NFL’s Mission: Reach as Many Fans as Possible (NFL Sunday Ticket)

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/07/18/nfl-executive-outlines-mission-for-the-league

With Albert Breer on vacation, we bring back our annual tradition of having guest writers fill in for his Monday Morning Quarterback column. This column comes from Brian Rolapp, chief media and business officer of the NFL

If that all sounds like a lot of work and innovation, it is. If you think we are done, trust me, we are not.

NFL Sunday Ticket has been a fan staple since its inception in 1994 providing a way for avid fans to watch all the NFL games played on Sunday. But we believe it can be a lot better and we are planning a new rollout of NFL Sunday Ticket for the 2023 season. While we are not ready to reveal that just yet, one thing we can say is it will be more innovative, accessible and digital.

This is interesting

And the NFL soon will be launching its own direct-to-consumer service called NFL+.

NFL+ was born out of our belief that to better serve our current fans and help grow new ones, we need to increasingly meet fans where they are. NFL+, a subscription video service housed inside of the NFL app, will do just that.

NFL+ will provide fans access to live local and national NFL games on mobile devices, live out-of-market preseason games across all devices, live local and national audio for every game, NFL Network shows on-demand, NFL Films archives and more—providing football flexibility so fans never have to miss football again.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish they would just come out and say what it will be and how much instead of small tease pieces.
They know what it entails, it is not like it is an ongoing process (there is that word again) where it still needs to be worked out yet.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

With Albert Breer on vacation, we bring back our annual tradition of having guest writers fill in for his Monday Morning Quarterback column. This column comes from Brian Rolapp, chief media and business officer of the NFL

If that all sounds like a lot of work and innovation, it is. If you think we are done, trust me, we are not.

NFL Sunday Ticket has been a fan staple since its inception in 1994 providing a way for avid fans to watch all the NFL games played on Sunday. But we believe it can be a lot better and we are planning a new rollout of NFL Sunday Ticket for the 2023 season. While we are not ready to reveal that just yet, one thing we can say is it will be more innovative, accessible and digital.

This is interesting

And the NFL soon will be launching its own direct-to-consumer service called NFL+.

NFL+ was born out of our belief that to better serve our current fans and help grow new ones, we need to increasingly meet fans where they are. NFL+, a subscription video service housed inside of the NFL app, will do just that.

NFL+ will provide fans access to live local and national NFL games on mobile devices, live out-of-market preseason games across all devices, live local and national audio for every game, NFL Network shows on-demand, NFL Films archives and more—providing football flexibility so fans never have to miss football again.
Hope it's not too expensive!!!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guest writer? He's an ad writer.

People either want Sunday Ticket or they don't for the price they have to pay. I really don't see a lot of improvement on 2M subscribers.

As far as him calling it digital, I hope he's aware terrestrial broadcast signals have been digital for quite some time. It matters a hell of a lot more on what viewers have to watch the game on than the digital broadcast.

glimmerman

Reaction score
They better have options. Like team games instead of all or nothing. The first thing they hit you with is the NFL app will be 7-10 bucks a month. Then they usually have a no add or commercials option they charge another 3-5 bucks a month. Some give a option of a cloud service you could download or record things they will hold for up to a year. That’s another 5 or 10 bucks. Then if you want have high definition they can charge another 3 bucks or so. By then you could be paying 10-20 bucks a month for the basic content. Then they could charge you for all the games like Sunday ticket. Or a smaller amount of you just want to follow your favorite team.. I bet it’s 300 for all games like ST. Then maybe 100 for one team..

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
They better have options. Like team games instead of all or nothing. The first thing they hit you with is the NFL app will be 7-10 bucks a month. Then they usually have a no add or commercials option they charge another 3-5 bucks a month. Some give a option of a cloud service you could download or record things they will hold for up to a year. That’s another 5 or 10 bucks. Then if you want have high definition they can charge another 3 bucks or so. By then you could be paying 10-20 bucks a month for the basic content. Then they could charge you for all the games like Sunday ticket. Or a smaller amount of you just want to follow your favorite team.. I bet it’s 300 for all games like ST. Then maybe 100 for one team..

My thing is really simple.......don't ask me to pay for games I don't wanna watch in order to see the Cowboys. Do that and I'm happy.

glimmerman

Reaction score
My thing is really simple.......don't ask me to pay for games I don't wanna watch in order to see the Cowboys. Do that and I'm happy.
That’s would be follow your team. A app within the app that has all YOUR teams games and news and breakdowns. You can gladly have the NFL+ app for 9.99 a month. If you would like to follow your team it’s 100 bucks a year and never miss a team game. Basically 20 bucks a month year around and you get the app and follow your team. Would you do it. 10 for the app and additional 10 for your team..

BigD_95

Reaction score
I hope you can just pay for single games. I live in PA but Cowboys games are usually on. Maybe 4 games a season aren't on. I hate getting the Sunday ticket just to watch those 4 games

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would like to see the numbers from DTV on which teams and games drive the Sunday Ticket and just how many are watching the games vs The Red Zone Channel. I know quite a few that watch RZC and not one person that watched the individual games as they get their teams on the home broadcast like I do here in central TX.

I think the ST has limited appeal and Apple is just using that to try and level the playing field because they are no close to winning on it. They rank 7th and are the cheapest or they might fall further behind.

