NFL admits mistake on play

RonWashington

Reaction score
Well, now i feel better about the loss. At least they said they were sorry. :rolleyes:

How did they miss this ? Then on a ticky tack DB WR having contact they call “ pass interference “ and it ends up being a 35 yard penalty. Too much discretion on the part of the NFL officials it’s either a penalty or it isn’t when it’s blatant.

Hardline

Reaction score
The refs made Penn State punt on third down tonight! I saw it!
The refs also let Memphis return a punt that was touched by the punt team and the play should've been called dead but the officials allowed Memphis to pick up a dead ball and be returned for a game winning touchdown.
Mississippi St. Got royally screwed.

Last edited:

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I remember being pissed off and mentioning it during the game day thread.

Water under the bridge now.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
What mistake are they talking about? Calling it a mistake implies that it was not 100% consistent with Goodell's overall plan.. which is to make sure the Cowboys never win another anything on his watch. I mean do people really think it was a coincidence that after getting ONE holding call the entire game the Cowboys suffered two on the drive in which they were moving (rather impressively at that) towards a potential game winning TD against the Bucs? Now the one against Williams was probably a good call.. but that JPP flop against Tyron was FIFA worthy.. Tyron drove his arse into the ground and he did the old throw up the arms and flail like you're being held and got the flag. Again, I wish I could say I was surprised.. but I was not nor will I ever been when it comes to the Cowboys getting screwed. I have seen people point out that the Bucs had more penalties for more yards than did the Cowboys.. Over half their penalty yardage was on pass interference calls, most of which were painfully obvious and if they had not committed them it was just going to be completed passing yardage instead of penalty yards. The refs also couldn't find their flags Tampa's last drive except for the obvious false start when they really had no choice.. All that is to say that all penalties are not created equal. Three PI's on a second quarter drive are nowhere near as impactful as two holding penalties on a potential game winning drive in the last 3 minutes of the game..

Creeper

Reaction score
At least this clear up the argument about the rule, but what is the point in fining a player for something like this? Would they fine a player who jumped offsides but wasn't called for it? It's like the league is shifting the blame for missing the call from the refs to the player.

Carson

Reaction score
when they going to admit Dez caught it?:angry:
It’ll be another 15-20 years. They’ll have a special on NFL Network and Goodell will be long retired. He will drink his bourbon and chuckle. “Oh yeah we couldn’t have Dallas win another super bowl”

tyke1doe

Reaction score
You have had that attitude for 25 years? Even when they went 13 and 3?
Our futility extends for 25 years. And both times when we had home-field advantage with 13-3 records, we lost the first game in the playoffs. So much for home-field advantage. :rolleyes:

rambo2

Reaction score
Our futility extends for 25 years. And both times when we had home-field advantage with 13-3 records, we lost the first game in the playoffs. So much for home-field advantage. :rolleyes:
So what, we have an exciting team this year and should win the division.

TXdvsz

Reaction score
This take is always baffling. Fans don't have to "move on to the next game". Discussing it will have no impact on the players whatsoever.
I agree, but it's not my only take away from the game from a fans perspective.

ESisback

Reaction score
What mistake are they talking about? Calling it a mistake implies that it was not 100% consistent with Goodell's overall plan.. which is to make sure the Cowboys never win another anything on his watch. I mean do people really think it was a coincidence that after getting ONE holding call the entire game the Cowboys suffered two on the drive in which they were moving (rather impressively at that) towards a potential game winning TD against the Bucs? Now the one against Williams was probably a good call.. but that JPP flop against Tyron was FIFA worthy.. Tyron drove his arse into the ground and he did the old throw up the arms and flail like you're being held and got the flag. Again, I wish I could say I was surprised.. but I was not nor will I ever been when it comes to the Cowboys getting screwed. I have seen people point out that the Bucs had more penalties for more yards than did the Cowboys.. Over half their penalty yardage was on pass interference calls, most of which were painfully obvious and if they had not committed them it was just going to be completed passing yardage instead of penalty yards. The refs also couldn't find their flags Tampa's last drive except for the obvious false start when they really had no choice.. All that is to say that all penalties are not created equal. Three PI's on a second quarter drive are nowhere near as impactful as two holding penalties on a potential game winning drive in the last 3 minutes of the game..

Exactly. They keep records on the NUMBER of penalties, which shows Dallas ISN’T #1 in that category. What they DON’T show is the timing and type of penalty. Dallas ALWAYS gets the subjective, drive killing holding, interference or roughing flags at the worst times. 90 yard pass play, setting up the winning score? Wait! Holding! Third and 14, QB sack for Dallas? Roughing the passer! First down! Or pass interference, automatic first down!

And the Steelers? Opposite end of the scale! They usually get these calls in their favor, but they don’t keep stats on THAT! Now watch the “realist” Dallas “fans” start scoffing about whiny conspiracy nuts! So predictably funny!

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
what a joke... who cares? Who cares that the easiest call a ref will ever have, and one that the entire stadium, TV audience and every player was sitting there looking right at, and they didnt call it. Why have freaking rules at all. This was not subjective like the AB push off... this was black and white simple. Screw the NFL, im pissed right now.

We all should be, but what will it change?

RonWashington

Reaction score

The refs sure had the Chargers # today . Everything from “ illegal shift “ taking a TD off the board to “ holding “ on about every third Herbert pass. It’s nice when the opposition has a 100 yards in penalties and Dallas biggest problems is self inflicted going for a blocked punt on 4th and the Nevada border or McCarthy losing the game clock at the end .