NFL’s Mission: Reach as Many Fans as Possible (NFL Sunday Ticket)

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think it will just push more fans away.
younger people might ruin their eyes watching games on a phone, but no way i would watch on a phone.
prices are too high already.

owners want more money lol even though they are all billionaires !!:thumbdown:

Jipper

Reaction score
There mission is to make as much money as possible…which means they need to reach as many fans as possible l.

If it was purely about the fans then it would be a true low cost flexible choice option, which we all know is highly unlikely.

just watch, it will still end up costing around that 300 mark

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
There mission is to make as much money as possible…which means they need to reach as many fans as possible l.

If it was purely about the fans then it would be a true low cost flexible choice option, which we all know is highly unlikely.

just watch, it will still end up costing around that 300 mark
It will have to cost around that amount. If it becomes cheap, then the networks lose too many viewers and the billions that CBS and FOX pay for the tv rights will go away.

That is what I’ve heard regarding the pricing.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It will have to cost around that amount.

I agree, but we have to keep in mind that their contract will likely be 5-6 years. Not to mention, they know, like DirecTV, they can keep packages for years if they play their cards right. I expect them to focus the first year or two on gaining viewership and then pricing. In other words, give the customers what they have been screaming for years, packages with creativity and flexibility. They can always increase the price on the backend.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I agree, but we have to keep in mind that their contract will likely be 5-6 years. Not to mention, they know, like DirecTV, they can keep packages for years if they play their cards right. I expect them to focus the first year or two on gaining viewership and then pricing. In other words, give the customers what they have been screaming for years, packages with creativity and flexibility. They can always increase the price on the backend.
Maybe so. It’ll be interesting to see what they do.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Never gave a dime to the NFL/players. Don't live anywhere near Texas. That said, Dallas was on local channels pretty much every week. When they weren't, those great free streaming services worked great.

All that aside. Most millenniums have no interest in football. Times are changing fast!

Jipper

Reaction score
Never gave a dime to the NFL/players. Don't live anywhere near Texas. That said, Dallas was on local channels pretty much every week. When they weren't, those great free streaming services worked great.

All that aside. Most millenniums have no interest in football. Times are changing fast!

not sure where you are getting the idea that the younger fans have no interest in watching football. Playing football is down a bit at the youth level due to the injuries but the NFL as a sport continues to be the 800 pound gorilla across all demographics.

The interest is peaked by combining fantasy, with social media with the games so while the fandom for a specific team may be less intense than in previous generations, the overall expereince continues to accelerate. Additionally, once sports betting becomes even more prevalent i think you will only see an increase in younger fans.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
If the rumors are true and Apple is the front runner, I have little to no confidence in an affordable and easy way for the average NFL fan to be able to watch their team if they live outside the teams viewing market.

erod

Reaction score
not sure where you are getting the idea that the younger fans have no interest in watching football. Playing football is down a bit at the youth level due to the injuries but the NFL as a sport continues to be the 800 pound gorilla across all demographics.

The interest is peaked by combining fantasy, with social media with the games so while the fandom for a specific team may be less intense than in previous generations, the overall expereince continues to accelerate. Additionally, once sports betting becomes even more prevalent i think you will only see an increase in younger fans.
Nope, they care about college football if they went to college, but otherwise, only a small fraction watch the NFL compared to our generations.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it will just push more fans away.
younger people might ruin their eyes watching games on a phone, but no way i would watch on a phone.
prices are too high already.

owners want more money lol even though they are all billionaires !!:thumbdown:
Definition of greed

: a selfish and excessive desire for more of something (such as money) than is needed

Jipper

Reaction score
Nope, they care about college football if they went to college, but otherwise, only a small fraction watch the NFL compared to our generations.

not sure where you all are coming up with these ideas but statistically speaking on a study conducted last year 39% of 13-39 year olds follow the nfl, 44% of millennials follow the NFL, and 49% of 13-39 year old males follow the NFL. They are not a "small fraction" compared to our generations.

