Next "Genius," has been found

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Right on schedule with most other "Great coaches," the new guy in Cleveland is about to become the next "Great," coach in teh NFL. And just like most great coaches in the NFL, his greatness is about to coincide with the arrival of the next stud QB.

The Freat Andy Reid arrived in KC (after a 4-12 season in Philly) and the Chiefs have NEVER been considered a serious threat to win a SB. What do you know,the Chiefs drafted a young stud that they hit on, and once again, the now even "GREATER," Andy Reid is once again the man in the NFL. NOw the chiefs are a serious contender for a SB win. I guess Reid took some extra coaching classes in the last few off seasons to improve his ability to coach the Chiefs.

Hey. they guy from the Pats.... he was supposed to be a great Billy Boy deciple. I mean, he knows the "Patriot Way," and he is in year two and is about to be booed out of town already. Why is that?

We just might have another great young coach in teh Northeast about to explode.... lets wait and see if his young QB is a boom or bust. If he is a boom, this coach will now also be great. If his QB is a bust, he will be fired within 2 years.

Pape

Reaction score
Coaches names in your thread would help...

As for Andy Reid, he is a great coach... 195 regular season wins says it all, top ten of all time in terms of wins, only 2 losing seasons in a 20 year career... will be the next hc to hit 200 regular season wins... Be a while before anyone else gets there

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Coaches names in your thread would help...

As for Andy Reid, he is a great coach... 195 regular season wins says it all, top ten of all time in terms of wins, only 2 losing seasons in a 20 year career... will be the next hc to hit 200 regular season wins... Be a while before anyone else gets there

I purposely left off the 2 coaches names.

Can Andy Reid be "Great," with 1 SB appearance and no titles in 20 years or whatever it is that he has been coaching? He is 12-14 in the playoffs and he is great? It is funny how we put different requirements on different coaches to be considered," Great." When you have really good QBs over your entire coaching career, you better have a pretty good winning percentage.....so because he had McNabb during his time in Philly, he is great? What happened to his ability to win in Philly when McNabb got old?

Pape

Reaction score
Leaving the names out, on purpose or not, made the op difficult to read imo.

Can Andy Reid be considered great? I think he is a great coach... he wins, he wins consistently... he builds teams that are competitive year in year out... That is what makes him great, imo... you want to quibble over word definitions like great, very good, good, etc? fine, go ahead...

As for Reid, yes, a Super Bowl victory has eluded him, but his level of success compared to his contemporaries does indeed show that he is one of the better coaches in the NFL today... and has been for 20 years...

If you dont think he is a great coach, how do you define great?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right on schedule with most other "Great coaches," the new guy in Cleveland is about to become the next "Great," coach in teh NFL. And just like most great coaches in the NFL, his greatness is about to coincide with the arrival of the next stud QB.

The Freat Andy Reid arrived in KC (after a 4-12 season in Philly) and the Chiefs have NEVER been considered a serious threat to win a SB. What do you know,the Chiefs drafted a young stud that they hit on, and once again, the now even "GREATER," Andy Reid is once again the man in the NFL. NOw the chiefs are a serious contender for a SB win. I guess Reid took some extra coaching classes in the last few off seasons to improve his ability to coach the Chiefs.

Hey. they guy from the Pats.... he was supposed to be a great Billy Boy deciple. I mean, he knows the "Patriot Way," and he is in year two and is about to be booed out of town already. Why is that?

We just might have another great young coach in teh Northeast about to explode.... lets wait and see if his young QB is a boom or bust. If he is a boom, this coach will now also be great. If his QB is a bust, he will be fired within 2 years.

And Belechek has Brady....Landry had Staubach........Jimmy Johnson had Aikman...........Walsh had Montana.........Knoll had Bradshaw........... Lombardi had Starr........ great coach and great QB seems to be a pretty good combo throughout NFL history

And Andy Reid gets full credit for moving up at great cost and grabbing Mahomes. That was his guy.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Leaving the names out, on purpose or not, made the op difficult to read imo.

Can Andy Reid be considered great? I think he is a great coach... he wins, he wins consistently... he builds teams that are competitive year in year out... That is what makes him great, imo... you want to quibble over word definitions like great, very good, good, etc? fine, go ahead...

As for Reid, yes, a Super Bowl victory has eluded him, but his level of success compared to his contemporaries does indeed show that he is one of the better coaches in the NFL today... and has been for 20 years...

If you dont think he is a great coach, how do you define great?

