NFL All Time QBs: Where Cowboys QBs rank?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by quickccc, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Whirlwin

Whirlwin Well-Known Member

11,721 Messages
    6,928 Likes Received
    Terry Bradshaw Warren moon. Jim Kelly. They all should be at the top of the list in my opinion

2. Whirlwin

11,721 Messages
    6,928 Likes Received
    Brady Montana Marino shuffle them anyway you want

3. Whirlwin

11,721 Messages
    6,928 Likes Received
    Dan Fouts shouldn’t even be on the list. And where is the snake

4. Captain-Crash

Captain-Crash Well-Known Member

7,288 Messages
    9,026 Likes Received
    I'm not a kelly fan. In big games, he always got hurt

5. Whirlwin

11,721 Messages
    6,928 Likes Received
    4 straight Super Bowls

6. Whirlwin

11,721 Messages
    6,928 Likes Received
    I can’t believe the snake is not in that group

DenCWBY and Captain-Crash like this.
  7. Captain-Crash

7,288 Messages
    9,026 Likes Received
    always "got hurt when he got behind" almost like it was his calling card.

Whirlwin likes this.
  8. Cowboysfan917

Cowboysfan917 Well-Known Member

972 Messages
    1,211 Likes Received
    I unfortunately never saw Roger live but from what I have seen in old games, highlights, etc, would it be a stretch to say that he was the Mahomes of that generation?

9. Captain-Crash

7,288 Messages
    9,026 Likes Received
    you were never out of a game if Roger got the ball back at the end of the game.

DenCWBY and Bobhaze like this.
  10. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Zone Supporter

7,000 Messages
    7,916 Likes Received
    Not a stretch at all. He was definitely the best quarterback of the 70s, and there were some excellent ones in that era, for example, Fran Tarkenton, Kenny Stabler, Terry Bradshaw, Jim Hart, Bob Griese, and some others I can't think of at the moment. Those guys were outstanding quarterbacks and their teams were lucky to have them, but I would take Roger above any of them.

JJHLH1, Bobhaze and 75boyz like this.
  11. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Moderator

8,128 Messages
    25,336 Likes Received
    You’re right that his spotlight keeps him in the discussion but he’s not even close to HOF material. Winning 2 playoff games, both wild card wins is just a very anemic record where it counts most for HOF voters- the playoffs. Dan Marino won 8 playoff games and did make it to a SB. Romo never came close. He will certainly be in the ROH soon, but never the HOF.

Blackrain, quickccc and JJHLH1 like this.
  12. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Moderator

8,128 Messages
    25,336 Likes Received
    The thing about Roger that never shows on a stat sheet is how much he raised the level of play of his team. And more importantly, look at how many times he made huge plays when you absolutely had to have it.

Everyone remembers the “Hail Mary” TD to Drew Pearson- certainly a top 5 greatest play in NFL history and it was in the playoffs. But what many forget is the play he made in the same game with no timeouts and facing a 4th and 17 with seconds remaining. He threw an absolute dart to Pearson for 21 yards and a first down. The Hail Mary was 2 plays later. Roger was a killer. His teams were never out of it.

13. pete026

pete026 Well-Known Member

584 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    I saw Roger play at the Yale Bowl against the Giants. Yankee Stadium was being renovated so the Giants played in the soggy Yale Bowl. Roger didn't have a very good game passing mostly because the Cowboys steam-rolled them for about 200 yards of rushing.

Background: I was a Connecticut 13 year old at church, bugging my father to leave so I wouldn’t miss any of the pre-game on TV. So he asked me if I really wanted to see the game and I said yeah - let's get home. Next thing I know I was watching the Cowboys team bus pulling up to the stadium.

So I saw my new favorite player, Drew Pearson (after Chuck Howley retired), throw a 49 yard TD bomb to Golden Richards that day.

Now those were truly "better times"!

Bobhaze, Captain-Crash and DenCWBY like this.
  14. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Well-Known Member

6,033 Messages
    4,905 Likes Received

15. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Well-Known Member

6,033 Messages
    4,905 Likes Received
    This. IF the DC were down big at halftime which was rare, you never left your seat knowing there would be a game in the 4th quarter.

Captain-Crash likes this.
  16. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

9,537 Messages
    8,262 Likes Received
    A list like this is really hard to do. But when I consider everything, because lets face it, this is a team sport. Besides Brady, John Elway is the best QB I've seen play when you take into consideration the era and team he played for.

17. TwistedL0g1k

TwistedL0g1k Well-Known Member

744 Messages
    1,084 Likes Received
    Aikman was a better QB than Staubach.

18. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

10,975 Messages
    8,272 Likes Received
    Bart Starr always seems to get short thrift on these lists:
    • 5 Championships / Superbowl victories
    • Multiple seasons with a QB rating above 100 (in the 1960s!)
    • Playoff QB rating of 105 (over 10 games), only finally surpassed 50 years later by Patrick Mahomes
    He and Aikman both are under-rated in that they were QBs on teams with boatloads of HOFers who got more acclaim.

19. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

17,580 Messages
    15,144 Likes Received
    Useful comparison list at the Pro Football Reference HOF Monitor.
    Staubach is 17th among QBs. Aikman has the 2nd lowest score among HOF QBs, only above Jim Kelly.
    Per their list, Staubach, Aikman, Romo, White. Sounds right to me.
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_QB.htm

Interesting to look at Staubach's stats and season rankings. 4 years tops in the league for passer rating, various yards/att metrics, int%.

71 was simply freakish. Passer rating 15 points higher than the next best QB, while running 41 times for 8.4 ypc. Craig Morton was 9th in the league, and 30 points behind Staubach.

Always gotta normalize for the era a player was in. Normally rank in the league is a good metric, but there's being 1st, then there's being miles ahead of the pack. 1st just doesn't express what Staubach did in 71.
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StauRo00.htm

20. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

34,903 Messages
    14,090 Likes Received
    Elway is a top 5 QB. He carried some Denver teams to Super Bowls that had no business being there and only Brady has had more SB appearances. I have him third on my all-time QB list.