Based on the study, the NFL is the top league among Gen Z and millennials as well.

https://www.ypulse.com/article/2021/09/09/do-gen-z-millennials-watch-football-the-answer-in-3-stats/

and if you dont like that one, read the article from McKinsey on exactly what i am saying...that its not whether they watch simply, but how they consume sports, and the NFL is the king of the hill in terms of popularity. This also shows that while millennail viewship is down compared to Gen X, it is not a "small fraction" but rather fairly close and by far the strongest of any league - far outpacing NCAA as well.

https://www.mckinsey.com/~/media/mckinsey/industries/technology media and telecommunications/media and entertainment/our insights/we are wrong about millennial sports fans/we-are-wrong-about-millennial-sports-fans.pdf

DandyDon52

Reaction score

that could be why they want to put the games on phones lol, they think they will watch them if on the phones.
but it would have to be free to watch, then they might pull in some younger people, but they wont pay to watch
something they have little or no interest in.

the nfl is living off the past and older fans, just like the cowboys.
with the downgrade of games and coverage, and owners greed, they are going to kill future business.
many of us are losing interest due to the overpaid players, the childish way they act , the new rules, bad reffing etc etc.
Oh and lets not forget the commish, goodell, who is making money now but killing the future.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
the nfl is living off the past and older fans, just like the cowboys.
with the downgrade of games and coverage, and owners greed, they are going to kill future business.
many of us are losing interest due to the overpaid players, the childish way they act , the new rules, bad reffing etc etc.
Oh and lets not forget the commish, goodell, who is making money now but killing the future.

If the NFL ceased to exist tomorrow I really don't think I would miss it. Unfortunately, that would also destroy the college game at the same time as all the top athletes would no longer have interest in playing. The truth is, they are only playing with hopes of some day getting the NFL pay day. If that reaches a point where it is no longer available, the top athletes would either switch to other sports or not do anything at all. Very few play for the love of the game. Most would just go back to their lives before college, and in many cases that could be detrimental to their lives and well being.

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If the NFL ceased to exist tomorrow I really don't think I would miss it. Unfortunately, that would also destroy the college game at the same time as all the top athletes would no longer have interest in playing. The truth is, they are only playing with hopes of some day getting the NFL pay day. If that reaches a point where it is no longer available, the top athletes would either switch to other sports or not do anything at all. Very few play for the love of the game. Most would just go back to their lives before college, and in many cases that could be detrimental to their lives and well being.

:huh::huh: A lot of speculation here, in fact, a hell of a lot.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I think the ST has limited appeal and Apple is just using that to try and level the playing field because they are no close to winning on it. They rank 7th and are the cheapest or they might fall further behind.
Apple's the only streaming service that offers only original content. If Apple wanted to be Netflix or Disney, Apple would buy Netflix or Disney. Or any number of other media companies. The company has had good chances to acquire both Apple and Disney more than once if it wanted to but apparently being another massive catalog entertainment distributor is not in Apple's plans. Apple has been buying talent and screen projects, not content libraries, and you can argue whether the company is achieving it's goal but its stated mission is "Quality, not quantity."

Apple doesn't need ST to be a huge money maker. Apple has been dropping billions on content creation and now it's going after live sports to round out its appeal. If Apple does get ST it will be a drop in Apple's revenue bucket. What Apple needs is the halo effect of the NFL to shine light on AppleTV+ content and AppleTV hardware, so I'm betting ST will be packaged as friendly to consumers as the NFL will let Apple get away with.

But it only works on phones and tablet.
The NFL app is available on Google TV, AppleTV, Fire TV, PlayStation, Roku and XBOX.

https://www.nfl.com/apps/ctv

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It will have to cost around that amount. If it becomes cheap, then the networks lose too many viewers and the billions that CBS and FOX pay for the tv rights will go away.

That is what I’ve heard regarding the pricing.
good point