NFC East Greatest Superbowl Teams Who Would Win?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but the '87 Commanders were a better team than the '91 team.

So who's the best? I think if you asked most people they'd say the '86 Giants. I might agree. But then I remember the Cowboys almost beat them twice that year. After two consecutive big plays by the Cowboys were called back by penalties on the final drive, Giants held on to win 17-14 in week 9. No way that '92 team loses to them.

Don't get me wrong, I think the '86 Giants were a really good SB team. But they'd be more suited to play the '77 Cowboys than the '92.
I always thought the 90 Giants were the best giants team ever. Parcells had good talent on defense, and BB as his DC lol.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Time for a change of pace thread for some fun.

If the following great teams from the NFC East Played one another in a round robin tournament how would the finish from top to bottom.

1986 NY Giants - Overall Record 14-2- offense led by Sims , Morris , Bavaro / Defense led by LT , Martin , Marshall, Carson this scary defense wreaked havoc and dominated. The Giants Offense was blue collar like and averaged 23.2 PPG which ranked 8th. There Defense gave up 14.8 ppg which ranked 2nd

1991- Washington Commanders - Overall Record 14-2 Offense was explosive 30.3 ppg for number 1 ranking while the defense ranked 2nd only giving up 14.0 ppg - offense was led by Rypien , Clark, Monk , Byner & the Hogs. Defense Also Loaded with Mann , Marshall, Millen , Green and Collins

1992 Dallas Cowboys - 13-3 Overall Record Offense was ranked 2nd averaging 15.6 ppg while the defense gave up 15.2 ppg good for the 5th spot . Offense featured the triplets, The great wall, novacek / The defense was led by Haley , Maryland, Norton

2017 Philadelphia Eagles 13-3 Overall Record they scored 28.6 ppg good for 3rd best and the defense gave up 18.4 ppg good for 4th offense featured foles, blount, ertz , jeffrey - while the defense featured Cox, Jenkins Darby and Grahem

Who You Got ? How would they Finish And Why
92 Cowboys were the best due to the HC , OC, DC, and so many talented players.
The 91 cowboys beat wash in wash, so am sure 92 cowboys could beat them.
86 giants would be a close game, but dallas probably wins.

People make fun of Buffalo , but they had to play 3 of the greatest nfc teams ever in the SB's

MikeB80

Reaction score
Impossible to say.

Hard to see anyone stopping that 91 Commanders offense or 92 cowboys offense. Its also hard to see these teams scoring on the 86 giants.

the eagles team would be a double digit underdog to any of them and wouldn't really be able to compete imo.

it was such an amazing run the east had from like 82 to 95.

MikeB80

Reaction score
92 Cowboys were the best due to the HC , OC, DC, and so many talented players.
The 91 cowboys beat wash in wash, so am sure 92 cowboys could beat them.
86 giants would be a close game, but dallas probably wins.

People make fun of Buffalo , but they had to play 3 of the greatest nfc teams ever in the SB's

its interesting because Jimmy had Joe Gibbs number for some reason. He just knew how to beat the Commanders.

I am forever wondering "what if" had Dallas gotten out of the silver dome in January of 92 and gone to RFK the next week. I also am forever grateful the Commanders did not pull off the upset at Candlestick and earned a spot in the NFC Championship vs Dallas in january of 1993.

I loved the matchup of that 91 Dallas team going to RFK for the Championship and hated the matchup had the Commanders come to texas stadium for the championship the next year. The Cowboys Commanders game in december of 92 (The last game they lost and jimmy threw a fit on the plane home) was a wild evenly matched game that swung on a terrible call in the end zone and a fumble by irvin.

IMO those 86 Giants, 92 Cowboys and 91 Commanders are 3 of the leagues top teams ever.

Flamma

Reaction score
i think if i am not mistaken the 86 giants had belichek as the D Coordinator would have been an interesting matchup for sure

I'm not sure, but you might be right. I'm pretty sure Belichick was there for the '90 SB. The Giants D came on strong towards the end of the season. The Giants biggest competition was the Commanders. The Bears, although having a great record, were a shell of what they were a year before. They too feasted on weaker teams all year. I just can't get past the fact the Cowboys played them evenly in both games. The aging talent on that team wasn't even close to the '92 Cowboys roster. I can't see the '86 Giants putting more than 10 points up. Hell, I think they'd have trouble scoring against the '77 Cowboys.

MikeB80

Reaction score
I always thought the 90 Giants were the best giants team ever. Parcells had good talent on defense, and BB as his DC lol.

