Next season NFL is expanding PS on all 32 teams to include one international player

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Someone get made that there aren't enough foreigners?
I think they are just trying to grow the game’s popularity around the world. No better way to create fans in other countries than to have players from other countries. Wouldn’t surprise me if the next step isn’t expanding to 54 man rosters and mandating at least 1 foreign born player. Force teams to scout other countries.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think they are just trying to grow the game’s popularity around the world. No better way to create fans in other countries than to have players from other countries. Wouldn’t surprise me if the next step isn’t expanding to 54 man rosters and mandating at least 1 foreign born player. Force teams to scout other countries.
It would be like 1970's Cowboys all over again, every team would have that European kicker they found with the leg. LOL

rambo2

Reaction score
They should add another roster spot because they lose too many players to injury.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I get it, but any normal functioning athlete isn't going to want to travel overseas to play a game on a regular basis.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
dang I'm waiting for when they can add and old out of shape guy. I can set on the PS for 65k or less and do nothing. :)

EST_1986

Reaction score
How about giving those spots to guys that earn it instead of because of where they’re from?

If the international players were worthy they’d be on squads already.
the spots are the earned guys are still there this takes nothing from them, this is an except to try and expand the international opportunities

Praxit

Reaction score
..time to grab one those Dutch players. 6'8 360/ bench press 800lb/squats 2K, 4.4 forty .... ;)..

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
How about giving those spots to guys that earn it instead of because of where they’re from?

If the international players were worthy they’d be on squads already.
No they wouldn't because they don't have access to football development basically from childhood the way most players in the US do.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Basketball has replaced baseball. Baseball is only big in the islands and Japan. IMO, American football would be bigger than baseball by now internationally if it had the same popular history going back to 20's and earlier. Basketball is almost everywhere now --- Europe, South America, China, Russia. Only sport I've seen starting to approach soccer's dominance.
Done a lot of traveling throughout Latin America during the winter and saw a lot of baseball being played. That will not change. The average NBA player is 6'6", 216 pounds. How many humans are on the planet with those measurements, let alone having the athletic ability to play in the NBA? Latin America is not known for having many tall people. No one cares how tall you are in baseball, well, unless you're playing first base.

In Eastern Europe and the Baltic Republics, it's soccer or basketball, not much else. Can't play baseball in those freezing winters. I'm not surprised that the best player in the world today has the name of Nikola Jokic.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
It should be about maximizing talent on the roster not feeling good about inclusivity.
They have what 16 other spots for that? Adding an extra spot for this doesn't impact any other player. All it does is give an extra shot for other players to have an opportunity to grow.

This is just whining for the sake of it.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
They have what 16 other spots for that? Adding an extra spot for this doesn't impact any other player. All it does is give an extra shot for other players to have an opportunity to grow.

This is just whining for the sake of it.
The issue at hand is not with the extra spot. Judging from your response, the crux of the matter flew over your head. Report back when you have some substantive content to share

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Frankly, I'm offended that there aren't any height challenged set asides with this plan. It's clear people who are under 4'11" are not represented in this league at all.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Done a lot of traveling throughout Latin America during the winter and saw a lot of baseball being played. That will not change. The average NBA player is 6'6", 216 pounds. How many humans are on the planet with those measurements, let alone having the athletic ability to play in the NBA? Latin America is not known for having many tall people. No one cares how tall you are in baseball, well, unless you're playing first base.

In Eastern Europe and the Baltic Republics, it's soccer or basketball, not much else. Can't play baseball in those freezing winters. I'm not surprised that the best player in the world today has the name of Nikola Jokic.
Doesn't matter. Average American isn't NBA or NFL size either.

Let's not knock short guys, we can see it with our own NFL team and Deuce and Turpin. I have travelled through Asia, and I can tell you that the average Asian man is usually fairly small, but doesn't matter if you have god given athletic skill and baseball is signing them up. I know baseball doesn't need size as much, but all pro sports have bigger sizes.

I think the bigger picture though is if you build the grassroots leagues, you eventually end up with the overflow of 6'6" guys just like Europe did with the NBA. We take it for granted in our country because recruiting starts young. Some of these guys are groomed from age 8. Shoot, look at Coach Prime, he has a roster of kids who have been playing with him since Pop Warner.

Nevermind the recruiting though, How many 6'6" guys got pulled by their junior high coach to play for the team? A lot. The other countries don't have that infrastructure. Just saying.... it could work. We have a lot of advantages in our country that make it work, and it won't be easy, but I believe in this sport, and know it's just waiting for the right leadership to take it international.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So? What's the downside? They added a practice squad spot and possibly they can develop a player who can play a role in the NFL. There is zero harm being done to anyone.
No harm is being done but like posted before, there are better players from the SEC.