NFL and NFLPA joint agreement on pain management, potentially including marijuana

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whichever side of this driving under the influence of anything you are on isn't really applicable as it is illegal to drive under the influence as texting is in most states and I see it every time I go out.

As far as the gateway drug question, that is totally dependent on the person, just as becoming an alcoholic is. The fact that pot is illegal in most states doesn't stop people from trying it and now that this pain management part of it has gone public, there is a lot more interest from the older demographic in it.

If alcohol is legal, there is no reason for properly controlled and regulated marijuana not to be legal, with the same restrictions applied. But allowed for recreational use as well.

Ask any cop about the negative effects of alcohol, especially with domestic violence, vs pot related events. Alcohol is legal and regulated and the end result is 100% on the user. It should be the same with pot as long as the consumer is totally aware of what they're smoking regarding the effects and strength level.

I haven't smoked any in over 8 years, when I got some for my wife going through chemo, but even with the warning from the supplier about the strength level, I went at least one hit too many and I am glad I was at home and if I'd found my keys, not sure I would have known what to do with them. My usage goes back to the late 60's, took at least half, if not a whole joint, to get buzzed but with that stuff I was gone in one and after three was wondering if I'd return. This guy was on the cutting edge like the CO growers are now and pursuing the ultimate high and I'm pretty sure if he hadn't gotten into marijuana, and actually has a bakery case in his house with a hell of an assortment of edibles, he would have tried to build the Frankenstein monster.

As far as this alcohol vs marijuana debate concerning the inherent dangers, I can only speak from experience but I never got into trouble because of my mouth or temper while high and cannot say the same for alcohol. Someone might think, hell man, why do either? I can only answer that with when they stop giving me damned good reason to escape the insanity of this country, I'll consider giving up my cocktails and fooling myself that it's not really as bad as I think it is. Good luck to me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He was definitely different but he used to be one hell of a coach and recruiter but he did fit into Booger's framework of "Boys will be boys".

I meet him one time in LAX. We were both flying to DFW and the flight was delayed. Gotta say though, he was pretty good about talking and just being accessible. We talked for awhile. It was funny because I told him that I was both a Horns fan and a Cowboy fan and he screwed us both. He laughed out load on that but he was good spirited about it.

RoboQB

Reaction score
You keep contradicting yourself ..... Legalizing use of MJ for medical purposes does all the things your complaining about. A Doctor has to prescribe MJ just like Narcotic pain killers. They actually give you a state ID to be able to get said MJ. MJ has different strains and different methods of use depending on the patient's needs. In layman's terms, different strengths, uses and effects " just like shopping for OTC meds Headache, cough ect ect " So since people are in the states database , it is monitored. Now of course there will be abuse ... but we have that now with anything. Also just because something is legal or illegal won't stop people from getting or using. The NFL can even implement its on policies and guidelines on it. Its all very simple things if you dont let your biases get in way

Dude, you're wasting your time with ABQ. Ignore his "thread closed" comment as well. It just means he's been
cornered and can't bs his way out of it. He talks in circles, so he'll never stop, even when called out on his ignorance.
He seems to think he's of some importance on the board. He's not.

I enjoyed reading your post about the many uses of hemp. I was wondering if someone was going to
mention that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dude, you're wasting your time with ABQ. Ignore his "thread closed" comment as well. It just means he's been
cornered and can't bs his way out of it. He talks in circles, so he'll never stop, even when called out on his ignorance.
He seems to think he's of some importance on the board. He's not.

I enjoyed reading your post about the many uses of hemp. I was wondering if someone was going to
mention that.

You know what, I hope you do continue to cross the line on this discussion. You don't deserve a thread like this because you don't have respect for the forum rules.

Go ahead, continue to make this about things outside of football. See what happens.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Are you suggesting that a precedent has not been set?

You'd be hard pressed to find one in which a company is punished for an action of an employee outside of work. Not to mention being punished for not doing something that has no legal requirement.

Haimerej

Reaction score
You can't do that if you allow weed, Medical or otherwise because you will be expected to reasonably police that policy and how do you do that if you are the NFL? I

Why? I don't see how you go from not testing for it to having to police it. It's like you think the NFL has an obligation to enforce laws.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You'd be hard pressed to find one in which a company is punished for an action of an employee outside of work. Not to mention being punished for not doing something that has no legal requirement.

But it's not "outside of work" with the NFL. I mean, I don't think I would be hard pressed at all. I think you can look at the NFL itself and find examples of this. I mean, isn't Robert Craft and the New England Patriots example of this same thing? What Craft did, on his own time, was still subject to scrutiny by the NFL and was punished by the NFL. It happens all the time because there is no "Outside of work" in the NFL.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Why? I don't see how you go from not testing for it to having to police it. It's like you think the NFL has an obligation to enforce laws.