The thing about coaching... or trying to place coaches effectiveness into boxes and labeling them "Great," Good," "bad," is that none of us are with them when all the coaching is taking place. We see GAME eperformance and stuff like clock management, so I am not sure how qualified any of us are in concluding a coach is great or bad or whatever. BUT, since all any of us can go by is what we see and results. I would consider Reid a very effective coach, a stabilizer for an organization..... but to say he is so uch better than coach x,y, or z?? I will not say that. Why wont I say that? Because I think that 85% of the guys that actually coach in the nfl (dont ask where I got that number, I puled it out of my arse) I think all those guys in the NFL are all very good. And some, like the next boy wonder n Cleveland, just happened to come along at the right time... right when the next top 5 QB in the league is starting to blossom.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
And Belechek has Brady....Landry had Staubach........Jimmy Johnson had Aikman...........Walsh had Montana.........Knoll had Bradshaw........... Lombardi had Starr........ great coach and great QB seems to be a pretty good combo throughout NFL history

And Andy Reid gets full credit for moving up at great cost and grabbing Mahomes. That was his guy.

ahhhhhhhhhh.... yes. That seems to be the case, only I would argue that the QB is whythose coaches are considered GREAT for the most part. Bill Walsh, remember him? The genius. Isnt that what they called him? My argument is that if Walsh coached the Jets with Ken Obrien in the early 80s instead of drafting Jow Montana, "The Genius," would have been special ed.....lol

Your list supports the claim that I always make. No coach is ever great, unless they have a GREAT QB. I pray Billy Boy sticks around when Brady finally runs out of gas. But, Just like the GREAT Phil Jackson, he will likely run off into the sunset when his gravy train leaves the building.

Pape

Reaction score
The thing about coaching... or trying to place coaches effectiveness into boxes and labeling them "Great," Good," "bad," is that none of us are with them when all the coaching is taking place. We see GAME eperformance and stuff like clock management, so I am not sure how qualified any of us are in concluding a coach is great or bad or whatever. BUT, since all any of us can go by is what we see and results. I would consider Reid a very effective coach, a stabilizer for an organization..... but to say he is so uch better than coach x,y, or z?? I will not say that. Why wont I say that? Because I think that 85% of the guys that actually coach in the nfl (dont ask where I got that number, I puled it out of my arse) I think all those guys in the NFL are all very good. And some, like the next boy wonder n Cleveland, just happened to come along at the right time... right when the next top 5 QB in the league is starting to blossom.

yeah, they are all very good ... they are 1 of 32 special ... but saying that is a cop out... some guys are good coaches, some arent, despite reaching the pinnacle of the sport... Hue Jackson anyone?

DFWJC

Reaction score
ahhhhhhhhhh.... yes. That seems to be the case, only I would argue that the QB is whythose coaches are considered GREAT for the most part. Bill Walsh, remember him? The genius. Isnt that what they called him? My argument is that if Walsh coached the Jets with Ken Obrien in the early 80s instead of drafting Jow Montana, "The Genius," would have been special ed.....lol

Your list supports the claim that I always make. No coach is ever great, unless they have a GREAT QB. I pray Billy Boy sticks around when Brady finally runs out of gas. But, Just like the GREAT Phil Jackson, he will likely run off into the sunset when his gravy train leaves the building.
Had to stop and re-read just believemy eyes....
Are you seriously saying Bill Walsh was not a great coach?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
yeah, they are all very good ... they are 1 of 32 special ... but saying that is a cop out... some guys are good coaches, some arent, despite reaching the pinnacle of the sport... Hue Jackson anyone?
Vince Lombardi would have sucked if he had the same QBs as Jackson had while in Cleveland.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Maybe you should read again. I never said he wasnt a good coach. But had he had the luxury of coaching Kenny O'brien instead of Joe Montana, I suspect we might not think of Bill Walsh as being a "Great Coach."

Strangely, when Walsh retired and Seifert took over, ddi the team keep on trucking? Seifert was amazing, even had the greatest win % in the history of the NFL. Then he went east, and he didnt get to take Steve Young with him. He must have hit his head on the flight, because he clearly forgot how to coach upon his arrival in Carolina.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe you should read again. I never said he wasnt a good coach. But had he had the luxury of coaching Kenny O'brien instead of Joe Montana, I suspect we might not think of Bill Walsh as being a "Great Coach."

Strangely, when Walsh retired and Seifert took over, ddi the team keep on trucking? Seifert was amazing, even had the greatest win % in the history of the NFL. Then he went east, and he didnt get to take Steve Young with him. He must have hit his head on the flight, because he clearly forgot how to coach upon his arrival in Carolina.

