Next Tournament Idea Thread (Balloting Has Ended)

Chose 4 Movie Genres OR Movie Pair Ups OR Franchise Series (read post #111 before voting)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyec

Reaction score
:huh:

I cropped and edited the PDF example in the link I posted earlier. Maybe this will make it clearer.

oeZ1s2b.png

The earliest possible meeting between The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and Tombstone could not happen before the Elite 8 round.

It is like March Madness seeding... except with movies... and no specific regions. :p
THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES VS A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS:omg:

THIS.
IS.
WHY.
WE.
DO.
THIS.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Most votes for a western) would be going up against Tombstone (2nd most votes for a western), rather than the 8th most voted for western?
I think it should be #1 vs #32, #2 vs #31, etc etc. Lets see who really left standing. I don’t want a non-favorite guaranteed final four :laugh:
Before post 171 explained what the balloting was about and y'all were talking about important future topics like movie franchise tournaments, @cowboyec and @CouchCoach were posting stuff like this:
Tournament of the Best Comedies, Best Dramas, Best Westerns, Best Horror/Sci-Fi, Best Action/Adventure, Best Sports movies. Take the top 8 finishers in each category for the Final Faceoff to select the top Movie.

Tournament of the best Songs from each era. The 60's would be particularly interesting with American, Beach music, Motown and British Invasion competing.

I did not participate in the last one because of unfamiliarity of the subjects, I don't know who half those women are so I am thinking in terms of a broader list so more can play.

i like the idea of best movie...with the regions being something like...westerns,comedy,sci-fi,sports.....or you could change out one for drama,action,etc...
maybe put the region genre to vote.
would be fun to see a final 4 of best western v best sci fi v best comedy v best sports.

best song would be fun you could divide the regions by decade...50s,60s,70s,80s.
or let people vote on the genre's that will make up the bracket regions....top 4 genres will square off.
we list our top 8 in each.
looks like the brackets will be sci-fi/horror vs a tion/adventure vs westerns vs comedy.

some difficult decisions ahead for me.
sci fi region...easy.
westerns...easy.
action/adventure....LOTS of hard decisions.
comedy region....so-so.
Before that I was all in on a straight 32-seeded tournament with no regions. They s-l-o-w-l-y wore me down and convinced me to go with a genre by region idea. Y'all better keep an eye out for them and especially cowboyec. He is VERY persuasive. :laugh:

cowboyec

Reaction score
my final 4 bracket
•the good,the bad & the ugly
•braveheart
•jaws
•monty python's holy grail

☆the good,the bad & the ugly☆

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Before post 171 explained what the balloting was about and y'all were talking about important future topics like movie franchise tournaments, @cowboyec and @CouchCoach were posting stuff like this:

Before that I was all in on a straight 32-seeded tournament with no regions. They s-l-o-w-l-y wore me down and convinced me to go with a genre by region idea. Y'all better keep an eye out for them and especially cowboyec. He is VERY persuasive. :laugh:
That squeaky wheel!!!

cowboyec

Reaction score
ones to watch from each region...could easily play the spoiler role...
western:the outlaw josey wales
sci-fi/horror:jaws
action/adventure:braveheart
comedy:caddyshack

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
when i hear tournament...i instantly think march madness style brackets.
i assumed in the beginning thats what everyone was talkin' bout.
That is exactly why I wanted to turn simple discussions about 'what is best' into actual voting contests. To see sure things decide by vote and to witness certain can't missed opportunities turned into upsets. Madness is the name of the game. :)

cowboyec

Reaction score
iron sharpens iron.
wanna be the best Western...you're gonna have to earn it.
look at that region.
you DO NOT wanna face the winner of that region.
IRON.
SHARPENS.
IRON.

cowboyec

Reaction score
iron sharpens iron II...
the action/adventure region...
holy crap.
some of the greatest movies EVER...
braveheart
dark knight
die hard
star wars
empire
gladiator

like the Westerns region....the winner will have truly earned it.

cowboyec

Reaction score
the tag line to this tournament should be...
WHAT WE DO IN LIFE...ECHOES THRU ETERNITY.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the final tally! Below are the top eight voted films in the four genres by overall point ranking [tiebreakers are in brackets]:

01. The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (1966), Western (162 Points)
02. Aliens (1986), Horror/Sci-Fi (120 Points) [1]
03. Tombstone (1993), Western (120 Points) [2]
04. Alien (1979), Horror/Sci-Fi (107 Points) [3]
05. Die Hard (1988), Action/Adventure (107 Points) [4]
06. The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976), Western (107 Points) [5]
07. The Thing (1982), Horror/Sci-Fi (87 Points)
08. Unforgiven (1992), Western (84 Points) [6]
09. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977), Action/Adventure (84 Points) [7]
10. Gladiator (2000), Action/Adventure (69 Points)
11. The Dark Knight (2008), Action/Adventure (68 Points) [8]
12. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), Horror/Sci-Fi (68 Points) [9]
13. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980), Action/Adventure (63 Points) [10]
14. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975), Comedy (63 Points) [11]
15. Terminator 2 Judgment Day (1991), Horror/Sci-Fi (61 Points)
16. The Wild Bunch (1969), Western (58 Points)
17. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003), Action/Adventure (53 Points) [12]
18. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002), Action/Adventure (53 Points) [13]
19. The Matrix (1999), Horror/Sci-Fi (55 Points) [14]
20. Braveheart (1995), Action/Adventure (53 Points) [15]
21. Airplane! (1980), Comedy (53 Points) [16]
22. The Shining (1980), Horror/Sci-Fi (52 Points)
23. Jaws (1975), Horror/Sci-Fi (50 Points)
24. A Fistful of Dollars (1964), Western (45 Points)
25. Caddyshack (1980), Comedy (39 Points) [21]
26. For A Few Dollars More (1965), Western (39 Points) [22]
27. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968), Western (37 Points) [17]
28. Happy Gilmore (1996), Comedy (37 Points) [18]
29. Ghostbusters (1984), Comedy (32 Points)
30. National Lampoon's Vacation (1983), Comedy (31 Points)
31. Donnie Darko (2001), Comedy (29 Points) [19]
32. Tommy Boy (1995), Comedy (29 Points) [20]

