Twitter: NFL announces new domestic violence policy

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 2m
Goodell to owners on Rice: "My disciplinary decision led the public to question our sincerity, our commitment ...
(Goodell cont): "... , and whether we understood the toll that domestic violence inflicts on so many families. I take responsibility ..."
(Goodell cont): "both for the decision and for ensuring that our actions in the future properly reflect our values. I didn’t get it right."
Roger Goodell to the owners: "These steps are based on a clear, simple principle: domestic violence and sexual assault are wrong."

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 2m
Goodell's letter to owners re: domestic violence calls for 6 games for first offense but can be higher, depending on "mitigating factors."

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt 25s
Obvious questions re domestic violence suspensions re what draws discipline: charge? conviction? accusation? corroboration? plea? etc.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Goodell from one extreme to another. I can't stand DM. But punishment needs to be inline. 4-8-1 year lifetime ban kinda like the substance abuse program.

adamknite

Reaction score
Goodell from one extreme to another. I can't stand DM. But punishment needs to be inline. 4-8-1 year lifetime ban kinda like the substance abuse program.

I agree.

I don't want to say too much because I don't want it to seem that I am accepting of these people's actions that would do that... but immediately 6 games seems like a knee jerk reaction to me.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
So you can be the mastermind of a large scale organized crime syndicate, like Michael Vick, and just get suspended a year. You can kill someone while drunk, and only get 8 games (Leonard Little). Doesn't make any sense.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not going to say I agree or disagree, as I really haven't thought about it much yet.
But if this seems kind of harsh for a lifetime ban on the 2nd offense. Is it a kneew jerk reaction on his part, because basically Ray Rice is getting away with practically nothing then for punishment, so the next in line gets it worse.

Seems he is doing his usual on making up policies, and throwing darts at a board.
I do believe domestic violence should carry more of a punishment than substance abuse.