Next season NFL is expanding PS on all 32 teams to include one international player

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Have it start up a month before the season and get rid of the preseason and practice squads.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
My guess is football is the #1 revenue sport in USA and it’s not even pulling in international fans like NBA, MLB and NHL. Sky is the limit if they can make it stick somewhere. Look no further than our own defensive line coach for a real example. And Cowboys are way ahead of other NFL Teams on this which is in part why they have such a huge fan base in Mexico. The main problem with growing American Football is it’s so expensive and so much equipment. Unless you get the same high school boost that USA does, it’s tough to get it going, whereas your competition in many cases just needs a ball. I know people would love it though if they had the same opportunities. It’s the greatest sport on this planet, and there‘s a lot of young men who could be coached into this sport and have a better life too because of it.

Last edited:

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Why not just the best players available no matter where they are from? Isn't the NFL the peak of meritocracy?
Because nfl is mostly an American sport and players across the borders don't get high quality coaching, even in the other professional leagues. So ideally opening up a PS spot, let's a team bring in a player who has physical traits and coach them to see if they can translate that to the field.
Bad idea. I don't see any positive spin on this. Everyone can see what the league is trying to do here.
So? What's the downside? They added a practice squad spot and possibly they can develop a player who can play a role in the NFL. There is zero harm being done to anyone. No nfl.com player is losing there spot. They already expanded the practice squad for NFL players and saw success with that and decided to do it for international players in hopes of getting some success.

Who cares why they are doing it, when there is nothing being lost other then owners having to fork over a few extra dollars, which *checks notes* yall say you don't care about

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Unfortunately, soccer and baseball are still kings of international sport, with basketball third. American football just ain't gonna cut it. NFL should accept this is really an American sport.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Unfortunately, soccer and baseball are still kings of international sport, with basketball third. American football just ain't gonna cut it. NFL should accept this is really an American sport.
Basketball has replaced baseball. Baseball is only big in the islands and Japan. IMO, American football would be bigger than baseball by now internationally if it had the same popular history going back to 20's and earlier. Basketball is almost everywhere now --- Europe, South America, China, Russia. Only sport I've seen starting to approach soccer's dominance.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Because nfl is mostly an American sport and players across the borders don't get high quality coaching, even in the other professional leagues. So ideally opening up a PS spot, let's a team bring in a player who has physical traits and coach them to see if they can translate that to the field.

So? What's the downside? They added a practice squad spot and possibly they can develop a player who can play a role in the NFL. There is zero harm being done to anyone. No nfl.com player is losing there spot. They already expanded the practice squad for NFL players and saw success with that and decided to do it for international players in hopes of getting some success.

Who cares why they are doing it, when there is nothing being lost other then owners having to fork over a few extra dollars, which *checks notes* yall say you don't care about
It should be about maximizing talent on the roster not feeling good about inclusivity.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It should be about maximizing talent on the roster not feeling good about inclusivity.
Big picture is if you get football big in other countries, you do maximize the talent.

Look at the NBA where half the draft is from Europe, or you have players with almost no experience coming from other countries because they had freak athletic talent and tore it up one year in college.

NHL gets a huge amount of draft players from overseas and Canada. Baseball not only drafts but sets up talent camps in the islands and is always bringing in talent that would have never been there.

If the NFL can find its talent pool, you'll get better games. Look how bad it was last week in the NFL. Our team was stocked and ready, but most just played bad football.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
My guess is football is the #1 revenue sport in USA and it’s not even pulling in international fans like NBA, MLB and NHL. Sky is the limit if they can make it stick somewhere. Look no further than our own defensive line coach for a real example. And Cowboys are way ahead of other NFL Teams on this which is in part why they have such a huge fan base in Mexico. The main problem with growing American Football is it’s so expensive and so much equipment. Unless you get the same high school boost that USA does, it’s tough to get it going, whereas your competition in many cases just needs a ball. I know people would love it though if they had the same opportunities. It’s the greatest sport on this planet, and there‘s a lot of young men who could be coached into this sport and have a better life too because of it.
Spot on!

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I'm okay with this. The Cowboys did pretty well with Tony Fritsch (Austria), Effren Herrera (Mexico), and Raphael Septien (Mexico).

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Big picture is if you get football big in other countries, you do maximize the talent.

Look at the NBA where half the draft is from Europe, or you have players with almost no experience coming from other countries because they had freak athletic talent and tore it up one year in college.

NHL gets a huge amount of draft players from overseas and Canada. Baseball not only drafts but sets up talent camps in the islands and is always bringing in talent that would have never been there.

If the NFL can find its talent pool, you'll get better games. Look how bad it was last week in the NFL. Our team was stocked and ready, but most just played bad football.
It seems like a really forward view. Basketball has long been much more prevalent globally and is a much easier sport to get off the ground in developing a program. Football is a much more complex sport to undertake from a programmatic perspective and more of a novelty right now globally. I think it's a good idea to continue having games and increasing exposure overseas, but that is going to be more of a pay off on the fan side of the equation. I would prefer the teams select the talent for their roster than the league mandate an international player at this point in time.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It seems like a really forward view. Basketball has long been much more prevalent globally and is a much easier sport to get off the ground in developing a program. Football is a much more complex sport to undertake from a programmatic perspective and more of a novelty right now globally. I think it's a good idea to continue having games and increasing exposure overseas, but that is going to be more of a pay off on the fan side of the equation. I would prefer the teams select the talent for their roster than the league mandate an international player at this point in time.
Yeah, NFL will have to invest some money to make it happen. But it can happen.

Look at basketball. We used to make fun of "euros" who would bomb in the NBA. The Dream Team wiped the floor internationally. Not much later, USA getting whipped in the Olympics and barely keeping its head above water, and you have the recent NBA HOF induction with Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, Tony Parker, et al.

Baseball. I don't know if anyone remembers that movie a long time ago that stars Tom Selleck (I think) where he has to go coach baseball in Japan and can't understand it. Now... MLB Teams are scrambling all over each other to sign the next Japanese Babe Ruth and the players are willing because they want to play with the best in the world.

NFL Europe was a good idea, they should have kept it, and I'm sure our defensive line coach agrees since he was introduced to football through it.

Just takes some big picture vision and a true passion for the sport. Biggest thing going against football though is you're right, the equipment infrastructure. It's an industrialized nation sport. But even baseball which has its own crazy infrastructure needs figured it out in some of the poorest Caribbean islands by funding these operations and now all these kids are trying their darndest to be the next Sammy Sosa.

I would rather young men around the world be groomed to be bad arse Dallas Cowboys instead of gang members, soldiers or whatever else makes a living in their country. And I believe in the sport. No sport encourages teamwork more than football. My hippy message for the day - the world would be a better place.