Next Tournament Idea Thread (Balloting Has Ended)

Chose 4 Movie Genres OR Movie Pair Ups OR Franchise Series (read post #111 before voting)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
New ballot lists may be over. If so, here is a snapshot of nominated films out of the Top 32, picked by participating members, that will populate the tournament bracket:

0imTjZv.jpg

It may be premature but congrats @Boom ! Now we shall all soon see how many nominees each of us picked that will reach the Final Four!

So far, my one disappointment is not only nominating four out of the top 10 movies (The Empire Strikes Back, The Dark Knight, Aliens and John Carpenter's The Thing) but that The Exorcist will likely not make the tournament. It is my biggest personal 'Wow! Really?' lack of appreciation from my fellow participating members of them all. The Exorcist will turn 50 in a few years but it still remains my number one horror movie of all-time.

Now I will shut up and not jinx myself before any new members submit late ballots and blow up the 13 nominated films I DID support reaching the tournament. :muttley:
YAY!!!!! I tied for 5th!! Yay!!!!!

I am very surprised The Exorcist didn't make it and frankly, I forgot about it. It would have easily made my top 4 in horror. Ya see, I consider The Exorcist to be pure horror and Alien, Aliens and The Thing to be Horror/Sci Fi.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hahahahahahahahahaha, I beat you, I beat you. That's what you get for getting my Magnificent Seven kicked out for your damned ole For a Few Dollars More. You cost me a spot at the coveted 4th position.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
YAY!!!!! I tied for 5th!! Yay!!!!!

I am very surprised The Exorcist didn't make it and frankly, I forgot about it. It would have easily made my top 4 in horror. Ya see, I consider The Exorcist to be pure horror and Alien, Aliens and The Thing to be Horror/Sci Fi.
Harrumph! That means you didn't even look at my list, because I had The Exorcist on mine. It was the last entry, but that's because it was an afterthought, and I wasn't gonna go through and redo my whole list again.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Harrumph! That means you didn't even look at my list, because I had The Exorcist on mine. It was the last entry, but that's because it was an afterthought, and I wasn't gonna go through and redo my whole list again.
Why would I look at your list? Think I can't think up 8 horror movies on my own? OK, so I did forget The Exorcist.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The balloting phase is in its final stretch. The tournament format will be the usual Region 1 vs Region 4, Region 2 vs Region 3, with the winners of Regions 1 & 4 and Regions 2 & 3 facing off in the CowboysZone Movie Genre Championship.

Regions will be decided by total number of points accumulated by the eight films in their respective category. At present, the count and expected regions will be:
  1. Western (652 points)
  2. Horror/Sci-Fi (600 points)
  3. Action/Adventure (550 points)
  4. Comedy (313 points)
Movies will be seeded in each region from most-to-least voted. Each film will be assigned its equivalent tourney seed:
  • Western top voted movie = #1 seed, next highest voted western = #8 seed, etc.
  • Horror/Sci-Fi top voted movie = #2 seed, next highest voted horror/sci-fi = #7 seed, etc.
  • Action/Adventure top voted movie = #3 seed, next highest voted action/adventure = #6 seed, etc.
  • Comedy top voted movie = #4 seed, next highest voted action/adventure = #5 seed, etc.
Below is a possible Final Four showdown among the current top seeds in each region if balloting ended now:

dGErcyR.png

#1 The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

vs.

H3SnFYy.png

#4 Monty Python and The Holy Grail

mLpNdC7.png

#2 Aliens

vs.

AiMbpJd.png

#3 Die Hard

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
  • Western top voted movie = #1 seed, next highest voted western = #8 seed, etc. How is the next highest voted western the #8 seed?
  • Horror/Sci-Fi top voted movie = #2 seed, next highest voted horror/sci-fi = #7 seed, etc.
  • Action/Adventure top voted movie = #3 seed, next highest voted action/adventure = #6 seed, etc.
  • Comedy top voted movie = #4 seed, next highest voted action/adventure = #5 seed, etc.
Are you doing genres separate from each other, then pitting top Comedy against top Horror, etc?

