and a lot of running backs would have led the league. I’m not saying he’s not very good but to act like he did it by himself and no other running back would have had similar success is ridiculous.

It really baffles me the refusal to just admit Zeke had an off year. Here are our RB averages since 2010 with a minimum of 100 attempts. There are only 2 RB's that averaged fewer yards per attempt in that time frame and our offensive line wasn't really classified as good until 2014 when we added Martin. The good thing for us in 2017 is that Zeke was still great in the red zone when given the opportunity to run the ball. But regardless of the QB or the line not being as great as it was, Zeke needs to be averaging at minimum 4.6 ypc.

Felix Jones - 185 attempts 4.3 ypc 800 yards
Marion Barber - 113 attempts 3.3 ypc 374 yards

Demarco Murray - 164 attempts 5.5 ypc 897 yards
Felix Jones - 185 attempts 4.5 ypc 575 yards

Demarco Murray - 161 attempts 4.1 ypc 663 yards
Felix Jones - 111 attempts 3.6 ypc 402 yards

Demarco Murray - 217 attempts 5.2 ypc 1121 yards

Demarco Murray - 392 attempts 4.7 ypc 1845 yards

Darren McFadden - 239 attempts 4.6 ypc 1089 yards

Ezekiel Elliott - 322 attempts 5.1 ypc 1631 yards

Ezekiel Elliott - 242 attempts 4.1 ypc 983 yards
Alfred Morris - 115 attempts 4.8 ypc 547 yards

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why wouldn’t he? Just keep feeding him the ball.
DMC could have led the league in 2015 if he started the whole year and we fed him the ball. He still had 1k with much worse QB play than Dak. At that point it is just an exercise of getting your rushing attempts up high enough.

Sometimes I can't wait for that recess bell to ring.