Had simms not been hurt vs buffalo they may havegone 15-1 and been even better in the playoffs. That was a great team. The injury forced them to alter how they played a little and maybe that was the magic they needed because they beat two amazing teams and two of the most amazing offenses ever.

Can not put into words how big of a win that upset was at candlestick in the championship game. What Parcells and Bellichick came up with to beat those two offenses is truly remarkable. I Believe Bellichick's gameplan for SB 25 is in the hall of fame.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
There was no team that could stop Troy, Emmitt and Irvin in their hey day. Not sure what you’re smoking but I want some of it if you think otherwise.
I never said the cowboys would lose i just said they would not smash the giants or Commanders i think it is an interesting convo to have and discuss those teams were also very talented and i think it is a mistake to just dismiss them and no i do not smoke LOL

MikeB80

Reaction score
I never said the cowboys would lose i just said they would not smash the giants or Commanders i think it is an interesting convo to have and discuss those teams were also very talented and i think it is a mistake to just dismiss them and no i do not smoke LOL

anyone who would dismiss those giants and Commanders teams did not watch them play. They were great. lots of things get labeled great today but these two teams along with the 92 cowboys were truly great. The coaches, the players, the stadiums...all of it. Great teams.

Flamma

Reaction score
Is it conventional wisdom that the 92 Cowboys were better than 93? I was trying to remember the differences, nothing major personnel-wise right? I guess the 92 team's Super Bowl win was more lopsided. But then the 93 team's victory over the 49ers in NFCC was stronger (and we know that was the actual second-best team in the league).

It's hard to say which team was better. I'd say roughly similar. Dallas played the 49ers in Dallas the second time. So even if they were the same team it stands to reason they'd win more convincingly. Logically speaking that is. It doesn't always work that way.

Flamma

Reaction score
I still think that '87 Commanders team was better than their '91 team.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but you might be right. I'm pretty sure Belichick was there for the '90 SB. The Giants D came on strong towards the end of the season. The Giants biggest competition was the Commanders. The Bears, although having a great record, were a shell of what they were a year before. They too feasted on weaker teams all year. I just can't get past the fact the Cowboys played them evenly in both games. The aging talent on that team wasn't even close to the '92 Cowboys roster. I can't see the '86 Giants putting more than 10 points up. Hell, I think they'd have trouble scoring against the '77 Cowboys.
I also think that would have been the giants issue scoring on our D --- i forgot what year the Commanders had ricky sanders and that awesome WR Core but that was a good squad also

Flamma

Reaction score

I wouldn't argue with you about it either. That team was really good. But they were the 2nd best team in the NFC. They needed a miracle to beat the 49ers and they got it.

MikeB80

Reaction score
It's hard to say which team was better. I'd say roughly similar. Dallas played the 49ers in Dallas the second time. So even if they were the same team it stands to reason they'd win more convincingly. Logically speaking that is. It doesn't always work that way.

I think that 93 defense was better, they gave up less points if I remember correctly. They went 12-4 but those two first losses were without Emmitt as we all know the story. With Emmitt they went 15-2 and won the Super Bowl on his back. The second half of SB 28 was all about Emmitt Smith.

1992 was magical though. When I think of that era I always think of the 91 season and the 92 season. The nfc east was so exciting and competitive. There is nothing like it at this moment.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think that 93 defense was better, they gave up less points if I remember correctly. They went 12-4 but those two first losses were without Emmitt as we all know the story. With Emmitt they went 15-2 and won the Super Bowl on his back. The second half of SB 28 was all about Emmitt Smith.

1992 was magical though. When I think of that era I always think of the 91 season and the 92 season. The nfc east was so exciting and competitive. There is nothing like it at this moment.

I think you're right. I do seem to remember that '93 D being a bit better.

MikeB80

Reaction score
I still think that '87 Commanders team was better than their '91 team.

IMO, they were not. the 91 Commanders are one of maybe the 5 greatest teams ever. They were good at everything. They had an amazing home field setting, a great defense and a fantastic offense. The 91 team was better than 87.

those games are all out there on youtube and stuff. Go watch those seasons..90, 91, 92. Every nfc east game is like a playoff game. It was awesome.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I am forever wondering "what if" had Dallas gotten out of the silver dome in January of 92 and gone to RFK the next week.
I watched that detroit game not too long ago, and dallas got out coached and out played. Detroit played great, had good game plan, then
the next week they went back to being normal detroit.
If Dallas could have avoided that game, they might have done something.
Thats why next season jimmy and team were intent on being a top seed, week off and only 2 games to play and play at home.
That game was in detroit I think.

Also that dallas defense just wasnt good enough yet to get them thru a game like that detroit game.