I'll wait until you answer this to see if the next part makes more sense, once you do.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Hahahahahahahahahaha, I beat you, I beat you. That's what you get for getting my Magnificent Seven kicked out for your damned ole For a Few Dollars More. You cost me a spot at the coveted 4th position.
my top 3 rated movies made it....so suck it.
THE MAN WITH NO NAME WILL CUT DOWN THE NETS.
NOT A PREDICTION...IT'S A SPOILER.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • Western top voted movie = #1 seed, next highest voted western = #8 seed, etc. How is the next highest voted western the #8 seed?
Tournament bracket format. Here is a link to a PDF single elimination example:

https://www.printyourbrackets.com/pdfbrackets/32singleseeded-no-numbers.pdf

Look at the top of the page where the top region (Western region in this case) is located using the PDF. The seeds in the region are: #1, #8, #9, #16, #17, #24, #25 & #32. This is the same seeding process used in the Celebrity Bracket Tournament, except the films belonging to each specific category of Western, Horror/Sci-Fi, Action/Adventure and Comedy are group together instead of spread out throughout the entire bracket.

Are you doing genres separate from each other, then pitting top Comedy against top Horror, etc?
Yes. I may should have been even more specific in wording for post 171 but the specific movies in a genre would go head-to-head, deciding a winner, and the winner would face the winners of the other regions.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Tournament bracket format. Here is a link to a PDF single elimination example:

https://www.printyourbrackets.com/pdfbrackets/32singleseeded-no-numbers.pdf

Look at the top of the page where the top region (Western region in this case) is located using the PDF. The seeds in the region are: #1, #8, #9, #16, #17, #24, #25 & #32. This is the same seeding process used in the Celebrity Bracket Tournament, except the films belonging to each specific category of Western, Horror/Sci-Fi, Action/Adventure and Comedy are group together instead of spread out throughout the entire bracket.

Yes. I may should have been even more specific in wording for post #171 but the specific movies in a genre would go head-to-head, deciding a winner, and the winner would face the winners of the other regions.

So, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Most votes for a western) would be going up against Tombstone (2nd most votes for a western), rather than the 8th most voted for western?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think it should be #1 vs #32, #2 vs #31, etc etc. Lets see who really left standing. I don’t want a non-favorite guaranteed final four :laugh:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
my top 3 rated movies made it....so suck it.
THE MAN WITH NO NAME WILL CUT DOWN THE NETS.
NOT A PREDICTION...IT'S A SPOILER.
You have been talking smack and deservedly so. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly amassed a staggering 162 points. Aliens was WAY back in second place in overall points with 120.

Your number 1st ranking, along with timb2's 7th ranking, Boom's 5th ranking, and CouchCoach's 7th ranking indicate the movie is held in very high esteem. That along will make the film a hard out before reaching the semi-finals.

BUT

I must point out DFWJC's 12th ranking, Runwildboys' 27 ranking, Tabascocat's 29th ranking and my own 14th ranking for the movie also indicates that, although the film is recognized as a great western, it may not be thought as the best film ever when considering the movies in the other three categories. It may also be prudent to remember votes in the tournament count as 1 per member, unlike the balloting point system.

Then there are those possible pesky ties, and tiebreakers, that could factor in also. :p

Just food for thought. :thumbup:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Most votes for a western) would be going up against Tombstone (2nd most votes for a western), rather than the 8th most voted for western?
:huh:

I cropped and edited the PDF example in the link I posted earlier. Maybe this will make it clearer.

oeZ1s2b.png

The earliest possible meeting between The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and Tombstone could not happen before the Elite 8 round.

It is like March Madness seeding... except with movies... and no specific regions. :p

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
:huh:

I cropped and edited the PDF example in the link I posted earlier. Maybe this will make it clearer.

oeZ1s2b.png

The earliest possible meeting between The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and Tombstone could not happen before the Elite 8 round.

It is like March Madness seeding... except with movies... and no specific regions. :p
I see, so this:
  • Western top voted movie = #1 seed, next highest voted western = #8 seed, etc.
wasn't indicating that #1 would challenge #8, #2 would challenge #7, etc. That's where much of my confusion was coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.