* Films will be seeded in their respective four regions in the order of their overall ranking. Seed numbers will be assigned when the brackets are released.

TIEBREAKER 1: If a nominated film is described with two or more different genre categories, the genre description matching the IMDB.com genre(s) will be used.

[7] 2 members described movie as Horror OR SCI-FI & 1 member described movies as ACTION OR ADVENTURE|IMDB.com genres were "Action, Adventure, Fantasy"|Action/Adventure chosen
[10] 1 member described movie as Horror OR SCI-FI & 1 member described movie as ACTION OR ADVENTURE|IMDB.com genres were "Action, Adventure, Fantasy"|Action/Adventure chosen​

TIEBREAKER 2: If a nominated film is described with two or more different genre categories AND they match the two or more IMDB.com genre(s), the genre category listed on the most ballots will be used.

[14] 2 members described movie as Horror OR SCI-FI & 1 member described movies as ACTION OR ADVENTURE|IMDB.com genres were "Action, Sci-Fi, Fantasy"|Horror/Sci-Fi chosen via majority decision​

TIEBREAKER 3: If two or more movies have equal total ballot points, the films will be ranked according to the combined awards won and nominated listed by IMDB.com, from most to least.

[1] 20 wins & 23 nominations
[2] 0 wins & 2 nominations
[3] 17 wins & 21 nominations
[4] 8 wins & 6 nominations.
[5] 1 win & 2 nomination
[6] 50 wins & 46 nominations
[7] 58 wins & 28 nominations
[8] 155 wins & 159 nominations
[9] 16 wins & 10 nominations
[10] 25 wins & 20 nominations
[11] 2 wins & 2 nominations
[12] 209 wins & 123 nominations
[13] 125 wins & 137 nominations
[14] 41 wins & 50 nominations
[15] 33 wins & 32 nominations
[16] 3 wins & 6 nominations
[17] 4 wins & 5 nominations
[18] 1 win & 4 nominations
[19] 11 wins & 15 nominations
[20] 1 win & 2 nominations​

TIEBREAKER 4: If two or more movies have equal total ballot points AND same number of total awards, the films will be ranked according to their Inflation Adjusted Domestic Box Office, by the-numbers.com, from most to least.

[21] $134,944,307 domestic box office adjusted for inflation
[22] $46,309,164 domestic box office adjusted for inflation​

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I am disappointed with the comedy results. Vacation should not be that low and Something about Mary/Superbad should be there. The others listed are great but they don’t compare :thumbdown:

John Candy needs to be in there also and not just as a role at WallyWorld :laugh:

cowboyec

Reaction score
I am disappointed with the comedy results. Vacation should not be that low and Something about Mary/Superbad should be there. The others listed are great but they don’t compare :thumbdown:

John Candy needs to be in there also and not just as a role at WallyWorld :laugh:
i had planes,trains & automobiles uncle buck AND the great outdoors in my 32.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On the day our face off starts, the composer of the favorite, Ennio Morricone, passes away the day before.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, when do we start and is this in 4 separate threads or just 1?
My launch goal is today for Round 1 for the tournament. I have several work meetings swapped around this morning unexpectedly, so I have not done so yet. It may be sometime this evening before I post the tournament poll threads.

Round 1 consists of 16 matchups. Each matchup is either/or and equal two poll options. 16 X 2 = 32 possible options

The site's polling system has a maximum of 10 options per poll. Four polls are required with eight options per poll. So, 32-option tournament equals:

Round 1: 4 thread polls
Sweet 16: 2 thread polls
Elite 8, Final 4 & Championship: 1 thread poll each

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My launch goal is today for Round 1 for the tournament. I have several work meetings swapped around this morning unexpectedly, so I have not done so yet. It may be sometime this evening before I post the tournament poll threads.

Round 1 consists of 16 matchups. Each matchup is either/or and equal two poll options. 16 X 2 = 32 possible options

The site's polling system has a maximum of 10 options per poll. Four polls are required with eight options per poll. So, 32-option tournament equals:

Round 1: 4 thread polls
Sweet 16: 2 thread polls
Elite 8, Final 4 & Championship: 1 thread poll each
What???? Wait just a damned minute! You let work interfere with our fun? That's OK, give me extra time to figure out how to cheat and win. I don't know what winning is but I do know I'll have to cheat to do it.

cowboyec

Reaction score
the man with no name and the outlaw josey wales are destined for one HELLUVA showdown.
WINNER.
WILL.
TAKE.
IT.
ALL.
:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.