I guess I don't understand your point here. The NFL does have an obligation to enforce their own rules. I mean, there is not question of that. That's why the league exists. There was Professional Football way before there was ever a Commissioner. The Commissioner was introduced to do just that. To enforce rules.

Haimerej

Reaction score
But it's not "outside of work" with the NFL. I mean, I don't think I would be hard pressed at all. I think you can look at the NFL itself and find examples of this. I mean, isn't Robert Craft and the New England Patriots example of this same thing? What Craft did, on his own time, was still subject to scrutiny by the NFL and was punished by the NFL. It happens all the time because there is no "Outside of work" in the NFL.

They're enforcing a code of conduct. If they stop caring about weed there's no violation to police.

Haimerej

Reaction score
I guess I don't understand your point here. The NFL does have an obligation to enforce their own rules. I mean, there is not question of that. That's why the league exists. There was Professional Football way before there was ever a Commissioner. The Commissioner was introduced to do just that. To enforce rules.

We're talking about changing the rule... remember?

Haimerej

Reaction score
Furthermore, you've been saying the league would be responsible if a player was high and broke a law. That's not true, but maybe it's informing your idea that they have to police it even after deciding not to.

RoboQB

Reaction score
You know what, I hope you do continue to cross the line on this discussion. You don't deserve a thread like this because you don't have respect for the forum rules.

Go ahead, continue to make this about things outside of football. See what happens.

What line? Someone gives you an informative post providing some background of "MJ" which
is within the topic and you come back, like Gomer Pyle screaming citizen's arrest, claiming his
comment will get this thread closed. That's internet bullying 101.

You continue to take a hard approach and attack anyone that knows more about it than you.
Is that not breaking at least one of the forum rules?

Most people are friendly on the board. You always appear to be looking for a fight.
That's also against the rules.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
They're enforcing a code of conduct. If they stop caring about weed there's no violation to police.

Yeah, I don't agree with that. The NFL is in sales basically. They sell a product called Professional Football, they sell entertainment. They have customers and those customer bases have opinions. There is a very large segment of their customer base who do not like the idea of Weed being allowed, never mind this idea that the NFL will not be held accountable by forces outside of their own sphere. It is not wise, IMO, to ignore this issue. Ignoring something usually doesn't make it go away. It only creates an environment for it to get worse.

JMO

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
As long as marijuana possession and its use remain a crime in most states and — more importantly — a federal crime, the NFL isn’t gonna invite challenges to their anti-trust exemption by aggressively bucking the status quo.

They may look into the pot issue, as this article says, but don’t hold your breath while expecting meaningful changes any time soon.
They don't have to challenge any laws. They just have to remove it from their list of banned substances, or not test for it. Don't ask, don't tell.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Furthermore, you've been saying the league would be responsible if a player was high and broke a law. That's not true, but maybe it's informing your idea that they have to police it even after deciding not to.

Is it really "me" or is it the actions of the NFL for the past 20 years? I mean, there is substantial proof that illustrates clearly that the NFL does and is active in policing their own league. I don't think it's realistic to assume that they will just stop this behavior, especially since this Commissioner was hired to do exactly that. I mean, does that really make a lot of sense to you?

I don't think that it's accurate to say that it's my opinion as much as it is the policy of the NFL.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What line? Someone gives you an informative post providing some background of "MJ" which
is within the topic and you come back, like Gomer Pyle screaming citizen's arrest, claiming his
comment will get this thread closed. That's internet bullying 101.

You continue to take a hard approach and attack anyone that knows more about it than you.
Is that not breaking at least one of the forum rules?

Most people are friendly on the board. You always appear to be looking for a fight.
That's also against the rules.

You are free to report any post that you think crosses the line. In fact, I encourage it, it's why the function exists. Please, go a head do that. Also, please, stop crying. You don't like what I post or my views, that's to bad for you. You have options, use them.

RoboQB

Reaction score
You are free to report any post that you think crosses the line. In fact, I encourage it, it's why the function exists. Please, go a head do that. Also, please, stop crying. You don't like what I post or my views, that's to bad for you. You have options, use them.

The only one crying on this board is you.
One day, you'll have nobody to cry to.

You really need to work on your people skills.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The only one crying on this board is you.
One day, you'll have nobody to cry to.

You really need to work on your people skills.

Yep, good advice. I'll give it it's just due and move on. Anything else or you just want to cry some more?