Like a lot of technology companies, they don't get content drives the boat. So now they see the Sunday Ticket as content. While Amazon sees it as product because they are producing and getting all of the revenue from their TNF games. They saw no need to try and outbid Apple.

They are also one of the two, Amazon being the other, that allows subscribers to get it for free. Buy an Apple product and get it free for a year.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
I wish they would just come out and say what it will be and how much instead of small tease pieces.
They know what it entails, it is not like it is an ongoing process (there is that word again) where it still needs to be worked out yet.
the NFL makes more money than any other sport, yet they broadcast their games in 720P. I don't get it, MLB, NHL and NBA all offer their games in 4K. I live in Canada and every single Blue Jays, Raptors and Maple Leafs game is broadcasted in 4K yet these leagues make significantly less on their TV deals - what the hell is going on with the NFL here?

Creeper

Reaction score

Something tells me they want to hype whatever is coming because it is not that great, but they want us to think it is once it is announced. For me it has to start with pricing. I am not paying $300 for Sunday Ticket. That is a ripoff for games that are aired over free TV with commercials.

erod

Reaction score
I've only used the Red Zone part of it because the Cowboys games are on local.

However, my plan this year is to basically ONLY watch the Cowboys games, so I'm going to pass on the ST altogether. A lot of people out there like me.

The overall product quality of the NFL is in a steep decline, and people are starting to wander away, including me.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

I googled and found this:

"$293.96

How Much Does NFL Sunday Ticket Cost? NFL Sunday Ticket offers two plans: NFL Sunday Ticket To Go and NFL Sunday Ticket Max. The To Go package currently, at the start of the season) costs $293.96, while the Max Plan costs $395.99. An NFL Sunday Ticket subscription lasts until the end of the regular season."

Not sure how current or accurate this is, though. I will tell you this much - I will cease being a fan of the NFL the moment the sport goes pay-per-view, and that is exactly where things are headed. The greed between the owners and players has become far too much. The NFL is becoming the WWE, and I absolutely hate the WWE.

Hope it's not too expensive!!!

LOL - I hope the water isn't wet when I jump in the pool.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

This is interesting

its very true. the true, hard core NFL fans (usually older) aren't going anywhere, we grumble, mumble and complain, but we watch and follow.

the NFL had to grow the pie, they tried over seas and failed. it just didn't take.

so their one choice to grow the pie was one to make sure fans stick around, and secondly increase the fandom size in US and the one way to do that, is bring in the fringe fans and keep their interest and add more fans who are not football fans, but like the atmosphere, the excitment, etc....so to create interest they introduced more offense (more scoring, more cheering) and increased the fandom size and tried to develop a culture of sunday parties. they also introduced Thursday and Saturday football to get more eyes on the screen.

so far its been successful, but there is only so much they can grow domestically. they know it. so outside of US is still a target but I guess lessons learned from the past. Canada is a small market, but Mexico is a potential target and they are trying England really hard.

the challenge is when you have too many teams, the quality of the product drops rapidly (think 0-16 Detroit and that's one of 32 NFL teams). Think USFL, XFL. think QBs in the 15-32 range. quality drops. so NFL is got a challenge and thus more TV contracts, etc. is for now the way to grow the pie.....and the direct to consumer just cuts out the middle man and helps increase the bottom line.

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That’s would be follow your team. A app within the app that has all YOUR teams games and news and breakdowns. You can gladly have the NFL+ app for 9.99 a month. If you would like to follow your team it’s 100 bucks a year and never miss a team game. Basically 20 bucks a month year around and you get the app and follow your team. Would you do it. 10 for the app and additional 10 for your team..

So basically a $110.00 and I'll get every Cowboy game?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Something tells me they want to hype whatever is coming because it is not that great, but they want us to think it is once it is announced. For me it has to start with pricing. I am not paying $300 for Sunday Ticket. That is a ripoff for games that are aired over free TV with commercials.

Agree 100%........I'll consider paying half of that for Cowboy games only but not a dime more. lol

Flamma

Reaction score

The NFL APP doesn't cost anything. However, that NFL+ thing they're are talking about that attaches itself to the APP probably will.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
The NFL APP doesn't cost anything. However, that NFL+ thing they're are talking about that attaches itself to the APP probably will.

But it only works on phones and tablet. And don't give me this mirror cast thing from phone to TV.

I know you can log into your provider on NFL app to watch on TV but for that you need a separate plan with that provider.

Flamma

Reaction score
I googled and found this:

"$293.96

How Much Does NFL Sunday Ticket Cost? NFL Sunday Ticket offers two plans: NFL Sunday Ticket To Go and NFL Sunday Ticket Max. The To Go package currently, at the start of the season) costs $293.96, while the Max Plan costs $395.99. An NFL Sunday Ticket subscription lasts until the end of the regular season."

Not sure how current or accurate this is, though. I will tell you this much - I will cease being a fan of the NFL the moment the sport goes pay-per-view, and that is exactly where things are headed. The greed between the owners and players has become far too much. The NFL is becoming the WWE, and I absolutely hate the WWE.

LOL - I hope the water isn't wet when I jump in the pool.

I could see them going pay per view for the playoffs. Just not the Super Bowl.

Flamma

Reaction score
But it only works on phones and tablet. And don't give me this mirror cast thing from phone to TV.

I know you can log into your provider on NFL app to watch on TV but for that you need a separate plan with that provider.

Yeah, I only use that APP on my phone. I have to watch the 2nd half of Sunday night football at work.