Or maybe Ken O'Brien just needed a great coach. What if Montana had been taken by the Cowboys and buried on the bench behind Danny White? It almost happened.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

*note to self: "remember to send a Christmas card w/ small cash donation to that Evelyn Woodheads sped reading correspondence course I'd semi- successfully completed several years back *

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
It's kinda too painful to reread, tho, I found the spelt werdin' of his choosing verbaged composition,rather compellingo_O

Reid1boys

Reaction score
had the same wiz kid you were extolling in the op...
same as the guy that coached Magic for one year and got ran out of town. He had for what??? 6 games, not the next guy is gonna benefit from the guy reaching his prime. Just like Phil Jackson in Chicago. You think a rookie Jordan was ready tot take on the celtics? then the dominant Pistons? Nope, phil came on right at the right time when the bulls were ready. Then he went to a YOUNG Kobie that was also ready to take off. Jackson had the best timing of any coach... ever.

Pape

Reaction score
same as the guy that coached Magic for one year and got ran out of town. He had for what??? 6 games, not the next guy is gonna benefit from the guy reaching his prime. Just like Phil Jackson in Chicago. You think a rookie Jordan was ready tot take on the celtics? then the dominant Pistons? Nope, phil came on right at the right time when the bulls were ready. Then he went to a YOUNG Kobie that was also ready to take off. Jackson had the best timing of any coach... ever.

Football isn't basketball.

The browns were primed to win last year. Way too much talent on that roster not to. But under hue, they languished, and lost. Is it just a coincidence they started winning after he got canned?

Don't down play something like that. Don't draw false equivalents with bad analogies. It's has always been a combo of coaching and players. It's the great coaches who bring out the greatness in players . Think Donovan McNabb would have been as successful as he was with a coach like Jason Garrett?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Football isn't basketball.

The browns were primed to win last year. Way too much talent on that roster not to. But under hue, they languished, and lost. Is it just a coincidence they started winning after he got canned?

Don't down play something like that. Don't draw false equivalents with bad analogies. It's has always been a combo of coaching and players. It's the great coaches who bring out the greatness in players . Think Donovan McNabb would have been as successful as he was with a coach like Jason Garrett?

They didnt languish... they lost some damn close games and overtime games. They had a ROOKIE starting QB most of the year. Baker was gonna do exactly what he did with or without Hue, and if Hue was there this year, they do the same thing. No, its a coincidence they started winning after Baker got some damn games in. Reid is good, but why did he leave the Iggles in shambles and finish 4-12 in his last season there? I mean, he is a "Great," coach.

IM thinking Jason Garret has done pretty well overall. He completely overhauled the team from 2014... and we didnt have to go through 5 years of sucking to do so. He has the same number of sb titles as Reid, and only 1 less SB appearance..... and I mean, Reid si GREAT, remember?

Pape

Reaction score
They didnt languish... they lost some damn close games and overtime games. They had a ROOKIE starting QB most of the year. Baker was gonna do exactly what he did with or without Hue, and if Hue was there this year, they do the same thing. No, its a coincidence they started winning after Baker got some damn games in. Reid is good, but why did he leave the Iggles in shambles and finish 4-12 in his last season there? I mean, he is a "Great," coach.

IM thinking Jason Garret has done pretty well overall. He completely overhauled the team from 2014... and we didnt have to go through 5 years of sucking to do so. He has the same number of sb titles as Reid, and only 1 less SB appearance..... and I mean, Reid si GREAT, remember?

There is no such thing as a coincidence. The browns lost those games due to poor coaching. And I gotta ask, you really going to continue to defend a coach who went 1-31 over two seasons?

Comparing Garret to Reid? How many playoff wins in his tenure? One? Two? And you want to bag on Andy Reid's playoff record? Come on... A little Bit of consistency please....

Reid1boys

Reaction score
There is no such thing as a coincidence. The browns lost those games due to poor coaching. And I gotta ask, you really going to continue to defend a coach who went 1-31 over two seasons?

Comparing Garret to Reid? How many playoff wins in his tenure? One? Two? And you want to bag on Andy Reid's playoff record? Come on... A little Bit of consistency please....
You can argue however you want. What Kind of shape were the Browns in when Hue Arrived? What kind of shape were they in when he left? Im not defending him... im just staying VERY CONSISTENT as I always have in regards to coaches. I think they are all pretty damn good..... some just luck out with the right qb and they ride the wave. Hitting lightning in a bottle and winning one SB does not impress me. I must admit, winning 2 SB with a HOF qb doesnt overly impress me. Now, win SB with multiple QBs, or win multiple SB with non HOF QBs, and I will be very impressed. I think Reid is a good coach. I give him credit for getting Mahomes, trading the Vet QB, and going with a young qb. But make no mistake, Reid has been coaching for 20 years now and has zero sb titles. He very well could win 2 or 3 in the next decade if he stays that long. But make no mistake, it will be vecause he hit the jackpot, not because of his great schemes. Reid has been BLASTED for his HORRIBLE in game decisions especially clock management at the end of games. Now, with Mahomes, all his flaws are about to disappear, and Reid is about to become THE coach in the league.